Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:39:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690921
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What is Pulp Alley all about?  (Read 6618 times)

Offline Jiron

• Librarian
    • WASP Club Blog
What is Pulp Alley all about?
« on: March 26, 2015, 04:24:03 PM »
Hey,
I know it's weird question here but I have to ask.
I have taken a look on Pulp board because of A Fistful of Kung Fu wich I am very fond of (and I hope you'll see my gang really soon) but I am seeing lots of stuff about Pulp Alley around, obviously.

Could you enlighten me about the game a little?
http://wargamingasp.blogspot.cz/ - Not entirely serious gaming blog

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
Re: What is Pulp Alley all about?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 04:29:39 PM »
I'm sure Dave and Mila will post a full explanation shortly about their marvellous work but you can get a free Quick Start PDF of the basic rules here:

http://store.pulpalley.com/category-s/1823.htm

There is also a list of games here which might give you an insight:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=54250.0
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 04:31:16 PM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 04:29:56 PM »
There is a website and several reviews out there. I have a copy of the core book and the first expansion, but sadly have only played one game. From my limited experience with the game I'd say it captures adventure movies like Indiana Jones. It captures a very similar feel to Strange Aeons in my opinion, but a little more focus on adventure than Lovecraftian horror.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 08:59:14 PM »
The lack of tables for battling is a very nice part to the game, they try to keep it as easy as possible, so if you roll a 4 or above its a hit. Dice type and number vary for skills and competency of the character. That's it's core mechanism.

Otherwise perils, opportunities to attack and a changed turn system (not you go I go) drive the action. It's fluff is rather vague, enabling the players to generate reasons/story narrative as they play.

I've done 2 post apocalypse games with the system so far and am still getting my head around the game mechanics. But there is a lot less rule book reading as I don't need to consult charts all the time.

Apart from very squishy minions, most are rather resillient to 'death'. Indeed no one dies, they are just 'out of action'. So even if your league gets smashed they can still be around for revenge next game.

Cheers
Matt.

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 11:52:16 PM »
Hi Jiron, I suspect you've already downloaded the free version of our rules, so please let us know if you have any specific questions. Here are some key points that cover some of our general ideas and goals for Pulp Alley....

Pulp Alley’s unique and innovative rules offer players a thrill-packed and engaging experience –

• Pulp Alley plays at the pulse-pounding pace of your favorite pulps and serials.

• Characters are easy to create and customize, making each league unique.

• Players never need to consult charts during a scenario. The action is on the tabletop – not in a rulebook.

• Control of the Initiative is based on events as they occur during the scenario rather than an arbitrary die-roll.

• Fights are fast-paced and simultaneously dangerous for both characters, instead of the old I-shoot-then-you-shoot sequence.

• Perils and challenges are unpredictable and offer multiple paths to success.

• Scenarios are plot-driven, encouraging action, and offering an array of different rewards.

• Through campaigns and experience your characters can increase their skills and develop new abilities.

Have fun!

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com

Offline Alcide Nikopol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 05:48:10 PM »
Our group has switched to Pulp Alley for almost all of our skirmish level gaming. It works wonderfully for Westerns, Pirates, Samurai, Pulp, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, etc. For me, it hits the sweet-spot for what makes a realy fun and playable game. The way the dice matching and initiative system work is truly unique and brilliant game design.
Pulp Alley is uncomplicated without being simple. Today it seems like everyone wants to call their rules “fast-play” but Pulp Alley delivers in spades. We get together weekly and its not uncommon for us to play 2 to 4 games of Pulp Alley in a single evening. Our group has played tons of different games and Pulp Alley is our favorite hands down.
A.Nik-

Offline Jiron

• Librarian
    • WASP Club Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 11:54:47 AM »
Wow, thank you all for explanation. I have downloaded the quickstart rules and I'll see what I'll find out.

Offline section 8

• Assistant
    • My Imagination is in Ruins
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 05:18:45 AM »
Is there a direct download available? I really don't see the need to give my personal information to obtain a copy.
My Imagination is in Ruins. Just like the rest of my life.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 05:30:04 AM »
Is there a direct download available? I really don't see the need to give my personal information to obtain a copy.

