Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:56:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Russia 1812 - (Updated 6.5. Battle of Gorodeczna)  (Read 3689 times)

Offline Nysse

• Scientist
    • Engineered Gaming
Russia 1812 - (Updated 6.5. Battle of Gorodeczna)
« on: March 24, 2015, 09:59:05 AM »
We've started a campaign focusing on Napoleon's exploits (and failures) in Russia. To kick off the campaign we had it's first game, The Battle of Klyastitzy, last weekend. More battles and painted units to come in the following months.

Historically General Wittgenstein had been retreating before Oudinot without offering battle. This would change at Klyastitzy where he launched an attack on the French, who were not expecting such aggression from the Russians. After fierce fighting the Russians managed to push the French from Yakobovo heights and over the river Nitschtscha and Klyastitzy. This would in the end stop the French threat to St. Petersburg.

Our game ended slightly differently with the French being able to hold Yakobovo albeit, with very heavy losses. The Russian side was battered as well and both sides retired to regroup and count their losses. The game ended in a minor French victory.

A slightly more detailed account of the game from my blog

« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 08:47:01 AM by Nysse »
Chronicling my fight against a growing lead pile with some occasional gaming: Engineered Gaming

Offline Bandit

• Bookworm
    • The Wargaming Company, LLC
Re: Russia 1812 - Battle of Klyastitzy
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 03:12:06 PM »
Well chosen battle. The non-Borodino battles of 1812 don't get nearly as much attention as they ought.

What did you use for source material for the scenario?

Cheers,

The Bandit

Offline Nysse

• Scientist
    • Engineered Gaming
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 04:38:42 PM »
Well chosen battle. The non-Borodino battles of 1812 don't get nearly as much attention as they ought.

What did you use for source material for the scenario?

Thanks!

Yeah we're gaming most of the larger engagements of the campaign. Borodino will of course be played at a later time, but at least in my opinion these smaller and less famous ones are usually more interesting.

I'm not 100% sure where the scenario came from as I'm not the one running the campaign, but I'm pretty sure it's at least partly from here as we had the map from there as a guideline for terrain :)

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 05:06:58 PM »
Splendid stuff - the new Black Powder scenario book should feature lots of scenarios for this campaign  :D

Offline Bandit

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 05:16:04 PM »
but I'm pretty sure it's at least partly from here as we had the map from there as a guideline for terrain :)

The english speaking world really hurts for good maps and data for 1812, it isn't that there are none, just that they are no where near as available as other campaigns. Nafzinger's book on the Russian invasion has a lot of nice maps for a bunch of the smaller battles – with no scale… Two things all maps should always have: some form of a scale and an indicator of north!

Anyways, I look forward to seeing more AARs from your group. Oh, easier question – what did you use for a table covering?

Cheers,

The Bandit

Offline Nysse

• Scientist
    • Engineered Gaming
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 09:08:17 AM »
Oh, easier question – what did you use for a table covering?

It's just a dark green felt cloth. So nothing special. Works OK for 15mm, though spraying some shades with greens and browns would really help. But alas those are not mine so I won't go tinkering :) I've been planning to get some Barrage Minis mats so you might see those in the future reports

Offline Bandit

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 02:03:15 PM »
It's just a dark green felt cloth. So nothing special. Works OK for 15mm, though spraying some shades with greens and browns would really help. But alas those are not mine so I won't go tinkering :) I've been planning to get some Barrage Minis mats so you might see those in the future reports

I use nominally the same thing and have a cream/brown mix one for snow and desert. They are what I've had and getting more figures painted has always been a higher priority than replacing an already serviceable table covering. Though now I've got a notable force of French, Russians, and Austrians painted along with a handful of French Allies and a number of early & late war Prussians so I feel more secure changing direction a little. This summer I'm seriously planning to do some terrain mats but haven't settled on the base material to use yet. I'm thinking the cheap painter's canvas drop clothes like you find in hardware stores (like Menards) but I'm not sure if they have too much stiffness to them.

From the research I've done and people I've spoken to, it would seem it is a long weekend to two weekend project to create a terrain mat. So we'll see how it goes. I have a large gaming space and am thinking for the greatest flexibility I'll make several small ones to link rather than large ones that cover an entire table.

Cheers,

The Bandit

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 05:31:21 PM »
Very nice thank you. i have a few things going around in my head at the moment and your post has helped solidify a few ideas. Good stuff.

Offline Nysse

• Scientist
    • Engineered Gaming
Re: Russia 1812 - (Updated 6.5. Battle of Gorodeczna)
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 08:46:50 AM »
A bit over a week ago we had the second game in the campaign. This time no Frenchies at all! Going with the smaller engagements as well we played through the action on the southern flank between a combined Austrian and Saxon army against the forces of General Tormassov who was threatening the French southern flank.

Historically General Tormassov had smashed Reynier's Saxon corps and was threatening the French southern flank and their supply lines. To counter this Napoleon ordered the reluctant Prince Schwarzenberg to unite with the Saxons and attack Tormassov. The Russians started an organized retreat before offering battle close to Gorodeczna surrounded by marshy land and rivers.

Through a combination of command rolls and deploying too far from the Russians in the start the Saxons didn't really make contact with the Russians when historically they opened the fight while the Austrians sat on the sidelines at first wanting to see how the fight would start to turn out before committing their troops. Both sides suffered heavy losses with the Austrian left flank being destroyed. On the other hand their central forces (commanded by me :D ) smashed through the defending Russians and broke their center. Russian left flank was also wavering and close to being overrun. Lucky for them the game ended before the way to safety was closed by the Saxons.

A more detailed report on my blog: http://engineered-gaming.blogspot.fi/2015/05/russia-1812-battle-of-gorodeczna.html

After this some troops as I've been going through the French 9th Division painting up Swiss and Croat troops. 8 battalions now done and waiting for basing. With deadlines getting closer with the First Battle of Polotsk being played in a few weeks I can hopefully get myself working on the bases as well.