Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:06:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 671
Total: 676

Recent

Author Topic: Settle an argument for me.  (Read 5746 times)

Offline The-closet-gamer

• Librarian
Settle an argument for me.
« on: March 05, 2015, 04:35:38 PM »
Ok settle two arguments for me.

The other week I was in the pub with gaming buddies and  we got on the topic of GW as a few of us are ex staffers. This isn't a GW bashing post. We got onto the topic of boxed core games ( rules, minis, dice and the like all rapped up in a box ) then moved onto other companies. See told you it wasn't a GW bashing post. We discussed what if any core boxed games where available from said companies, then the arguments started.

The first one was Vor: The Maelstrom which I shot down straight away cause I have a copy. Then we had Rackham with AT43 and Confrontations. I know they did a boxed board game AT43 spin off but that's about it. Void 1.1 and that Urban Mammoth spin off and Celtos. I know back in 2004 Urban Mammoth did a box set for something for Void. Target Games Chronopia Dark Fantasy Battles. I'd have thought if they did a boxed game for Warzone they would have produced one for Chronopia.

On the topic of Chronopia: The war in the Eternal Realm that was released a while ago by Excelsior Entertainment, how close is it to Target Games effort. As I've seen it has the same game title/art work for the supplements so was just wondering if it was tweaked or total redesigned. And what happened to the small scale (10mil?) off shot.

The second argument is Khurasan mini Galactic Dictator and the Techno Ninja painted by Jen Hadley. What scale are they. I said they where 15mm and I'm told no that's  stupid cause you can't paint a 15mil like 28mil as it's just to small. I really want to win this on cause I'll get my drinks paid for all night, but if I'm wrong!

If anyone can settle this..... debate would be much appreciated. Half of us say yes there was a core boxed set and the other side says no with me in the middle just playing both side for my own depraved amusement.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass....and I'm all out of bubblegum. No wait I've just found another pack in my back pocket. Mmm tropical fruit bubblicious.

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
Re: Settle an argument for me.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 04:51:09 PM »
The second argument is Khurasan mini Galactic Dictator and the Techno Ninja painted by Jen Hadley. What scale are they. I said they where 15mm and I'm told no that's  stupid cause you can't paint a 15mil like 28mil as it's just to small. I really want to win this on cause I'll get my drinks paid for all night, but if I'm wrong!

Definitely 15mm sculpted by Tom Meier. Mines a pint. lol

Not mine, but…
http://jodrell.org/2010/10/06/khurasan-15mm-sf-characters-ctd/

And…
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 04:56:22 PM by Earther »

Offline The-closet-gamer

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 05:08:29 PM »
Score on for me.
Mines a pint. lol
What are we having cause the drinks are (not) on me!

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 06:35:08 PM »
Jen Haley is a painting freak. I can waste a long time looking through her work, just shaking my head, open mouthed in amazed appreciation. I seriously don't know how she does it.

Look at this -

A 28mm scale rendering of Tyrion Lannister - so it's kind of small anyway. I've painted that miniature and it is very small and delicate. I simply don't understand how she achieved that level of beautiful detail and light effects. Incredible.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 06:38:33 PM by Cubs »
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 06:43:23 PM »
There was a Confrontation (thre proper 3rd edition Confrontation)starter box:

http://shop.phantasos-studio.de/WebRoot/Store/Shops/61053610/5189/2575/FE2C/4119/DB09/C0A8/29B9/AABF/DSCN4613.JPG
Kitbash Games' web-page: http://www.kitbashgames.co.uk/

Online FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 07:25:10 PM »
Jen Haley is a painting freak. I can waste a long time looking through her work, just shaking my head, open mouthed in amazed appreciation. I seriously don't know how she does it.

Look at this -

A 28mm scale rendering of Tyrion Lannister - so it's kind of small anyway. I've painted that miniature and it is very small and delicate. I simply don't understand how she achieved that level of beautiful detail and light effects. Incredible.

Damn fine eyesight helps, no doubt. As would rock-steady hands. Without those, questions of technique don't even have the chance to come into it.

Now there's a question: Cubs, do you use an optivisor?

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline The Mystic Spiral

• Librarian
    • Mystic Spirals Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 08:02:53 PM »
Not definite about Chronopia, but I was into it when it came out and remember no starter set.

Jen Haley uses an optivisor

Evidence:

Still really clever though. I was told by another one of the scary American painters that they use off the shelf reading glasses 5.00 magnification, which I think is roughly the same thing.

J
It wasn't me. Honest. This big monkey did it and ran off.
MysticSpiralsMonkeyBusinessBlog

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 08:16:09 PM »
...I said they where 15mm and I'm told no that's  stupid cause you can't paint a 15mil like 28mil as it's just to small...

Interesting side note.  I posted some 15mm stuff once and there was a comment along the lines of they couldn't be 15mm...

