Forum > Pikes, Muskets and Flouncy Shirts

ECW and TYW Miniatures size comparison

(1/11) > >>

westwaller:
I have been thinking about putting together some comparison shots of the various manufacturers ECW/TYW miniatures side by side for the benefit of other LAF members interested in starting this period for some time now, and I have finally started to put something together. I admit it could do with a bit more work, maybe some more photos etc but in the time I had spare to do this, I have only had time to do this so far. Oh and sorry for only putting one arm on each warlord figure, I didn't want to get half painted stuff out, or faff about making new ones up...

Here is a shot of ECW/TYW figures to give an indicator of the various sizes. I have tried to include more than one mini from each company, usually a smaller one, and a larger one of the same range. I have not included any Bicorne,Redoubt or Foundry because I don't own any.

Here we have from left, TAG, Perry, Warlord infantry plastics, Empress and Renegade. I have included more Renegade figures because of the variation in size between figures. At first glance, it might appear that they are all not far off each other in height, but you can easily get a TAG or Perry figure underneath the musket of the loading Renegade figure (which as he is leaning forwards, I consider to be the largest of the Renegade range)

Next we have a shot of the ranges that I consider to be compatible with one another comfortably- TAG, Warlord, Empress & Perry. It should be noted that the Warlord firing musketeer is a tad chunkier than his at porte/advancing comrade, so for some, the smaller Perry Ecw offerings might look at bit 'off' standing next to them.

Lastly we have TAG and Perry miniatures to show the similarity between them when it comes to height.

Then we have Perry next to two Empress Ecw:

Then TAG next to Empress (left to Right):

Finally Renegade next to Empress:

Thats that for now hope some of you find it useful.

Captain Blood:
Good idea.
If we can popluate this thread with useful comparison shots of ECW/TYW period figures, we can then stickify it as a useful reference point for all such queries  :)
Here's my contribution from several years back:

Left to right: TAG, Warlord plastic, Bicorne, Renegade.

Generally, the guidance is:

Bicorne and Renegade go seamlessly together at the larger end. Redoubt fit well too height and stature-wise, although they are stylistically rather different.
TAG are a bit smaller - they fit well with the Perrys and Warlord metals towards the smaller end.
But stylistically, TAG fit well with Bicorne / Renegade (because they're all sculpted by Nick Collier)
The old Perry range for Wargames Foundry are very diminutive. Style-wise they fit in okay with the Perrys' own range (obviously) but not much else.
The Empress range are at the tall end, but very much slimmer than Bicorne / Renegade / Redoubt, and with a very distinctive style of their own that (IMHO) doesn't really fit with any of the other major ranges above.

MediumAl:
Hi,
Comparison picture here with ideas for how you can match up figures of different heights;

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=64174.msg813319#msg813319

Al

Atheling:
Thanks for doing this guys as I'm looking at doing some Thirty Years War gaming and this thread is more than a little useful!!

Kudos  8)

Darrell.

westwaller:
Glad it was useful to you. It comes up of various forums so much, I thought I would do a thread.

TAGs TYW range is pretty extensive and would mix with Warlords too if you want to go that way, although if you wanted some bigger chaps I might have some for sale soon...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version