Ask Dave or Mila - they'll probably help you out.  They are wonderfully helpful in all other cases!
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 04:02:56 PM »

If you are just downloading the free stuff then I don't think it matters if the info you enter is accurate, except for your email.

Also, some of our products are available on Wargames Vault, so that might work better for you - I don't really know what info (if any) they require.

Please feel free to PM or email me if you'd like other options.

THANKS

Offline Valerik

• Mad Scientist
  • "...promiscuously brandishing a revolver..."
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 12:42:03 AM »
OK, this is impressive, even for the Phipps Cartel...

The original poster had his question answered, & good advice given, by the Princess of Pulp HERSELF.

In SEVEN hours....

This one gets a response from the Godfather of Vice Alley himself, the Cartel's Mastermind, evil or otherwise.

In TEN hours.

Mighty slick how well their far flung tentacles web familia of informants, rats, & stoolies keep them in constant touch with mean streets' murmurs.

Pretty amazing that the designers/playtesters/publishers/purveyors give SAME DAY SERVICE!!!!

Thanks Dave & Mila, for all you two do for us!!

Valerik

NOT a Phipps Cartel mook, minion, flack, hack, flunkey. junkey...
simply as satisfied a subscriber as my credit card can make me!!!

Valerik

BGR

"Fart in the devil's face"
Martin Luther

Offline jimithing

• Student
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2015, 05:47:01 PM »
Well, i just played my first game of pulp alley this morning as a group of three, and it was a hit.

Rules are very intuitive, and even with a very minimal setup on the basic scenario (smash and grab), just a bunch of buildings, it managed to generate a lot of narrative.  During the first round, one of my friends tried to climb the nearest building to get at an objective, and immediately lost two of his `follower` units when they failed their perilous challenge!  We had a good laugh about his models falling and knocking themselves out trying to scale a building.  Lesson learned, don`t send the minions to go get the treasure.  Should have known that already from the Indiana Jones movies.

There certainly is a very cinematic, actiony feel about this game, especially when you never know what is going to happen with the fate cards.

We`ll be playing this one regularly from here on out.

Offline Cotton Eyed Joe

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2015, 09:22:23 PM »
I saw a lot of talk on this forum and broke down getting it on PDF. I have ran one game and played one today at the local game store. It was a big hit.

The Game is just brilliant on many levels. League design is so easy, combat is quick quick yet has some depth. The plot points I believe combined with the deck really put the game over the top. It is staggeringly adaptable to any time period. The fact the table is only three feet by three feet can lead to some great table creations as well. The rules are well written and laid out as well. 

When I read the rules I knew they were pretty clever.

Joe

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 04:30:43 AM »
Thanks for all the kind and encouraging comments from everyone. Mila and I certainly appreciate your support.  :D

Offline Alcide Nikopol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 07:03:21 PM »
We were talking about this topic again after playing a couple games of Pulp Alley recently. One of the guys said he preferred playing Pulp Alley just because the other miniature games we had tried were “slow and boring” and we have tried a lot.  Somehow Phipps and Daughter avoided stuffing Pulp Alley with all the goofy stuff that bogs games down like making characters face in a specific direction, long tables of different stats for weapons, having a dozen or more different combat modifiers, having to cross reference charts and tables during a game, etc.  By weeding out all the slow crap they actually created a miniature game worth playing. In my opinion their game is also more realistic and better reflects actual combat situations as opposed to shooting on a target range.
Pulp Alley is also frequently called “cinematic”.  From what we’ve experienced, they achieve this by keeping the rules lean and fast so players can actually concentrate on creating stories. So rather than being burdened with charts that force a particular storyline, players are free to tell the stories they want to tell.
I think if you play infrequently or only a couple times a year at conventions then just about any game is going to work fine. If you realy like to play games or you play a lot then Pulp Alley is the best. That’s my 4 cents.