Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:47:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690921
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Iron Duke Miniatures Upcoming Indian Mutiny Range  (Read 74174 times)

Offline sjwalker51

• Scientist
Re: Iron Duke Miniatures Upcoming Indian Mutiny Range
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2015, 07:27:34 PM »
"War Without Mercy", like its parent, 'Sharp Practice' is designed for large scale skirmishes with anything from 30-120 figures per side on a 1:1 figure/man scale but there is a draft set of 'big battle' adaptations (that still need some more play testing) which will allow players to use a 1:5 - 1:20 scale instead, which puts most of the battles within reach - at 1:10 you'll only need about 180 infantry, 12-15 cavalry and about 4 guns.

I'm also hoping that they'll look OK alongside the Mutineer figures - if they're anything like the Empress Zulu range I think they'll be fine in separate units, will be OK alongside Old Glory, Indus Miniatures and some Foundry, like their lovely NWF Afghans, but maybe too large for the original Foundry Mutiny range, which were 'true' 25s.

Offline sjwalker51

• Scientist
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2015, 07:34:29 PM »
Regarding revolvers, google Beaumont-Adams or Tranter and you'll find everything you need to know. Most officers carried privately owned revolvers prior to 1857 although the EIC adopted the Adams company as their official supplier around 1856.

I think Harry Flashman carried an Adams or Tranter during the Mutiny, didn't he?

Offline Deedles

• Mastermind
    • One man & his brushes
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2015, 07:39:05 PM »
As stated elsewhere simply e mail us a list at Empress and we will sort it out.

Grand stuff.. Another little job for the weekend..
Cheers
Deedles

One day the lead mountain will be gone.... one day

http://onemanhisbrushes.blogspot.co.uk/
http://blazingdice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2015, 07:40:48 PM »
Grand stuff.. Another little job for the weekend..

I'll do just that!

Darrell.

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2015, 10:05:06 PM »
Wow! Where'd that come from!? Never heard of Iron Duke...but some amazing sculpting by Mr. Hicks. Simply outstanding! If they can get him to finish off the range...then it will definitely be worth investing in :)
All The Best
Scott Dallimore
Kent-Essex Gaming Society
http://kent-essexgaming.ca/

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2015, 10:48:26 PM »
Wow! Where'd that come from!? Never heard of Iron Duke...but some amazing sculpting by Mr. Hicks. Simply outstanding! If they can get him to finish off the range...then it will definitely be worth investing in :)

The range has been commissioned by colonel Mike Snook the author of Go Strong into the Desert, The Mahdist Uprising in the Sudan 1881-1885. He know's his stuff so will almost certainly be the most historically accurate and looking at Paul's dynamic sculpts the best range available (IMHO).

Darrell.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2015, 01:26:46 AM »
To repeat a question I just left on the ID website: Would European officers be using revolvers at this point in time, as opposed to horse pistols?

It depends, as Flashman himself points out in the novels set during that period, he preferred the more reliable single/double shot pistols or a pepperbox, revolvers where quite new still(and prone to chain detonations) and the British army was until about ww2 a byword for conservatism when it comes to firearms.

Naval revolvers lost popularity during the mutiny as most of the newer ones where of a smaller .36 calibre, one officer is noted as have shot a charging native, the bullets went through, the native kept coming and manged to shear through the poor buggers head before falling down dead himself.

This plus British experience meant that at the time, the stopping power and double action of the adams or tranter was preferred, both American and English revolvers could be found., but it depended on the officer, most lesser ranks took what was issued, a single or double shot horse pistol which wssn't very popular due to weight/awkwardness.

Indian sub-officers will unless very wealthy (or they loot it in the case of Mutineers) most likely have the older style of pistol.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2015, 01:31:04 AM »
I have always wondered about the Mutiny being done as a skirmish / rpg with characters wandering around Delhi looking for loot or kidnapped damsels, etc. Extra characters and personalities would be very nice indeed.

With many mutineer regiments there were often more officers than units to lead them (some banded together to form cavalry squads leading non-military volunteers.), i'd love to do something like this, perhaps adapt the legends of the old west rules(I love them so thorough and an equipment list that spans almost a century and a half)

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2015, 02:33:19 AM »
It depends, as Flashman himself points out in the novels set during that period, he preferred the more reliable single/double shot pistols or a pepperbox, revolvers where quite new still(and prone to chain detonations) and the British army was until about ww2 a byword for conservatism when it comes to firearms.

Naval revolvers lost popularity during the mutiny as most of the newer ones where of a smaller .36 calibre, one officer is noted as have shot a charging native, the bullets went through, the native kept coming and manged to shear through the poor buggers head before falling down dead himself.

This plus British experience meant that at the time, the stopping power and double action of the Adams or Tranter was preferred, both American and English revolvers could be found., but it depended on the officer, most lesser ranks took what was issued, a single or double shot horse pistol which wasn't very popular due to weight/awkwardness.

Indian sub-officers will unless very wealthy (or they loot it in the case of Mutineers) most likely have the older style of pistol.

Thanks for the info, all. Yes, I checked the gallery again. At least 1 of the European command set officers has a revolver. The Sikh junior officer has a horse pistol and I am not sure what the colonel is firing.

Hmmm..... Interesting.

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2015, 08:18:51 AM »
Well done Iron Duke/Empress. I suspect this will become a defining range for many years to come. Congratulations on what I know will be a well deserved huge success.

(That "no new periods" pledge I made is really getting tested. You don't help, do you?).
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2015, 09:15:31 AM »
Well done Iron Duke/Empress. I suspect this will become a defining range for many years to come. Congratulations on what I know will be a well deserved huge success.

(That "no new periods" pledge I made is really getting tested. You don't help, do you?).

I think so too, throw in a few packs of armed volunteers/civilians and I could see this range having broad appeal.

Personally i'm giddy as a school girl, I went on a mutiny kick after I started the Flashman series and read up everything I could (PM your Mutiny questions and i'm more than happy to answer/help anyone) and was planning to start buying up the foundry stuff starting with the officers and adventurers pack...may have to hold off now as from what i'm hearing/seeing these newer miniatures would fit in better with my 28mm collection.

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2015, 10:06:51 AM »
Worth checking out is the Empress Maori war range as there are a few cross over packs in the range. Civilians for example.

Regards,
Paul

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2015, 11:17:08 AM »
Worth checking out is the Empress Maori war range as there are a few cross over packs in the range. Civilians for example.

Regards,
Paul

My thoughts exactly...*sighs then reaches towards wallet*.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2015, 11:28:03 AM »
With this range and congo/tmhwbk...this is turning out to be a good year.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 11:30:40 AM by Kommando_J »

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2015, 12:07:28 PM »
Yep,I can definitely see the Homestead defenders and militia figures in civvies from the NZW range manning the barricades at Cawnpore and Lucknow.This new range of miniatures is exciting. :)