Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 02:17:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697703
  • Total Topics: 118854
  • Online Today: 620
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (undead warband for Mordheim)  (Read 417680 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (now with Fantasy Tribe orcs!)
« Reply #1275 on: December 04, 2017, 10:10:33 PM »
And of course, they're already viable as an easier-to-move Dragon Rampant unit (half multi-base, half individual). I'd generally want to start a game with four multibases and then sub in individuals as hits are taken. It means that the initial manoeuvres are really quick.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (now with Fantasy Tribe orcs!)
« Reply #1276 on: December 04, 2017, 10:31:12 PM »
Ah cheers - no don't worry, don't think he'd fit in my desert fantasy stuff anyhoo.

I hadn't noticed it on the others - looks great, might steal it!

Offline Severian

• Scientist
« Reply #1277 on: December 04, 2017, 11:49:49 PM »
More great work on the orcs.

Seeing them en masse only emphasises what a lot that range does with a fairly limited number of poses, some on the face of it pretty ungainly; you've really brought out their character. And yes, the shields are splendid!

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #1278 on: December 05, 2017, 01:15:35 AM »
OUTSTANDING! They are a FINE LOOKING Band of Hooligans. The BEAUTIFUL shields, & striking, pale skin shades make the miniatures something unique & special. VERY WELL DONE!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #1279 on: December 05, 2017, 08:39:25 AM »
I absolutely love that last chap's shield with the monster face in profile, something really charming about it... I can imagine him sitting and painting it in between all his pillaging.
Same for me - loving the old school vibe these just ooze.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #1280 on: December 05, 2017, 10:27:57 AM »
Thanks, all!

Jagannath, this is the kind of thing that inspired the shield. I'll  follow this design more closely on the next one; I was doing it from vague memories:

Seeing them en masse only emphasises what a lot that range does with a fairly limited number of poses, some on the face of it pretty ungainly;

Yes: and some of the early Fantasy Tribe ones are quite crude - especially on the bare arms, as below (he got a mail sleeve to cover his shortcomings when he was reworked as an armoured orc):

There were a few stages of refinement, though: the Harboth's Regiment of Renown orcs were much better, as were the C15 armoured orcs. And the C16 range below incorporated both remodelled versions of the Harboth figures and significantly cleaned-up versions of some of the Fantasy Tribe ones. The one with a headscarf, scimitar and shield (top left), for instance, is a significantly better model than his earlier variants (including the tusky fellow I've just painted):

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #1281 on: December 09, 2017, 03:38:01 PM »
Here's a first quick stab at an Oathmark goblin. I undercoated the first few in black by hand and painted up from base colours - quite a strange feeling, given my usual wash-n-drybrush approach. It was quite quick, though. I want to knock a few spear-armed elements out in short order for HotT; though extensive, our HotT forces are heavy on warbands, hordes and blades and light on other kinds of foot.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (now with an Oathmark goblin!)
« Reply #1282 on: December 09, 2017, 04:13:52 PM »
He looks great! The face in particular.

I know the prow style you mean - it's a great design style.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (now with an Oathmark goblin!)
« Reply #1283 on: December 09, 2017, 05:51:18 PM »
Thanks! Here's a couple more. The helmetless guy actually has the best-painted face of the three, but my woeful photography skills serve to disguise it ...

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
Nice job on them, they look very decent figures. :)

Offline Severian

• Scientist
Excellent work - the helmetless guy's face looks very good. And I like the shield motif - I see a crude but definitely recognisable lidless eye...

Going to try and get some of mine painted later, though I've had a return of some flu-related lurgi so, thanks to pills and potions, my colour sense may be more than usually off...

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
Nice Work
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
I really like the skintones on those oathmark goblins.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks, all!

Severian - yes, that's the idea: what orcs might paint (for once!) rather than what a fanciful illustrator might put on orc shields. Hope you feel better soon; I've finally shaken free of the ague.

Jambo1: indeed - definitely the best plastic orcs on the market, I reckon.

Munindk: cheers! I painted them a flat grey, then washed with sepia and highlighted up in a couple of European "flesh" tones. The idea is to have a skin tone that's "swart" and "sallow" but not quite human.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
And here's the based spears element: