Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:36:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686516
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Starting a modular cave system.  (Read 14269 times)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Starting a modular cave system.
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2015, 10:56:02 AM »
(that won't be happening)

Depends what the topic is  ;)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2015, 03:45:05 PM »
Great ideas. I'll definitely do the rings in the wall (if I remember  :? ) with columns I may do them so that they are removable to add to the diversity I can get out of this.
That cistern looks really cool. If I make more I may incorporate that idea. I think maybe in the ruins I may make some wall fountains with faces, thanks for the link giving me some inspiration. I'll need to order some more instamold I think.
Cheers, I thought you might like the sculpted features used as column bases - I visited the place twice, it's incredible.

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2015, 06:38:45 PM »
Hey, that's really impressive! :o

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2015, 05:47:45 AM »
Can't see too much from these pics but i've added some height to some pieces and also painted with the first coat and added some rubble which will also later be painted. just 3 more board sections to add paint/glue/sand to. Then it will be onto painting the ground in a muddy look. Washes and drybrushing. After that it will be adding the pretty details. In the second pic at the bottom right you can kind of see the stalagmites. They don't look great at this distance.

Also today in the post I received a tyrannosaurus skull (roughly 10cm long) so I may be tempted to make it into some large skeleton in the dungeon and make half a ribcage out of airdry clay or maybe not, lol
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 05:49:17 AM by beefcake »

Offline verd

• Scientist
    • El Senyor Verd
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2015, 12:23:23 PM »
That's really coming a long nicely. Can't wait to see it all done.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2015, 08:34:18 PM »
I've worked at creating some wall mounted fountains. Here are a couple. I'll use instamold to make more of these. Pretty basic looking but will do the job.

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2015, 09:17:49 PM »
The modular cave system is a nice idea and is already looking great.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2015, 11:00:26 PM »
I've done a wash of black (with the cheapest craft paint I could find) just to bring out some of the texture. Unfortunately it's pouring and cold today so drying time is taking quite long, yesterdays painting is still quite wet in places. Here are the pics of the first board I painted with the wash. I quite like the grey floor but think it may be too monotonous on 9 boards.

I plan on paint/Sand /PVAing the sides as well to protect the sides too but will do that at the end. I may also put heavy duty tape around the corners. The bottom I may use those adhesives you cover children's school books in to protect it. I'm pretty happy with the texture of the cave at the moment. I'll have to drybrush this white to give it a better look and it should lighten the whole cavern up considerably as it is really dark at the moment.

Thanks for the comments and thanks for looking :)

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2015, 10:39:34 AM »
Cool! 8)

What about having water spout from some of the fountains? I made a wee waterfall recently for a Robin Hood thing using clear silicon sealer.

I'm afraid all I had to hand was a bit of paper and pen to show you what I mean bud!!

1.Using something that the silicon won't stick to, run a small bead of silicon.

2.Before it dries, using a tooth pick to rough up the surface. Pull the silicon down  to give a running water look.

3.Once dry, peel off, cut to size and glue in place.

You can even put a wee bit of clear varnish over it or in the basin to give better shine!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2015, 08:58:32 PM »
Thanks Andy, I'd imagined them not working being in ruins but still great to know if ever I get around to making proper unruined stuff :)

I've drybrushed that first one. The black wash seemed to just soak into the paint/sand The others are still not dry (It's meant to be sunny tomorrow so I may put them out to dry)
Photos with flash and photos without.
Orcs and chaos Dwarfs clash in a cavern.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2015, 09:27:21 PM »
Apart from fountains you could have water coming in through cracks in the cave walls.
Then if you have a cave with a wet floor, players have to find out is it shallow or deep?
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2015, 09:47:15 PM »
Excellent idea. I do have one section with a pool in the corner.
After looking at the ones I just added the "mix" to the other day, I may need to go over it again after it has dried to thicken it some more and add more texture to it.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2015, 01:37:02 AM »
Nice build!

I have a hexagonal slab of plywood (I think) en route from Litko for cutting out hex-shaped bases for a modular cave system, so I am eagerly watching to steal borrow any cool ideas from projects like this!
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2015, 07:36:13 AM »
Very convincing beefcake!  8)  8)  8)

"They have cave trolls!"

I'd be tempted to go lots of curvy tunnels as well as the "caverns" to make a more maze like system. You do seem to have a few tunnel modules I see.

Cheers
Matt

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2015, 04:44:26 AM »
Nice build!

I have a hexagonal slab of plywood (I think) en route from Litko for cutting out hex-shaped bases for a modular cave system, so I am eagerly watching to steal borrow any cool ideas from projects like this!
I'm looking forward to seeing your work. So I can also steal borrow ideas ;)
Very convincing beefcake!  8)  8)  8)

"They have cave trolls!"

I'd be tempted to go lots of curvy tunnels as well as the "caverns" to make a more maze like system. You do seem to have a few tunnel modules I see.

Cheers
Matt
If I ever get around to buying another slab of polystyrene I'll definitely make some more mazelike tunnels, but I'm also thinking about making some more ruin areas, a big square and so on.

Next update:
All the floors are now brown. Thematically they would look better stone colour but the single colour tone gets quite boring so this helps add some variety.

And here are the passage blockages for the edge of the board. I should have put the stone colour texture on the backside as well so they could be used in the middle of the board as well. I can still do this though as I need to do something to the backs of them to make them stronger. The fit really well with the boards as well. Occasionally you need to find the right one to fit the spot but it's not that hard.

Next is tidying up the brown paint where it went on the grey walls. Not a hard job. Then onto the drybrush and washes (although the washes don't seem to work very well on this texture)
After that it's all the small details. Mushrooms and so on. 1 week left in my term break (with 2 days work during that time and a Birthday) so I should get the main part complete :D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 04:47:23 AM by beefcake »