Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:44:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690339
  • Total Topics: 118326
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Operation Herkules - Italians @ Malta 1942  (Read 10556 times)

Offline ancientsociety

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
Operation Herkules - Italians @ Malta 1942
« on: March 03, 2015, 03:18:23 AM »
For this year's Adepticon, I decided to start playing Bolt Action. It's a game I've been meaning to get into for a few years now but just never had the time or inclination to choose a national force. This past autumn I finished reading an excellent book about the Siege of Malta during World War 2 and the aborted joint Italian/German invasion of the island. Siege: Malta 1940-1943 focused mainly on the naval operations  mounted from Malta to harass the Afrika Korps naval convoys and the mass bombing campaign to force the island into capitulation.

This got me thinking though - what if the planned invasion of Malta, known as Operazione C3: Malta and colloquially as Operation Herkules, had actually happened? In reality, by the winter of 1941-42, continued Luftwaffe bombing and the loss of several Allied naval relief convoys had brought the island to the breaking point. What if Hitler could have finally been convinced that the taking of Malta would have relieved pressure on Rommel's supply lines? What if Generalmajor Kurt Student, planner of the successful yet costly invasion of Crete, was given a second chance to carry out plans for the airborne invasion of Malta? And finally, what if the normally cautious leaders of the Regia Marina, in contrast to their concept of "a fleet in being", mounted a full-scale offensive amphibious invasion of the island?

In keeping with the pulpy nature of Bolt Action, I'm assembling my Italians for a tabletop invasion of Malta in early 1942. I'm trying to stay as close to the realistic plans and unit assignments for Operation Herkules. As such, I'm using a core of Italian Folgore Airborne and amphibious support units from the MVSN Gruppo Battaglione Da Sbarco. Eventually, I'll add a unit of San Marco Marines, German Fallschirmjager, and captured Russian AFVs from 2.PzAbt.zbV66.

More pics and info below:
http://empireofghosts.blogspot.com/2015/03/operation-herkules-italians-malta-1942.html

Folgore Weapons Teams

"Fixed" Folgore Commander

Objectives

L3 Lanciafiamme "Compact"

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
Re: Operation Herkules - Italians @ Malta 1942
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 06:52:47 AM »
A great idea - looking forward to seeing this one develop.
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 06:55:27 AM »
This is interesting.
If you need scouting and recce I can help with false info. from location. Can't be a traitor to the side, can I?  ;) :D

Something you want to do is a defaced limestone milestone - there are still several around the countryside. And rubble walls. Lots!
Nice start with the tankette and scenery.  8) 8)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 06:57:21 AM by Vanvlak »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 07:37:31 AM »
An interesting read is 'The Moscow option' (possible alternative history) which includes the German High Command moving a lot of aircraft from the Russian front (no use there in winter) and using it in the successful invasion of Malta.
I too will be interested in this thread, as my father was part of the British army defending it.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 12:52:05 PM »

I too will be interested in this thread, as my father was part of the British army defending it.
Really? I guess my parents would say 'thanks'  :D
My mother's family knew one soldier well enough - they were kids, and he used to bring them sweets. No idea of the regiment; he was from Derby, passed away some years back.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 12:54:48 PM by Vanvlak »

Offline Beast of Bukhara

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 09:14:24 PM »
Me too looking forward to more on this project  :-* :-*

Offline ancientsociety

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 04:37:26 PM »
Finished my dry stone walls for the Italian defensive position rule, as well as painting up the majority of the objectives. I used both to experiment with the distinctive red-brown soil color of Malta - neither of which I'm entirely happy with.

Much more pics and info below:
http://empireofghosts.blogspot.com/2015/03/italians-malta-1942-defensive-walls.html

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 05:30:44 PM »
Finished my dry stone walls for the Italian defensive position rule, as well as painting up the majority of the objectives. I used both to experiment with the distinctive red-brown soil color of Malta - neither of which I'm entirely happy with.

We also get more clayey, less intensely coloured soil - in fact if you drybrush the reddish stuff slghtly witha pale colour it should be right.
Very nice walls!  8) 8) 8)

Offline ancientsociety

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 11:09:18 PM »
Just a quick update for today. Progress has been exceedingly slow - as much as I like the Airborne sculpts, the facial detail leaves a lot to be desired and it took me about an hour just to get the eyes and pupils somewhat right on all the minis. As of this post, 90% of the minis have skin fully painted and I'll be moving unto uniforms next. Here's a good example of how they all look - the Airborne FAO (I love his facial expression!) -

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 11:28:27 PM »
Loving the walls  and the objectives are great :-* :-* :-*

Offline Into The Eagle`s Nest

• Assistant
    • INTO THE EAGLE`S NEST
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 09:05:08 AM »
Lovely scenery! I more the scenery type guy myself and it`s a nice inspiration. Keep on rockin`!  :)

Offline ancientsociety

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 11:41:59 PM »
Just wanted t share my almost complete MVSN Gruppo Da Sbarco squad.

The Battaglione Gruppo Da Sbarco were a specially-trained amphibious assault Blackshirt regiment raised for the Invasion of Malta. After the cancellation of Operation Herkules, Da Sbarco was split in two groups - one taking part in the bloodless seizure of Corsica and the other being stationed on the southern French coast. The Corsican Group eventually joined the Allies, while the French Group battled partisans alongside the German Brandenburgers.

http://empireofghosts.blogspot.com/2015/03/italians-malta-1942-pip-gruppo-da-sbarco.html

Offline ancientsociety

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 12:24:29 AM »

Finally got my airbrush up and running this past weekend and was able to complete the Lanciafiamme tankette/objective marker. The camouflage pattern is actually a copy of the allied "Malta Camouflage" painted on British Matildas stationed on the island. The pattern itself is made to help the AFV blend in with the irregular stone walls throughout Malta.

http://empireofghosts.blogspot.com/2015/03/italians-malta-1942-lanciafiamme.html

Offline marcusluis

• Scientist
    • marcos painting blog
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 01:33:40 AM »
nice where are the sbarco from?

Offline ancientsociety

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 03:33:19 AM »
nice where are the sbarco from?

Sbarco are all Black Tree Design Italians with Rifles. Nice figs, they scale well with the Airborne. It's a pity BTD doesn't produce gun crew and weapons teams.