Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:37:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What is a good ruleset for space battles?  (Read 8858 times)

Offline Nightmask

• Scientist
What is a good ruleset for space battles?
« on: March 05, 2015, 11:38:41 AM »
So what is a good rule set for space battles? :)

Nightmask
Toys, Toys, yes....yes.... they are ALIVE!

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: What is a good ruleset for space battles?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 11:39:56 AM »
Depends what kind of space battle you want.

For big battleship battles i really like Battlefleet Gothic.

For space Dogfights I like X-wing

Offline Mad Mecha Guy

• Librarian
    • Mad Mecha Guy
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 01:14:15 PM »
Could try Full Thrust, easy & cheap (free), can be used with any miniature range.
http://groundzerogames.co.uk/index.php?_a=category&cat_id=130

EmeraldCoastskunkworks are doing Full Thrust Continum Rules for more add-ons/mods https://emeraldcoastskunkworks.wordpress.com

Regards

MMG.
"It's the Fumes I say, the Fumes, those lovely Laser Cut MDF fumes"

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 08:02:06 PM »
I find colonial battlefleet to be particularly good. I have however not yet actually played it.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 08:23:25 PM »
Wide variety available; tell us more of what you'd like to do.

Genre specific? Space fighters, ponderous dreadnaughts? Do you want to Captain (deal with details of particular ships), Commodore (small groups), or Admiral (vast fleets moving at your whim)?

Any particular naval games with rules that appeal?

My good [mail list] friend Dean, otherwise known as Star Ranger, has a site he claims is behind, but is still a damn fine survey. Starship Combat News

I'd have to say, while I enjoy LAF more, TMP (The Miniatures Page) has a thread on Spaceship Gaming that has a good number of discussions very like this one. Alas, search functionality is one of the things that is far superior here.

Doug

PS I'm a Full Thrust fanboy from the late 90's; fair warning!

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 08:36:09 PM »
I hear good things about X-Wing, a dog-fightsystem.

For the Big Ships nothing ever surpassed Full Thrust for me. Fantastic system that covers capital ships and fighter groups alike and is free as well.
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 06:55:37 AM »
For a few (about half a dozen max) ships per side, I recommend Squadron Strike:
http://www.adastragames.com/squadron-strike/

Can't say I have experience with any other system tho so maybe that doesn't count as a serious tip o_o

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 09:25:31 PM »
For a few (about half a dozen max) ships per side, I recommend Squadron Strike:
http://www.adastragames.com/squadron-strike/

Can't say I have experience with any other system tho so maybe that doesn't count as a serious tip o_o

Never heard of that before, so I bought the pdf collection and started reading trough it. How do you even play this game????  :o Only the 2d option I guess?

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 10:19:48 PM »
Second the rec that you ask this over on the Starship Combat News forums, and check the main page there for (somewhat dated) rules listings.

Personally, I use Full Thrust for squadron actions (with about 6-20 ships per player), Tac Wing for fighter dogfights, and A Sky Full of Ships or Battleshift for big fleet actions (20+ ships per player).  All of those are generic and not tied to a specific setting, and they're all either free or available free in limited format online. 

If you want one-on-one ship duels Star Fleet Battles and its babyclone Federation Commander are about the best things on the market.  Both are clunky, ugly, and old-fashioned, but they're as good as it gets.  The market could desperately use a better starship duel rules set, but playing that sort of thing on a PC or console makes more sense anyway.  Dules games sure don't sell minis well, anyway.

If you want setting-specific recs, X-Wing and Silent Death are very good for dogfights, and Battlefleet Gothic is pretty good for squadron/fleet size games.  Firestorm Armada gets a lot of love locally too, although I'm not a big fan myself - 2nd ed is better than 1st, though.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 12:54:52 AM »
Never heard of that before, so I bought the pdf collection and started reading trough it. How do you even play this game????  :o Only the 2d option I guess?

Are you familiar with Attack Vector: Tactical or Saganami Island Tactical Simulator? Same company.

Never cared for either, but SS is supposed to be simpler and easier to get your head around. I tried an even dumber 'convention' version, and even got first blood. Found the play possible, unlike the copies I bought of the first two. Just didn't seem fun to me.

Does SS use the blocks? I thought I saw that on TMP, but there weren't any in the demo I played. Nor chocolate, for that matter.

Really, the games available vary enough it really takes matching to people, not a 'best' set.

Free is usually a good place to start. A Sky Full of Stars (Basic) and G.O.B.S. are free, and damn simple. Federation Commander has a free 'starter' set that actually gets you started.

Doug

PS You did notice me mentioning being a fanboy, right?

Offline Lysander

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 03:23:16 AM »
Hard to go wrong with Full Thrust.  Build what you want fairly easily or play in the Tuffleyverse using predesigned ships.

Offline Nightmask

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 07:29:28 AM »
Well I do have X-wing (40+ ships) and already have Armada pre-ordered.

Gothic is one that keeps popping up. I do have the rules as Pdf's (which were released by GW) but the original ships are going for idiotic prices on E-bay.
Full Thrust might be one to look up!

Anybody got experience with other systems?

Cheers all.

Offline emosbur

• Mad Scientist
    • A COVA DO TRASNO
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 07:53:03 AM »
Firestorm Armada is free too (not the ships, alas...):

http://www.spartangames.co.uk/products/firestorm-galaxy/firestorm-armada

Emilio.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 10:55:52 AM »
I personally find Colonial battle fleet very nicely balanced. It doesn't have any widely exotic weapons or mechanics but more then enough variety in what it does have. Movement is Naval like, with ships always moving to their front and speed carrying over from turn to turn. The rules do use a hex map, which I do prefer for games with turn radius and the like. It removes all the hassle of measuring.

Never cared for either, but SS is supposed to be simpler and easier to get your head around. I tried an even dumber 'convention' version, and even got first blood. Found the play possible, unlike the copies I bought of the first two. Just didn't seem fun to me.

Does SS use the blocks? I thought I saw that on TMP, but there weren't any in the demo I played. Nor chocolate, for that matter.

The book clearly assumes you do so, however there is supposed to be an option for 2d movement. (haven't gotten there yet) Interestingly enough it does allow for 3 different types of movement, depending on how many of newtons laws you obey (0 to 2). I really like the idea that you can also mix the movement types in the same game. If your aliens have a inertia less drive then go for it.
And yea, the blocks are there. I'm a bit baffled by them tbh. Seems like you wouldn't be able to use a lot of miniatures out there with this game. Unless you instead use the ninja magic stand adaptors (might be a interesting idea) Or you go even further and embed you minis in clear resin blocks (sounds kinda cool)

I should say this game is now my current obsession, I want to understand it.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 11:49:49 AM by YPU »

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 09:28:55 PM »
For space dogfighting I highly recommend you 5150 Fighter Command and its supplement Carrier Command. It feels very much like playing the PC game Wing Commander. It's got a great campaing system and can be played solo and co-operative.
http://store.twohourwargames.com/51stnasfspco.html
Many battle reports in my blog: http://javieratwar.blogspot.com.es/search/label/5150%20Fighter%20Command