Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:15:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Hyborian hyjinks: The Big Game  (Read 6215 times)

Offline eMills

• Scientist
Re: Hyborian hyjinks
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2015, 10:06:33 AM »
"These started out as Red Box Helsvakt Warriors. I did some de-spiking and swapped out the heads for some Gripping Beast plastic heads."

Ha! I managed to skim right past that more than once. :D Thanks Maxxev, for pointing it out.

~Eric

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
Hyborian hyjinks - First game photos
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2015, 07:30:07 PM »
Last night we played a test game in an attempt to translate the preview copy of Monolith's Conan board game rules into miniatures play. I didn't really modify anything other than a simple movement conversion to account for the lack of zones on a miniatures playing field.

It went really well. I upped the number of Heroes from 4 to 6 which required to increase a few factors for the Overlord as well. Mainly the amount of Stamina in play and the recovery rates. In hindsight I think I would increase the number of cards the Overlord can activate on his turn from two to three. It was a pretty one sided affair with six heroes on the table.

For the game I used the Rescue scenario put forward by Monolith. The Heroes were tasked with rescuing a Warlord's daughter from the hands of the brutish picts and their evil leader Zogar Sag.

An overview of the game table. I tried to get the layout and spacing of terrain as close to the supplied gameboard as possible.

Red Sonja took the lead and made a lucky discovery. Not only did she find the Warlord's daughter but she found the giant snake pet of Zogar Sag. Her first attack left it seriously wounded but still in the fight. The action shown is taking place inside the hut. Conan can be seen rushing in to help.

Pictish Warriors start boiling out of the tents only to be felled by a lightning storm from the Cimmerian Shaman in the Hero's group.

Conan makes it into the hut and lays into the giant serpent. Together Sonja and Conan make quick work of the Serpent.

Meanwhile the Cimmerian Shaman and Grey, the thief, have managed to find Zogar Sag and lay him out in a short and quick exchange. Grey take the head of Zogar Sag as proof of the deed and starts to make his way out of the camp. His flight is shortly interrupted by Pictish reinforcements that appear in his path. They take a few swipes at him but he is able to dodge most of their attacks and continue on his way.

Amelia, the Cimmerian Spitfire, spent most of the game running around taking out the camps watchdogs all in quick order. He she seems to be wondering where everyone went?

The game went well and I hope to do a little tweaking and make another attempt in a few weeks.

Thanks for watching,

Mike

Offline PanzerKaput

• Scientist
Re: Hyborian hyjinks Photos from first game
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2015, 08:19:57 PM »
Wow that is so cool and in a strange way gives the feel what the board game will be like. I hope you send this to Monolith I think they will be jazzed

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2015, 12:49:17 AM »
 :-*

Nice job Scrappy
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2015, 12:56:09 AM »
Really nice lay-out and minis!

Keep us posted!  :)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
Re: Hyborian hyjinks: The Big Game.
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2015, 04:32:15 PM »
I ran the culmination of my work in four connected games at Kublacon last week. The Monolith Conan rules translated easily to miniature play and I was very pleased with how well the rules worked for this kind of game.

I took a bunch of pictures. Here some of the best with some sparse narrative.

Game one: The heroes defend a Cimmerian village against slave raiders. Most of the raiders are defeated but their leader, a Kothian Necromancer, and a few henchmen escape with several of the village's women and children.

The heroes chase the necromancer into a cave, not knowing what perils lay within.

Once past the horrors of the cave the heroes found themselves in an ancient crypt. The freshly slain necromancer lay on the ground. No sign of an attacker or the captured women was found.

After fighting their way past the undead guardians the heroes find themselves beset on all sides by tiny animated corpses intent on their demise.

The animated corpse of the Necromancer has followed them and attacks. Cries of terror and weird chanting can be heard from an adjoining chamber. The air crackles with eldritch energy.

A great summoning has begun. Terror beyond terror pushes itself from a plane beyond time into their own.

The heroes finally confront the real villain, an Acheronian Wizard summoned by the Necromancer from a dark age. Magic is no match for so much steel. Once the Wizard is dead the heroes manage to stop the summoning spell and close the rift in space. Now to find a way out and the closest tavern.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 05:49:50 PM by Skrapwelder »

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Hyborian hyjinks: The Big Game
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2015, 05:22:33 PM »
The Bold Adventures, Vile Villains, AND the terrain are WONDROUS to behold. FANTASTIC WORK!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx