Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:18:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Iron Duke Miniatures Upcoming Indian Mutiny Range  (Read 74170 times)

Offline moonshado

• Mad Scientist
Re: Iron Duke Miniatures Upcoming Indian Mutiny Range
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2015, 12:10:37 PM »
Brilliant figures & the list of intended future releases is mouth watering. The web site is also superb, the Atkinson prints are possibly the best versions I've seen on the internet.
Can anyone clarify a point regarding Brayser's Sikhs. On the Web site the colour of the turbans is not clarified. I've found reference to the unit being awarded the right to wear a red turban for its loyal service during the mutiny and refernce is made on a TMP(back in 2010) t the red turban being awarded because that had been the colour of turban they wore throughout the fighting in the Mutiny. Unfortunately both the links in the TMP thread no longer work. Can anyone confirm a red turban or suggest another valid colour?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2015, 12:17:21 PM »
Yep,I can definitely see the Homestead defenders and militia figures in civvies from the NZW range manning the barricades at Cawnpore and Lucknow.This new range of miniatures is exciting. :)

Yep, just about perfect... my wallet thanks the Empress chap for the suggestion!!  lol

Darrell.

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2015, 12:21:17 PM »
Found this on Tmp......"Although the Regiment of Ferozepore was an irregular battalion, its uniform and head-dress were similar to those of regular units of the Bengal Army. The men wore a red tunic with yellow facings and the Governor-General insisted that the men should wear the caps worn by the rest of the native army. This is contrary to the Sikhs' creed and the men were very opposed to wearing these regulation hats. However, Lieutenant Brasyer, who had undoubtedly gained the confidence of the Sikhs right from the beginning, persuaded them to adopt the hats, which they continued to wear until the Indian Mutiny in 1857."

"The Ferozepore Sikhs therefore from this time on [after Allahabad--AEC] discarded their caps and heavy coats and wore red turbans and Sikh blouses throughout the Mutiny. This pleased the men immensely, especially as Brasyer himself adopted the dress."

"For its service in the Indian Mutiny the Regiment was allowed to bear on its Colours the inscription "Lucknow, Defence and Capture," while as a special mark of distinction for its outstanding conduct the Governor-General issued orders that the men of the Regiment of Ferozepore were permitted to wear red safas (turbans), like those in which they had fought, instead of native infantry caps-a privilege of which the Regiment still avails itself on ceremonial parades.

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
    • Manche´s Walpurgisnacht
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2015, 02:23:21 PM »
"The Devil´s Wind" from David Bickley is a very good ruleset. Now that I´m reading my copy, I need to prepare an order!

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2015, 09:27:45 PM »
"The Devil´s Wind" from David Bickley is a very good ruleset. Now that I´m reading my copy, I need to prepare an order!

I second that, although I may be tad biased :)

Offline Volleyfire!

• Scientist
  • At 100 yards................Volleyfire!!!
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2015, 09:46:23 PM »
I, like others on here have had my interest in the Indian Mutiny seriously awakened by these figures. I've always fancied gaming the Mutiny, possibly after having seen the diorama on 'Model World' presented by Bob Symes-Schutzman many years ago and wondered what the Mutiny was all about. It's only been in recent years that I felt manufacturers had begun to look seriously at this period in 28mm, and there are now some cracking figures out there which are really tempting. I too shall be dipping into funds at some point to begin work on a suitable force. I'm wondering if there will be musket bearing Sepoys which would also be suitable as opponents of Gen Clive as I already game the SYW and have long pondered adding a French/Indian army.

For those of you looking for more information on the Mutiny, and other Colonial Wars of the 19th C I thoroughly recommend the Victorian Wars website http://www.victorianwars.com. You will come across Mike Snook on there dispensing words of wisdom, besides others who have in depth knowledge of a wide ranging and varied amount of useful subjects.