I paint 15mm same as I paint 28mm, and I'm sure many other painters are the same.  A Copplestone 10mm has more detail than some 28mm figures.  If the detail is there and the casting is good quality, you just paint it.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 10:32:15 PM »
Now there's a question: Cubs, do you use an optivisor?

No, I'm slightly short sighted, so close-up work I'm good with without visual aids. If I had to do a piece that needed ultra close-up photographs taking I wouldn't rule it out though. For me, although I do try to stretch myself a little, I do think there's definitely a case of me taking a workmanlike approach to most jobs, and getting them done within a decent timescale. I very much doubt I have the sort of concentration and sheer expertise to produce anything close to Ms Haley's pieces.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 10:55:57 PM »
Car Wars had a core set with little cardboard counters.

Oh happy days... same for Ogre as well I think.

Steve63

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 11:50:29 PM »
The first boxed war-game containing miniatures dice etc I remember was Nick Lund's fantasy warriors by Grenadier Miniatures which must have came out in the late 80's/early 90's before the WHFB 4th edition box set.

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 03:05:07 AM »
Battlefront's Flames of War starter set is another. There have probably been other historically based examples in the past.

Yes, they're 15mm figures, not that mine are anything like as well painted!
"It's only a flesh wound...."

Offline myincubliss

• Mad Scientist
    • dead lead project
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 10:01:41 AM »
The old Doctor Who miniatures game had a starter set too, with a couple of Daleks and UNIT types, Invasion Earth iirc...

Offline Mr Brown

• Scientist
    • Speartips and Spaceships
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 11:09:51 AM »
Was the original question about box sets intended for older games? If not, there have been a fair few recently with Planetfall, Infinity, Dropzone Commander, Bolt Action has a few, All Quiet on the Martian Front, Mantic's offerings, Privateer Press' Warmahordes, etc etc yadda yadda yadda.

There a lot of box sets available. Perhaps more now than I ever remember seeing as a kid in my local hobby store. You only have to go to an online retailer and scroll down their list of wargames to find a whopping variety of box sets with all the gubbins needed to play except perhaps a table and a friend/enemy/other person to play.

Offline The-closet-gamer

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 04:13:04 PM »
The old Doctor Who miniatures game had a starter set too, with a couple of Daleks and UNIT types, Invasion Earth iirc...
still got it. The Daleks are very nice, but...The U.N.I.T troopers? When I bought it several friend were interested in them to see if they could be used for other mid 20th century/sci fi games and well what can I say. The weapons look as if the have been made out of liquorice and the face sculpts. I think the sculptor must have repeatedly poked themselves in the eyes then suck their tools on the end of a snooker cue. Next they turned down the dimmer for the lights then sat on a six foot ladder. In a nutshell bleedin awful.

[/quote]

I think I've just found my future ex wife. The last one ran up thousand of pounds of debt and took the furniture when she moved out. If it happens again the I'm having all the painted minis.

The effect she uses has been  discussed in The Art of Miniature Figure Painting  by Alex Castro. If you've not got the book the go out and by it. He paints for the bigger scale companies like Andrea. Beautiful stuff. In his book goes in depth about effects like the ones used on Tyrion Lannister. It's about making a three dimensional shape look more 3D. You can see why they can do this as a full time job making thousands of pound/dollars/euros a month  compared to so called mini painting services which some I wouldn't touch with your range ruler cause their painting standards suck  and charge a king ransom. Don't get me wrong there are some excellent painting services out there and they have the right to charge but the others when compared to my future ex wife. Nuff said on that.

I had a chance to buy the New(ish) OGRE collectors boxed set a few months back on ebay that came out a few years back. It was going for £200 and my finger was hovering over the "buy it now" button until someone beat me to it. One of the worst mistakes I've ever made. That and letting my ex set up a joint bank account. When you say "it's our money not mine. Go on treat your self",I mean don't take the piss.
Oh happy days... same for Ogre as well I think.
Guess you can tell it still rubs me up three years on. Of cause my Jen wouldn't do that to me cause I'll get all the minis that will be in the prenup. Just need her to marry me first. Might be hard cause the last one I wanted to marry  was Gillian Anderson. The judge was was very understanding. All I got was a caution and had to stay 300 meters from her and not phone her especially after midnight. Oh yeah and not sent her pictures in the post from my wedding day with her face stuck over my ex. I smell a court case coming. Only kidding.

Battletech had a core set with standee counters and some maps.

Car Wars had a core set with little cardboard counters.

Got the Car Wars in the stash. As for Battletech my mate has it on pride of place on the gaming shelf at his house. If you've ever watched the Spinal Tap film where they discuss the guitar collocation and he's told not to touch then he's told not to even look at it in case it gets damaged. Yeah it's a little like that with my mates copy. We all touch it when his backs turned only for him to turn back and know something is amiss. "Did you just touch it. Don't. In fact don't even look at it". He's proper old school Battletech. So much so he remembers when it was originally call Battlemech.