Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:48:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690924
  • Total Topics: 118358
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: D&D Attack Wing  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Vauln

• Librarian
D&D Attack Wing
« on: April 09, 2015, 09:31:47 AM »
I played my second game of D&D Attack Wing tonight, it was a blast.

We played a three-way game between myself, a long time friend Daniel, and his son Christian (13yrs). Dan choose first and took the Red Dracholich and Adult Copper, Christian took the Black Shadow Dragon and the Adult Blue, and I got the Ancient White and the Adult Red. I was really happy to get the White. We each took a few upgrades and spells, around a hundred points apiece. I ran over the basics of the rules and we set to it.

First turn I headed strait for the easier of the two targets, Christian, hoping I could get Dan to fall into a trap (evil laugh). He had in fact split his forces and headed strait for me with his Dracolich, the copper veering off toward Christian's Dragons. Christian got crossed up his dragons heading into each others paths. The turn ended without any combat as we were out of range.

The Second turn I set myself up to cut off Dan's Dracolich with my White and an aggressive move toward both of Christian's Dragons with my Red hoping to set up a charge while he was dealing with the Copper. Unfortunately my 'trap' was not set up as well as I had hoped and Dan was not in optimal range of the Frost Storm spell I had been eyeing. Luckily I did get the Charge off with my Red and did a wound to Christian's Black Shadow. Dan's Copper spit some Acid at Christian's Blue and he replied in kind with Lightning, both doing a wound or two. 

Turn Three saw the first real Combat of the Game. I edged both of my Dragons forward, the Red forced to stop in the grips of the Shadow. The Red Dracolich was finally within range of my White's Bite and Claw follow-up attacks, a truly devastating special rule. He attacked first and got a wound through, the White's reply, sadly, was only two wounds. My Red clashed with Christian's Shadow doing (maybe) one wound and none in return. Any other Combat was fruitless.

The Fourth turn saw a little more action. I was at a loss what to do with the White as he is very difficult to maneuver compared to some of the other Dragons. I ended up going with an aggressive forward movement hoping to clear the combat and maneuver into a better position next turn. What I had not counted on was an equally aggressive movement by Christian with his Blue, putting him right within my grasp. This turned out to be a much more favorable turn than I had hoped as I was now in position to do some serious damage. The Dracolich had flown away from the combat and the Shadow was not in position to make an attack, things were looking to be in my favor. Inevitably I was able to finish off the Blue with the White's Bite and Claw attacks and we ended up calling it a night as it was pushing 11pm.

We really should have had at least one more turn to see a clear victor but I was happy to let them get to bed and look forward to the next game.

Overall I think D&D Attack Wing is a very fun game for player of all ages and would recommend it to anyone looking to pick up a light to mid-range strategy game.

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: D&D Attack Wing
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 09:50:29 AM »
Thanks for the review. Next time do some pictures, will ya ;)