Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:22:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690535
  • Total Topics: 118335
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Congo Mercenaries  (Read 23681 times)

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
Re: Congo Mercenaries
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2008, 10:26:28 PM »
Tarzan is ticking along, I haven't taken any photos yet but no doubt something will be forthcoming in the near future. I decided to do something completely new to help me get back into painting, hence these mercenaries.

Chris, Britannia figures are distinctive in their style and I think you either like them or you don't. Personally I love them and have done since I bought my first US Cavalry in 1991. All figures are caricatures of humans and Britannia are done in a style I like. They are very easy to paint and the finished figure is always a pleasing little chap no matter what the subject. Dave, who sculpts the ranges and runs Britannia, is an official 'top bloke' and has been very helpful to me over the years, fulfilling special orders and sending me samples of ranges before they are in production. This order of mercenaries was accompanied by a complete set of his SWAT range because I said I was interested in them, that's 13 freebies on a pretty small order, the SWAT are great too so watch for them to appear in the painting table soon.

I don't think I'm a typical miniatures buyer, my favourite figures when I began were Nick Lund's Chronicle range and I don't like Tom Meyer's work at all so feel free to ignore my opinions :) However, you might want to order a couple from a range you're interested in and see how you like painting them up, you may be surprised.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 07:35:09 AM »
Chris, Britannia figures are distinctive in their style and I think you either like them or you don't. Personally I love them and have done since I bought my first US Cavalry in 1991. All figures are caricatures of humans and Britannia are done in a style I like. They are very easy to paint and the finished figure is always a pleasing little chap no matter what the subject. Dave, who sculpts the ranges and runs Britannia, is an official 'top bloke' and has been very helpful to me over the years, fulfilling special orders and sending me samples of ranges before they are in production. This order of mercenaries was accompanied by a complete set of his SWAT range because I said I was interested in them, that's 13 freebies on a pretty small order, the SWAT are great too so watch for them to appear in the painting table soon.

Sounds great. I just never could gather the nerve required to order some, especially since that was in the days before Paypal and I STILL don´t have a credit card. But as said, I might give it a try now.

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008, 12:51:57 PM »
Nice minis, and doing 5 Commando with Mad Mike & Kongo-Müller is a good idea!
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 08:41:19 PM »
I'm working on some 5 Commando figures for Mongrel Miniatures at the moment.

Paul

Is there anything you are sculpting at the moment Mr. Hicks?  ;)  lol

Sounds very interesting. Would like to see some geens when they are due for release.
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2008, 12:29:15 PM »
basic infantry is done:

Command and jeeps to follow.
http://www.matakishi.com/wildgeese.htm

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2008, 01:00:14 PM »
Very nice work Paul. I liked tis rang ethe forst time I saw them, but it was 'one project too many' since I already had both 15,, and 36mm modern Africa setups.

Following on from last weekend's activities, how about 1960s dinosaur hunting in Darkest Africa with different factions fighting each other and the local fauna in in the search for diamonds ..... ;)
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2008, 01:08:06 PM »
Following on from last weekend's activities, how about 1960s dinosaur hunting in Darkest Africa with different factions fighting each other and the local fauna in in the search for diamonds ..... ;)

Shut. Up. Dave.

It's people like you that are the cause of my imaginary children having no imaginary food.  >:(

lol

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2008, 01:17:00 PM »
These are great.   :)

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2008, 01:22:34 PM »
very nice indeed.
Inspiring, make anyone to start a new range!
argsilverson

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2008, 01:53:05 PM »
Very nice Paul. Much like you I have a soft spot for Britannia Miniatures. I had a sizeable collection of the Pony Wars stuff. I think I might have even bought soem from your shop in the dim and distant past. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2008, 01:54:49 PM »
Like the nicely random selection of headgear and beret colours... Just the right mix of uniform-but-not-quite-uniform...  :)

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2008, 02:40:26 PM »
Much like you I have a soft spot for Britannia Miniatures.

New to me.  Looked at their site.  Leaving aside "style" which has already been mentioned how are they size-wise?  Compared with, say Copplestone and Artizan figures, which I know well.

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2008, 02:54:56 PM »
They're bigger, you wouldn't want to mix them in a unit.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2008, 02:57:58 PM »

New to me.  Looked at their site.  Leaving aside "style" which has already been mentioned how are they size-wise?  Compared with, say Copplestone and Artizan figures, which I know well.

They are big and chunky. As I foolishly sold all of mine off a year or so ago ( I am still regretting it) I can't do a comparison shot for you but would say they are taller that Artizan and about the same height as Copplestone,but would not go well together they are polar opposites in design and style.

As I posted this Matakishi had already given the answer :)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 03:02:50 PM by Malamute »

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2008, 03:04:04 PM »

They are big and chunky. As I foolishly sold all of mine off a year or so ago ( I am still regretting it) I can't do a comparison shot for you but would say they are taller that Artizan and about the same height as Copplestone,but would not go well together they are polar opposites in design and style.

As I posted this Matakishi had already given the answer :)

They're bigger, you wouldn't want to mix them in a unit.

Thanks both  :)