Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:16:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Support Elements for my VBCW Leicestershires.  (Read 2935 times)

Offline PanzerKaput

• Scientist
Support Elements for my VBCW Leicestershires.
« on: April 06, 2015, 09:17:11 PM »
Well I have been cracking on with Warlord's British Expeditionary Forces which I am using for both Bolt Action Early War Brits, BEF actually, no surprise there and also to use of regular infantry for my Very British Civil War games too. I have to state now that I do like these figures, I have no idea who has sculpted them but I do like the chunkiness about them and the level of detail and dare I say accuracy with the equipment and uniforms, God I am such a button counter.

So first up is the Vickers .303 Medium Machine Gun and its crew. Now this is a now bit of kit and simple to assemble, which I like, fat figures me. It is quite surprising the variation in the equipment the chaps have, even though there s only three of them. Now this is partly due to the separate head system that Warlord use, which I actually like and hate in equal measure, trying to get the head to look natural is a pain in the butt but it does give you freedom and flexibility at the same time.

Saying all that I do like the Vickers as the water hose is moulded with the gun so it makes it easier to attach to the water can easier. I have always found painting the pre and early British uniform a bit difficult to do correctly, I always make it too earthy brown, but piling over my books of British uniforms and equipment, told you I was a button counter, and looking at photos online, thank you google, I think I have got it as close as I am even going to get it.

The next part I also find difficult too is the webbing. Is it beige, sand, green, khaki God is all and none of them, however I do remember that when I was at show I had a 37 pattern webbing knapsack that I used to carry my books in and strangely I can still remember the colour of it. Now I could of done the webbing in different colours like a lot of re-enactors do, but when you look at photos for the time you see that all the webbing was the colour colour.

Next up is my anti tank support in the form of the Boys Anti Tank Rifle, now the big guns are out, lol. I have a small issue with this actually the gun itself. As these chaps as early BEF the Boys should have a T shaped rest and not a bipod but thats a small fault and easily overlooked. I like this set though I am not totally sure why the spotter requires binos as the weapon has a effective range of about 150 yards. Still is a good kit and provided a level anti tank support.

The last support element is the HQ Section 2" mortar. Now this is a good set too with the mortarman and the loader. It is a simple kit and very nicely sculpted and the mortar looks good to me. I like the way that they are laying down instead of kneeing and in fact the mortar firer is setting the ranges in which is a nice touch.

Now I never thought for one moment that I would be totally praising Warlord on their BEF range, I personally find it very hit and miss and the faces on some of the ranges is at best cartoonish and at worst, bloody awful. But these are actually very nice and realistic, along with the poses give a nice natural feel to them and I am on the whole chuffed with them.

Offline dice shaker

• Bookworm
Re: Support Elements for my VBCW Leicestershires.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 06:12:40 PM »
Hello,

nice painting & I like the figures. The glass is to spot the hit at the target, I belive. Thank you for showing,

Sebastian

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 11:01:56 PM »
Very nicely done.  They look cracking figures.  Who makes the tank in the background?

Offline PanzerKaput

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 06:38:32 PM »
Thanks there chaps and the tank in the background is by Reiver castings