Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:29:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (Rust Monster face reveal)  (Read 403522 times)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
The detail you paint on these 1/72 minis is simply amazing. I mean, the teeth, the multiple hues in the eyes. Wow! Great, great work!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Wow! My thoughts echo those of Jack. Great work on such small details!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
Excellent!
I have the Caeser rats but might get those Orcs too.

Offline RSDean

• Librarian
Digressions are always welcome on this thread! Yes, that looks good - and your Caesar orcs look great!

I'm mildly counter-averse, though, so I'm planning to go with  the smaller additional bases - not least because that will give me a 15mm army in the process!

My son would be pleased; those are his Caesar orcs, which I borrowed to resolve a campaign battle I shouldn’t have been setting up (since my orcs aren’t ready).  ;) 

I like the idea of using naturalistic casualty bases etc. in lieu of counters, but practically speaking I don’t have the energy, and would need to make them for each of the forces involved.

Echoing the last few post, your orcs look great!

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
@Hobgoblin, for your Dark Alliance models...are you cutting them off the thick plastic bases that come molded to them? The bases on these Dark Alliance are pretty thick and Im wondering if it's best to try and cut the base down or simply try to remove the model from the base at the foot area.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks, all!

@Hobgoblin, for your Dark Alliance models...are you cutting them off the thick plastic bases that come molded to them? The bases on these Dark Alliance are pretty thick and Im wondering if it's best to try and cut the base down or simply try to remove the model from the base at the foot area.

No - I'm far too lazy for that! And I'd also worry that the more you reduce the attachment point(s) with 1/72 figures, the more likely you are to lose them during transport or storage.

I just glue them to the MDF bases and cover the whole thing with Golden pumice gel (coarse). In some cases, I milliputted the figures to the bases before applying the pumice gel, just to make the glue bond less vulnerable to being broken. For the trolls, I have used some bits of aquarium gravel to create other areas of height in the base, so that the big base of those models doesn't make too obtrusive a mound. But otherwise, I just rely on pumice gel to even out the basing.

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
Fantastic work :).
My roleplaying/wargaming blog: barbaricfrontier.blogspot.com

Offline 102-year-old-man

• Bookworm
1/72 is just an awesome scale!  :-*

I recently bought some halfling and gnome miniatures from Blacklist Miniatures (Fantasy Series 1). They fit well into 1/72 scale!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks, guys!

Here's a small band of Tin Soldier orcs. They're unbelievably cheap for metal figures at just a quid each (and the service from the company is amazing: pretty much next-day delivery). I really like these as D&D-style orcs, and I'm going to mix them in with their Fantasy Tribe Citadel equivalents. I think these ones may also date from the early 80s.

Offline Severian

• Scientist
Great work on those - as you say, poundshop FT orcs in the best sense of the term.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
You made those orcs look quite good. I have looked at the Tin Soldier website a few times and disregarded these figs (when I first looked there were no pics, and later the pics that were there were... unflattering). I’ll have to reconsider that!

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
Looks like will do nicely as my thistlewood orcs, especially at that price.
Going to have a look at this pumice stuff.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 08:44:23 PM by swiftnick »

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (now with Tin Soldier orcs)
« Reply #2277 on: August 05, 2021, 06:25:50 PM »
Thanks, guys!

Here are some out-of-scale additions to my 1/72 HotT (and now D3H2) project. We've been playing lots of garden games over the summer, and with new playing recruits, there's an urgent need to expand the available forces. None of these elements is quite finished, but all four will do for now.

The dwarves are Copplestone 15mm, but I like how they look in 1/72: a bit small for Tolkien's dwarves, perhaps (given the need to cram hobbits, dwarves and various types of orc into the 'smaller than human' space), but good for traditional Norse/Germanic dwarves - making up for their short stature with severely oversized (and doubtless magical) weapons.

The ogres are, of course, 28mm GW orcs. They'll either be a double-warband ('brute') element or 6Bd (fast double blades) - or, most likely, both in different games. They were painted very quickly with contrast paints ages ago, but had a quick touch up last week. I've got a few more elements ready for touch-ups of their own once various repairs are carried out (several have lost their weapon hands).

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
Both dwarfs and ogres look fantastic  :-*. How small are the dwarfs in comparison to 1/72 scale humans?

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks!

Here are a few comparison shots. They're too small for Tolkien's dwarves, I think, but work fine as mythological or folkloric dwarves - and with those big spears and bicepses, they look fierce enough!