Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:14:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691095
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 880
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (Rust Monster face reveal)  (Read 403713 times)

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (1/72 kitbashed D&D trolls)
« Reply #2175 on: February 16, 2021, 10:36:53 AM »
Great idea and fantastic paintjob on those trolls :).
My roleplaying/wargaming blog: barbaricfrontier.blogspot.com

Offline Rotorcraft

• Bookworm
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (quick'n'dirty beastmen)
« Reply #2176 on: February 27, 2021, 09:53:34 PM »
Thanks, guys!

Here's a unit of Fantasy Warriors orc archers (metals by Nick Lund, plastics by Mark Copplestone). My son and I have been playing through various 'square-base' wargames, starting with Warhammer and Chainmail. We've got Ral Partha's Chaos Wars lined up next, so orc archers were required in a 12-strong batch. I had one plastic fellow done and the four metal ones about halfway, so decided to add in seven more plastic archers and blitz through them. As with all my Lund orcs, these are done to a very simple scheme, with only one layer of highlights on most areas (one more on the flesh). It's quick and reasonably effective, I hope.

I'm aiming to get some matching cavalry, heavies and more infantry done shortly, as we've got a lot of games to play with them. We'll be playing Battlesystem, Sword & Spell, Book of War, individually based HotT and Chaos Wars, as well as returning to Saga - the game that prompted me to start painting up the Lund orcs in the first place. 

Sorry to ask but I'm very curious about that "tour" for the Fantasy rulebooks that you were planning, if it finally took place and your conclusions and preferences after those games.

Thank you.

Regards.

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (1/72 kobolds for D&D)
« Reply #2177 on: February 28, 2021, 06:15:51 AM »
Here's another scratch-built monster. This one made its debut this afternoon: the Beast of Averoigne.

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=77384.0;attach=139834;image

Excellent build.  I love it!  Is it this same Beast of Averoigne, by Clark Ashton Smith?

http://www.eldritchdark.com/writings/short-stories/11/the-beast-of-averoigne

Dan
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 06:22:04 AM by Cacique Caribe »

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2178 on: February 28, 2021, 01:25:29 PM »
Thanks, guys!

Sorry to ask but I'm very curious about that "tour" for the Fantasy rulebooks that you were planning, if it finally took place and your conclusions and preferences after those games.

We got derailed by Oathmark after playing Warhammer and Chainmail. We ended up playing several games of Oathmark and then getting distracted by various boardgames (and the miniature-painting pressure applied by our daily D&D campaign). I was thinking about restarting the other day, but discovered that the Ral Partha Chaos Wars are no longer online on the Iron Wind site, which was a bit of a blow. I think I printed off the quick guide, so we may be able to play a bit on that. I'll post thoughts once we've resumed.

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=77384.0;attach=139834;image

Excellent build.  I love it!  Is it this same Beast of Averoigne, by Clark Ashton Smith?

Thanks! Yes, that's the one. We were playing through the old D&D module Castle Amber, one section of which is set in Averoigne and involves adventures based on various Clark Ashton Smith stories.

Here's another kitbashed 1/72 troll. This one's a bit bigger, but still slightly smaller than the weapon-wielding Julie Guthrie trolls, which I'll use as giant trolls (as per Fiend Folio, though I'll keep them the same colour as their unarmed brethren rather than making them reddish).

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
I painted this guy in about three hours a few weeks back to use him as the mountain giant in The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun. He could do with a bit of neatening, but he did the job.

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (now with an ettin)
« Reply #2180 on: March 15, 2021, 07:41:24 PM »
Great paintjob :).

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2181 on: March 16, 2021, 04:00:14 AM »
Cool. I like the colouring on it! Very snowlike.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #2182 on: March 16, 2021, 11:34:47 AM »
Very impressive job on the skin.
Leadhead

Offline Severian

• Scientist
« Reply #2183 on: March 16, 2021, 11:47:40 AM »
Nice work on that ettin. It's probably just the angle of the picture, but I can't help seeing the left club as a backscratcher...

Offline Mister Frau Blucher

• Scientist
    • Swords Under Distant Suns
« Reply #2184 on: March 16, 2021, 03:22:05 PM »
Thanks, guys!

We got derailed by Oathmark after playing Warhammer and Chainmail. We ended up playing several games of Oathmark and then getting distracted by various boardgames (and the miniature-painting pressure applied by our daily D&D campaign). I was thinking about restarting the other day, but discovered that the Ral Partha Chaos Wars are no longer online on the Iron Wind site, which was a bit of a blow. I think I printed off the quick guide, so we may be able to play a bit on that. I'll post thoughts once we've resumed.

Ral Partha Legacy split off from Iron Wind Metals last year. All the Chaos Wars stuff is at the Legacy website (along with Tom Meier's Thunderbolt Mountain stuff):

https://ralparthalegacy.com/

It doesn't look like the Chaos Wars books are available for download right now, but I think Jacob is still developing the website.

Fantastic painting on the Ettin!

Offline 102-year-old-man

• Bookworm
« Reply #2185 on: March 17, 2021, 09:25:25 AM »
have you guys already seen the new 1/72 fantasy sets of Dark Alliance?

really nice stuff you 1/72 D&D campaigns

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #2186 on: March 17, 2021, 09:33:21 AM »
Hmm! I would be curious to see those Anubis warriors compared to 28mm figures when they become available.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2187 on: March 17, 2021, 10:45:54 AM »
Thanks, all!

have you guys already seen the new 1/72 fantasy sets of Dark Alliance?

really nice stuff you 1/72 D&D campaigns

I had not! That solves a very specific problem for me at a stroke. I've been wanting to run the classic Caverns of Thracia module for some time - and those Anubis chaps are precisely what was missing!

The others are very nice too - great adventurer options in the Southern Kingdoms lot.

Thanks very much for pointing those out!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2188 on: March 17, 2021, 08:51:33 PM »
Hmm! I would be curious to see those Anubis warriors compared to 28mm figures when they become available.

I'd guess from Dark Alliance's past form and the numbers in the box that they'll be human-sized in 1/72 (maybe slightly on the large side, like their elves), so pretty small and slight compared with 28mm. But then again, jackal-men would probably be quite small and slight ...

The DA minotaurs (like this guy) are about the size of 28mm beastmen, but they come in sets of 32 and look much chunkier in the box photo:

« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 08:53:06 PM by Hobgoblin »

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #2189 on: March 17, 2021, 10:02:27 PM »
Cheers for that Hobgoblin. Yeah, I am thinking Jackal-men could be on the small size. I quite happily use Dark Alliance trolls already but experimenting with their Orcs to be used as Goblins was a bit disappointing.