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2015, 10:20:02 PM »
This range of figures I believe will be the "it" period for the year.
I painted a lot of Foundry IM last year. With these figures coming out,
 looks like I will be painting a lot more this year.
Had a look at ID web site, lots of very neat figures :-* in the pipe line.
Can't wait. ;D
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2015, 06:00:59 AM »
To repeat a question I just left on the ID website: Would European officers be using revolvers at this point in time, as opposed to horse pistols?
Yes...private purchase ones.
All The Best
Scott Dallimore
Kent-Essex Gaming Society
http://kent-essexgaming.ca/

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2015, 01:44:45 PM »
Found this on Tmp......"Although the Regiment of Ferozepore was an irregular battalion, its uniform and head-dress were similar to those of regular units of the Bengal Army. The men wore a red tunic with yellow facings and the Governor-General insisted that the men should wear the caps worn by the rest of the native army. This is contrary to the Sikhs' creed and the men were very opposed to wearing these regulation hats. However, Lieutenant Brasyer, who had undoubtedly gained the confidence of the Sikhs right from the beginning, persuaded them to adopt the hats, which they continued to wear until the Indian Mutiny in 1857."

"The Ferozepore Sikhs therefore from this time on [after Allahabad--AEC] discarded their caps and heavy coats and wore red turbans and Sikh blouses throughout the Mutiny. This pleased the men immensely, especially as Brasyer himself adopted the dress."

"For its service in the Indian Mutiny the Regiment was allowed to bear on its Colours the inscription "Lucknow, Defence and Capture," while as a special mark of distinction for its outstanding conduct the Governor-General issued orders that the men of the Regiment of Ferozepore were permitted to wear red safas (turbans), like those in which they had fought, instead of native infantry caps-a privilege of which the Regiment still avails itself on ceremonial parades.

John French's The British In India also confirms the red turbans.

Offline Captain Goode

• Assistant
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2015, 09:23:35 AM »
OH rats! Just when I was trying to be good and not start another new project.  I was at the Kashmir Gate taking photos on Sunday afternoon. Unable to get in to St James Church I walked along the Ridge to Flag Staff Tower, and then went in search of Ludlow Castle.  Looks as if my time in India may end in 2016 so after that I will feel it safe to collect figures from the First War of Independance as it is known here.

The ridge is now a public park and covered in jungle tempered with some gardens. The rocky outcrops show through but with the Civil Lines and new hospitals, roads and development it is difficult to see the real lie of the land. That said though the Ridge is a defensible slope, but a hill it ain't.

Graham
Delhi

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2015, 01:34:46 AM »
Well, I went and ordered some ID minis from Empress.
I e-mailed Col. Snook and told him how great the figures look.
He e-mailed me back. Thanks Mike, that's class.
He has a customer for life. :)

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2015, 03:07:44 AM »
Well, I went and ordered some ID minis from Empress.
I e-mailed Col. Snook and told him how great the figures look.
He e-mailed me back. Thanks Mike, that's class.
He has a customer for life. :)

Mike also emailed me back when I asked him about the revolver / horse pistol issue we discussed about in this thread. Seems a nice guy.

Offline Rabbitz

• Mad Scientist
    • Unit57
« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2015, 03:17:30 AM »
Does anyone know how this will compare next to

Mutineer miniatures
wargames foundry - Indian mutiny
Wargames foundry - darkest Africa

Cheers

These make me very excited.

Integrity is non negotiable

My little blog

www.unit57inminiature.blogspot.com.au

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2015, 06:37:48 AM »
Mike also emailed me back when I asked him about the revolver / horse pistol issue we discussed about in this thread. Seems a nice guy.

...Out of curiosity, what did he have to say on the matter?

Also to possibly answer rabbitz question, I think the foundry IM range is smaller/possibly the darkest Africa is too.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2015, 08:19:34 AM »
Well, I've just put my pre-order in. I changed my mind once and then made a mess of my second order so my apologies to the Empress crew, the third and final order is the correct one  o_o.

Order is now complete  :).

Darrell.