Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:07:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690454
  • Total Topics: 118331
  • Online Today: 688
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Legend of the Five Rings ( Clanwars ) with Brink of Battle/Epic Heroes rules  (Read 2558 times)

Offline seldon

• Scientist
So we played our first game of Epic Heroes using CalnWars miniatures.
It was a lot of fun to put together the warbands.. Basically one warband was aimed to be a lion clan elite force, the key characteristics were that all the samurai were high born, meaning that they'd ignore ashigaru casualties plus they'd fight better against lesser troop types. There was good variety of weapons among the samurai, naginata, nodachi, tetsubo and a very skillful Samurai archer..  On the other hand the shadwoland forces were lead by a fiersome Samurai centaur and a large ogre with a naginata, and the rank and file of the standard force was composed of goblin ashigaru, both mounted and dismounted, some ratskin henchmen and samurai skeletons.

We played two games back to back, switching forces and the scenario we chose was "Retrieval", which has the forces checking three objective markers to identify which one is the key objective that has to be taken off the table.

Here are a few pictures of our first game

Here is a picture of our battlefield

A close up of some of the shadowlands servants

In both games we played the shadowland forces attempted a quick rush on the objectives. The Shadowland troops had a much faster force since the mounted goblins had swift mounts plus the lighter armor from most of their troops allowed them greater speed than the heavy armored lion clan samurai.

The problem was that the rush strategy proved to be dangerous since the samurai archer and the samurai ashigaru quickly took advantage of the exposed light armored guys running for the objectives

In both games the key objective ended being the one on the bridge ( by chance ) and fierce cc actions developed around that area. Both times the Shadowland forces chose to depoy the fast ratskins with their long yaris to block the lion clan samurais from crossing the brige while either the ogre or the centaur ( depending on which game ) would try to take the objective

On the second game, having seen how the fist game evolved, the shadoland players built an effective protective pocket around their leader who was taking the objective and it seemed that this plan would work very well. The lion clan samurai would eventually cut through the goblins and ratmen but not before the centaur could take the objective away.. but luck always kick in, the Lion Clan samurai archer killed the goblin in the middle of the defensive formation and the shadowland players managed to rout 50% of their troops including the leader, by rolling a nice follow up of 1 and 2 ( D10s ) !  The lion clan samurai then cut them down while the shadowland forces were trying to regroup. Lion Clan victory.

On the first game the evolution was different but with similar results. On the first game it was the ogre who took the objective and he was doing good pace towards the end of the table so rather than chasing him down the lion clan forces tried to kill as many shadowland guys as possible to fore a break test and that strategy worked out just before the ogre could escape.

The games were fantastic. The learning curve for the game might prove a bit steep, ( might seem strange for a skirmish game but this is a VERY sophisticated skirmish game ), but two of us had a couple of BoB game under our belt so we are getting to a good sweet spot of familiarity and by the second game our two less experience players were catching on better..

The amount of traits and concepts in Epic Heroes really allow to bread life into any fantasy setting and I was glad to be able to play a nice skirmish game with my Clanwars miniatures since my forces had never grown to the point needed to use the all Legend of the 5 Rings mass battles wargame.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 01:20:03 PM by seldon »

Offline seldon

• Scientist
End of the first game....

The ogre bushi tries to run away with the objective while a skeleton bowman needs to stop a chasing ashigaru

The Lion Clan elite force

The shadowlands raiding party

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
 Great looking games and the table set-up looks really nice too.Love the Clan War range of miniatures and i have quite a few myself.Not painted though.Nice little forces you have put together.
 Is the piece you are using as the Ogre a Crab clan miniature?

Offline seldon

• Scientist
I believe so, I haven't researched that mini in particular. I had some that I got a long time ago and then about a year or two ago at an auction at our local hobby shop I got a huge box of minis for a great price.. It will take time to get paint on them but at least I can go slow with BoB :)

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
A BEAUTIFUL gaming board & some OUTSTANDING miniatures...that is a winning combination. GREAT WORK!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Awesome.  Love to see a nice complete and cohesive table.  Beautiful stuff.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
Nice table and some lovely figures. A great battle report for what seems a really great set of rules.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
This is EXACTLY what we wrote these rules for! Great BatRep!  :-* :-* :-*
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games