Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:44:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What is Pulp Alley all about?  (Read 6621 times)

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
Re: What is Pulp Alley all about?
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2015, 08:18:20 AM »
We were talking about this topic again after playing a couple games of Pulp Alley recently. One of the guys said he preferred playing Pulp Alley just because the other miniature games we had tried were “slow and boring” and we have tried a lot.  Somehow Phipps and Daughter avoided stuffing Pulp Alley with all the goofy stuff that bogs games down like making characters face in a specific direction, long tables of different stats for weapons, having a dozen or more different combat modifiers, having to cross reference charts and tables during a game, etc.  By weeding out all the slow crap they actually created a miniature game worth playing. In my opinion their game is also more realistic and better reflects actual combat situations as opposed to shooting on a target range.
Pulp Alley is also frequently called “cinematic”.  From what we’ve experienced, they achieve this by keeping the rules lean and fast so players can actually concentrate on creating stories. So rather than being burdened with charts that force a particular storyline, players are free to tell the stories they want to tell.
I think if you play infrequently or only a couple times a year at conventions then just about any game is going to work fine. If you realy like to play games or you play a lot then Pulp Alley is the best. That’s my 4 cents.

Exactly!

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2015, 05:12:54 AM »
THANKS, guys! We're glad y'all are playing Pulp Alley and having fun.  :D :D

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2015, 10:02:50 AM »
Just to add that PULP ALLEY is our group skirmish default choice too!

It applies to western, spy, pirate, retro scifi, pulp, etc.

So another strong reccomendation here too.

Best wishes.
I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2015, 12:03:53 PM »
I'm planning on trying Pulp Alley as a basic skirmish game for a VBCW game this week. I've got a board laid out for a platoon sized game that's just finishing so if I reduce the size of the board a bit and throw in some more scenery, it should be OK for a trial game.

Doug

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2015, 12:40:46 PM »
I'm planning on trying Pulp Alley as a basic skirmish game for a VBCW game this week. I've got a board laid out for a platoon sized game that's just finishing so if I reduce the size of the board a bit and throw in some more scenery, it should be OK for a trial game.

Yes, that sounds like fun! When we play Pulp Alley as a basic skirmish game there are a few things we sometimes do for that scenario....

> Reduce or remove the plot points. I like to have 1 or 2 plot points (Cut the Telegraph Line, Capture the Mayor, Steal the Supply Truck, Plant Explosives, Hold the Crossroads, etc), but you can easily remove them all and just concentrate on the fighting!  ;)

> Limit Leaders. In a straight skirmish with nothing to do but bash heads, Leaders can be a bit too tough. First suggestion is to ban the 'Hardened Veteran' ability. Also, you may want to limit Leaders to a d8 Health or simply give them a Sidekick level profile.

I hope you have fun and let us know how it goes.

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2015, 03:53:35 PM »
Yes, that sounds like fun! When we play Pulp Alley as a basic skirmish game there are a few things we sometimes do for that scenario....

> Reduce or remove the plot points. I like to have 1 or 2 plot points (Cut the Telegraph Line, Capture the Mayor, Steal the Supply Truck, Plant Explosives, Hold the Crossroads, etc), but you can easily remove them all and just concentrate on the fighting!  ;)

> Limit Leaders. In a straight skirmish with nothing to do but bash heads, Leaders can be a bit too tough. First suggestion is to ban the 'Hardened Veteran' ability. Also, you may want to limit Leaders to a d8 Health or simply give them a Sidekick level profile.

I hope you have fun and let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the tips, Mila - I'll take your advice. I'm thinking of a small group from each side in the big battle returning to search for that important thing that they all missed after fighting was over. So far, I've only got the free download - not the full rules but there's enough there to play this game, I think.

I'll let you know here how it goes with some pics....

Doug
(I really should be preparing forSalute instead of planning games.... >:D
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 03:55:10 PM by Doug em4 »

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2015, 08:03:18 PM »
Honestly with VBCW I think having a lot of plot points would be great. Having people fail at the perrils of trying a plop point is half the fun of the game.  :D

Also those looking for larger fights should take a loot at the "gang" rules in vice alley, as they allow you to increase the numbers on the table dramatically. If one was so inclined he could field 48 grunts and a sidekick level leader.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2015, 11:15:01 PM »
Yes, gangs are really useful for when you need to get the "look" of a mass going, while still keeping the skirmish play of PA. Not every group needs to be the typical 4-7 figures.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Jiron

• Librarian
    • WASP Club Blog
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2015, 09:00:53 AM »
I took a quick look at the free downloads and it really seems like great game. Obviously it is! However, I have recently fell in love with A Fistful of Kung Fu which ended a long search for a fast paced, cinematic and fun game. I have to say that it seems more... simple and complex at the same time. See my review here: http://wargamingasp.blogspot.cz/2015/04/a-fistful-of-kung-fu-review.html

However, I will have to force someone to try Pulp Alley with me!
http://wargamingasp.blogspot.cz/ - Not entirely serious gaming blog