Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:39:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686616
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Void Crows, a 40K space salvage crew.  (Read 17307 times)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Void Crows, a 40K space salvage crew.
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2015, 06:32:56 AM »
Eilif, Mass Effect was a pretty good sci-fi epic story told over 3 video games.  Lots of great space opera ideas used and it was a lot of fun. If you can ignore the last 5 mins of the final Mass effect 3. lol
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2015, 10:02:28 AM »
Elbows, I know what you mean. If we could get todays miniature quality with the company attitude and creativity of the 1st/2nd ed 40k era, it would be perfect. Sadly, we have what we have, and the best we can do is scavenge the good bits from between the mounds of dross (like proper Underhivers...).

I guess that's more or less what I'm doing through projects such as these, cherry-picking the best from the old and new versions of the universe/the company and cherishing what I love about the setting while going my own way with it.

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2015, 07:12:17 PM »
The itinerant preacher had some more work done today. Here is how he looks now:

He still has a bit to go before he is finished though:
The book still needs to be attached to his staff properly, with some metal bands I think. The rods on his pack need to be turned into candles with greenstuff and copper wire wicks. The foil purity seals on his shoulders are awaiting some greenstuff wax seals.
I'd like to add a brass etch aquila to his gorget, but I need to check if they fit first. Maybe he could also use a spare book somewhere and a proper Ecclesiarchy Icon about his person too.  Mark him as an official member of the clergy somehow.
There are still bare areas; his stomach plate and the upper part of his pack, I'm wondering if I should leave them bare to retain some of the void suit lines, or add something, maybe a few purity seals to them?

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2015, 02:18:16 PM »
I just finished a quick conversion for a Sealant Foam Gun, aka Webber or Web Gun for one of my Salvage crew members with a slab-shield and wanted to share it with you. (I've yet to decide what the slab-shield will look like though...)

Here she is:

Just a quick conversion using the Cadian flamer, a Space Marine flamer canister and the (inverted) nozzle from a Chaos Space Marine vehicle accesory combi-flamer. I think it looks unique and identifiable enough to read as a Web Gun instead of a flamer.
Now I just need to make sure I model some canisters of foam/web solvent on the figure as well...

Oh, and the Preacher conversion is finished. But I forgot to take a picture... :(

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2015, 02:27:12 PM »
Nice job on the webber! I just poured a silicone mold yesterday, I sculpted a webber based off the RT version. Can't wait to see if it worked :p
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2015, 02:52:54 PM »
Ooh, I can't wait to see if it worked either... Did you make any pictures before molding?

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2015, 03:52:13 PM »
The candles on the preacher have been just the inspiration i needed for my Inquisitor conversion that  am doing at the moment, i needed a wy to do candles and there we go haha  lol

Looking grand so far too for all pieces :)
.: Logan's band of survivors of the battle of Ursun's teeth :.

For blog posts with more info here.....
http://let-the-galaxy-burn-again.blogspot.co.uk/
And the vlogs here....
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzyMQNtc1ANwIbEN80M-gwA

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2015, 07:58:52 PM »
Great work! Sadly I haven't worked too much on mine. New job taken up mu hobbie time

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2015, 09:48:48 PM »
This is all so good. Looking forward to those pictures.

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2015, 10:53:37 PM »
That preacher is a great conversion. Coming together really nicely.

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2015, 11:35:31 PM »
I've got some of those Chaos flamers, I might attempt that myself :)
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2015, 09:32:02 AM »
Cool, absolutely cool! This last idea about the web gun is great! I also need to try that myself! :-*

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2015, 09:43:44 AM »
Thank you guys!

Matthais-Mouse, after cutting the plastic rod and glueing them on, I added a wick from a thin piece of copper wire. I planned to do the wax with sculpted greenstuff, but I came across a tutorial that mentioned "painting" on a few layers of PVA glue with a toothpick to make the molten wax. So I tried that. It doesn't show up well on photo, but I'll take a pic of the final effect once painted.

Once I had the idea the conversion went surprisingly simple. I'd been thinking how to do a webber for a while now, but was always stumped by how to make it distinct from a flamer to avoid confusion. I'm especially happy that I managed it with only currently available parts and without any sculpting or scratchbuilding. Especially as I made something that looked very much different from a flamer, from flamer parts only...  lol

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2015, 10:41:44 AM »
I look forward to seeing the painted effect. An alternative to pva glue would liquid green stuff I imagine too?

The webber conversion looks almost xenos in technology haha. Eldar-esque almost haha.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2015, 02:53:58 AM »
Ooh, I can't wait to see if it worked either... Did you make any pictures before molding?

Finally got a chance to snap a photo. I'm working on making a set of RT weapons that were never made as separate parts. So far I have a webgun, heavy webber, and grenade launcher. I'm still nailing down the casting issues, I'm having issues on some parts that seemed like they'd be easy, and others that have thin areas are doing fine.

I'm loving your project by the way, I've been collecting figures for quasi-space hulk games and your thread is great inspiration.