Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:07:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Lion Rampant  (Read 2940 times)

Offline marcusluis

• Scientist
    • marcos painting blog
Lion Rampant
« on: March 29, 2015, 07:42:06 PM »
Been playing Lion Rampant lately and im confused about the wild charge rule whats the advantage or disadvantage of it ?? ??? ???

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Lion Rampant
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 08:03:19 PM »
A canny opponent can use an enemies 'wild charge' to his advantage. Causing opposing mounted MAA to charge into difficult terrain therefore losing the advantage of being hard as nails(tm) and making themselves vulnerable to lesser troops.
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 08:18:46 PM »
Essentially it takes the control of them away from the player. You have no choice in whether they attack when in range of an opponent, the dice are rolled regardless and they either do or they don't.

So it's not so much an advantage to the player whose troops they are and it costs points to remove it. It's more like a trait which you have to take into account when you use them, i.e. holding them back out of the way until you are ready to use them hinders you. While it pays dividends when it works out in your favour, as Ray says, skilful play by your opponent can turn this against you.

Offline marcusluis

• Scientist
    • marcos painting blog
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 08:30:35 PM »
Is the actiavation roll for it the attack roll, cause that confused us a bit as well? so it is a complusary roll??

Offline monkeylite

• Scientist
    • Moedlhafen
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 09:56:43 PM »
Yeah, it's compulsory. Use the Attack roll, but don't end your turn if it fails.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 02:49:16 AM »
I've been less than impressed with Lion Rampant so far.  Yes, it is fun and quick, but offers no real challenge.  In the games we've played, we have found that irregular armies such as the Baltic Pagans, stand little chance against any regular European army.

Offline Dalauppror

• Mastermind
  • www.dalauppror.blogspot.com
    • Dalauppror Wargamingblog
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 12:35:03 PM »
I've been less than impressed with Lion Rampant so far.  Yes, it is fun and quick, but offers no real challenge.  In the games we've played, we have found that irregular armies such as the Baltic Pagans, stand little chance against any regular European army.

For us the Lion Rampant rules have given new energy to our club and resulted in a 14th century club campaign Håtunaleken, that I run and 12 other members participates in the games and by painting their hoasts.

We have also had our fair share of Baltic Crusade games and haven´t really feelt that the Pagans are at any disadvantage as long as you know how to use them and make the best use of the terrain, as terrain are the best friends of the pagans, but it might sometimes be hard to get the freocious pagans to stay put...

You can find AAR´s of Baltic Pagan vs. Crusaders at my blog: Pagans Win and Pagan Lose