Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:52:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689809
  • Total Topics: 118297
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Battle at Skt. Jørgensbjerg  (Read 2386 times)

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
The Battle at Skt. Jørgensbjerg
« on: March 25, 2015, 06:29:43 PM »
Last night A friend and I played a game of Hail Ceasar. The scenario is written by my friend and takes place in medieval Denmark. I took control of King Christopher of Bavaria and his loyal army whilst my friend played the rebel pesants lead by the nobleman Henrik Reventlow. Apologies for the picture quality lighting was not the best.

Historical Background
The catastrophic defeat of the royal army on the 3th of May left no doubt that rebellion was a very serious matter that needed the full attention of King Christopher. The rebels even crossed the Limfjord and started raiding all over Himmerland. The king had to end his negotiations in Copenhagen prematurely and leave for Jutland to crush the rebellion personally.
During May 1441 he assembled an army and moved against the centre of the rebellion in Hanherred. In the beginning of June the royal forces reached the wagon laager on St. Jørgensbjerg and surrounded it. The king had first-hand experience fighting wagon laagers from his time as a Bavarian duke where he had participated in the wars to crush the Hussite uprisings. The battle stood on the 8th of June. The detailes are sketchy but some sources mention that the king offered pardon to those that laid down their arms. The rebels from Thy and Mors took up this offer while the rebels from Vendsyssel stayed and fought valiantly.
 However all of these sources are based on later folk songs. The only thing that all contemporary sources agree on is the rebels use of a wagon laager. The weight which the sources put on this shows us, that it was not just a random collection of farm wagons drawn together. The rebels must have had knowledge of Jan Zizkas tactics. Precisely where they obtained this knowledge is unknown but the Hussite movement was well known all over Europa as well as in Scandinavia. The rebels were defeated and many killed in the battle.  Numbers ranging from 600 to 10.000. The leader Henrik Reventlow was taken to Aalborg and tried for treason against his king.  He was executed on the 12th June 1441. We don’t know what punishment befell the peasants but on similar occasions in other parts of the Union peasant where not normally executed but instead fined and made to rebuild what they had destroyed and burned down.

Objectives:
The Rebels win if they can kill the king and/or defeating the noble levy.

The King wins if he destroys the Wagon laager or if he can kill or capture the rebel leader Reventlow.

The king forms up the loyal battleline. The king takes the right flank with the noble cavalry.

The left flank is held by the Kings Councillor Eske Brock who commands the feudal levy. (historically he was actually killed before this battle)

The center is made up of German mercenaries who train their guns on the rebels Wagon laager.

After some maneuvering Eske Brock manages to catch the contingent of Vendelboer led by Reventlow himself on the left flank. Giving them a sound beating.

Driving them back. Some of them even back up the hill where they came.

When the vendelboer reached the hill Svend Erslev the leader of the contingent from Mors valiantly charged out of the safety of the wagon lager to support the battered Vendelboer.

In the center of the line the German Mercenaries advanced up the hill in well ordered formation through the massive fire from the Wagon Laager. When the germans reached the hill the Thyboer who held it stood no chance agains the battlehardened soldiers and they were driven back.

Meanwhile King Christopher of Bavaria who had initially deployed on the right flank made a feint to the left with the noble knights. Where he cut down the remaining Vendelboer and captured the leader of the rebellion Reventlow.

The battle ended with the king personally leading a charge on the remaining rebels into the breached Wagon Laager supported by the german mercenaries.

A glorious victory to the loyal forces og King Christopher of Bavaria King of Denmark Norway and Sweden.

It really was a great game. Very close and exciting. It was my first time trying the Hail Ceasar rules but definately not my last!

The scenario was written by my friend Thomas and all miniatures and scenery was done by him as well. I just showed up to roll the dice.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 06:44:38 PM by Dr. Zombie »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: The Battle at Skt. Jørgensbjerg
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 06:36:40 PM »
I haven't had  time to read through your blog but the pics of the game are excellent!  8) 8) 8)

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun  :)

Darrell.

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 06:42:35 PM »
Really interesting.  :)

Offline Miantanomo

• Scientist
  • Ahhh, Crap.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 11:01:27 PM »
Great game! I love it! And those Perry's look gorgeous! :)
"If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die."
-Eddard Stark

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 05:49:34 AM »
Great game! I love it! And those Perry's look gorgeous! :)

Perry Miniatures have a habit of doing just that  :-*

Darrell.

Offline Miantanomo

• Scientist
  • Ahhh, Crap.
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 10:32:52 AM »
Perry Miniatures have a habit of doing just that  :-*

Darrell.

Don't they? I came into Perry's late. I started with Fireforge but quickly fell in love with the works of the Perry brothers.  :)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 06:14:51 PM »
That's a great battle report
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Dalauppror

• Mastermind
  • www.dalauppror.blogspot.com
    • Dalauppror Wargamingblog
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 08:22:26 AM »
Very nice to see some more Scandinavia history out on the gaming table, greate looking game !

Best regards Michael