Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:24:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Surfaced VSF 28mm scale Submarine  (Read 7270 times)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Re: Surfaced VSF 28mm scale Submarine
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2015, 01:15:40 PM »
Good Captain just admitted to a 'throwing out nothing' mentality. I admitted to understanding completely.

One thing to remember is that it's nice to have a bit of flat on the top. There are some flower containers, plastic candy dishes, etc., that are like elongated bowls and would be simpler than trying to cut-and-cover something rounded. I remember taking a Yu-Gi-Oh airship and starting the half that had a flat as a sub.

I'm not going to talk about the platters again. It's too painful.

I tend to find PVC a mo-fo to work with; come Xmas, keep your eyes open for styrene plastic tubing of various sizes. I've candy cane I've chopped a bit for the connector for a couple of Easter eggs to become a Martian kite.

Otherwise, the basic 'hull' of the PMC version could be cut from foamcore, and wouldn't take that much greebling to look pretty good. Though, huge props for it only being 14 pounds!

Doug

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2015, 12:11:33 PM »
Reading Doug's post got me thinking.So I had a good look around,as normally I only make bespoke commissions (for Vsf)and found some alarmingly poor commercial models for this branch of gaming,and most of the good vehicle modeling is being done by individuals not companies.(There's no need to defend people or a company  in a reply.because I'm about to my money where my mouth is.)
David I'll get to the point,unless some one is willing to give you a casting for free.
I can run you through building a waterline submarine.That people will ask you where you got it from,or at the very least how earth you made it.
It will cost you next to nothing to build.All you'll need is good old cereal packet card,toilet paper/kitchen roll.Two old modelling paint brushes(optional just saves time.) Cocktail sticks.Pva,and Super glue.(taking paints etc,as an in house given).
Mark.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2015, 12:49:05 PM »
It would be quite easy to build your own.
I built this one
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=9739.msg111912#msg111912 
It shouldn't be too hard to change the design to VSF. Different conning tower and less round edges. More rivets!!!

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2015, 01:02:25 PM »
More proof in the pudding lol

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2015, 07:53:11 PM »
Browsing these forums can be an expensive pastime...just ordered the ex-PMC submersible.

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2015, 06:16:02 AM »
I made a few for my Quar navy using some old toy parts, plastic eggs, bottle caps and the like. this and a few more on my blog.
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/2011/04/arqaurnaught.html
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2015, 11:42:45 AM »
Thats a well thought out build.function and form,combined with a clever use of materials.
A model that sets the tone of your table.
Just proves my point more,The skill base in VSF is in the gamers camp.
Great build.
Mark.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2015, 12:56:40 PM »
I made a few for my Quar navy using some old toy parts, plastic eggs, bottle caps and the like. this and a few more on my blog.
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/2011/04/arqaurnaught.html

Was the toy Kaiba's ship? Looks similar, but unless my memory is wrong, a bit truncated.

I thought that half would make a fine dreadnought, but part of the large pile of projects that never happened.

Doug

Edit: Wait, that's the part that came off the top of the ship. Sorry, that WOULD have made a proper dread in 15mm. As for the egg 'sailing' separate, you could just plop it on the table, or make a small base of froth that trails behind. See? Ideas that will never see light of...

« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 12:59:54 PM by The_Beast »

Offline S J Donovan

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2015, 09:45:39 PM »
Brigade Games has a sub.
Stan Johansen Miniatures did have one that should work very well but it is not on the web site currently.  Write him and ask.

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2015, 01:34:07 PM »
The beast : the non egg shaped piece was from  the top of a toy storage box (yu gioh or something like that, in the shape of a blimp) It's a cool toy and has lots of uses for kit bashing.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2015, 02:09:36 PM »
The beast : the non egg shaped piece was from  the top of a toy storage box (yu gioh or something like that, in the shape of a blimp) It's a cool toy and has lots of uses for kit bashing.

Right, Kaiba was first a competitor, then, I think a compatriot for the main character of Yu-Gi-Oh (Yugi?). I didn't really follow that closely, but there was a period when I kept stumbling over the damn cartoon.

I'd tried to use the half blimp with that piece still attached to work up a dreadnought, but the piece alone would have been a better call. The rest of the blimp would have made the start of a darn fine full-hull submarine, of course.  lol

Prolly for 28mm Aquanef, if it ever happens.  ;)

Doug