Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:10:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690735
  • Total Topics: 118344
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (Rust Monster face reveal)  (Read 402816 times)

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (Grenadier rat-men)
« Reply #2295 on: January 04, 2022, 07:17:29 PM »
Thanks, guys! I'm afraid the photos don't show them up very well because today's daylight was so dim.

They got slaughtered today in En Garde by three orcs masquerading as musketeers!

Funny you should say that! En Garde has profiles for the Twain, and I've just been looking at potential kitbashes for them. I'm going to go with a Vitrix viking body for Fafhrd with a Fireforge longsword.

For the Mouser, I'm going to do something similar to the guy on the left, whose base I've just been tarting up for this skirmish project:

Those two are gorgeous!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2296 on: January 04, 2022, 09:56:16 PM »
Thanks! They were the early (and so far only!) kitbashes in a project to make figures for all the possible PC "loadouts" in the Into the Odd RPG. As it's a great game to use for one-off, short-notice games, I rather liked the idea of having a drawerful of figures that could cover all the combinations. The idea was, eventually, to have figures for both sexes  - roll your character and here he or she is!

I'd quite like to carry on with that at some point - perhaps En Garde, with its gunpowder weapons, might provide a means to do keep the ball rolling.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2297 on: January 05, 2022, 12:37:11 AM »
Love the grenadier ratmen!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2298 on: February 04, 2022, 12:39:04 PM »
Thanks, beefcake!

Here's a return to a long-postponed project: D&D (etc.) in 1/72. I'm still planning to run Against the Giants with the full cast of miniatures; our party's journey to the giant-infested north has been interrupted, among other things, by their being transported to Glorantha. But when they get back on course, I'm aiming to switch to miniatures, either on Zoom or in person.

I'll need lots of ogres, and I reckon Nick Lund's hobgoblins work well as ogres in 1/72. Here's the first pair - one from Chronicle and one from Grenadier (via Forlorn Hope). Some of the Grenadier ones will work as ogre magi too - they even have the horn! I'll also explore the range of Monster Manual colours with some of the others - sickly violet and all.

All three of these figures need a coat of matt varnish, but here they are in their dubious glossy glory.

Offline Severian

• Scientist
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (ogres in 1/72)
« Reply #2299 on: February 04, 2022, 12:47:46 PM »
Those are great - the faces are marvellous.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #2300 on: February 04, 2022, 06:53:24 PM »
Brillant! I had those hobgoblins when Grenadier still produced Fantasy Warriors. I liked them a lot and the sculpts have aged pretty well!

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
« Reply #2301 on: February 04, 2022, 07:09:03 PM »
They look great :), I especially admire the skin tone :).
My roleplaying/wargaming blog: barbaricfrontier.blogspot.com

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2302 on: March 20, 2022, 11:50:41 AM »
Thanks, guys!

Here's a kitbashed demon for Reign in Hell:

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
He is awesome he would also look good in an ice setting as a snow demon in games like Frostgrave.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Oh yeah, that is great, both kitbash and paint looks spot on.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
great figures and paint-jobs.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
That demon kitbash is really well done. Especially the choice of colors is great!

Offline Terry Deathstrike

• Assistant
    • Samurai Redundancy Package
Very nice!

What parts did you use? FG demon torso, Mantic orc arms and a GW beastman head?

Might have to steal that.  ;)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks, all!

Very nice!

What parts did you use? FG demon torso, Mantic orc arms and a GW beastman head?

Might have to steal that.  ;)

Yes - exactly those!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
I acquired a near-pristine copy of Advanced Heroquest yesterday and am looking forward to some dungeon crawls with the kids - essentially for nights when our regular D&D/RuneQuest game is cancelled. I have very fond memories of the game, though I haven't played it since the late 80s or early 90s; I recall that we absolutely loved the 'starter' Skaven campaign at the time.

I have a few fragments of my original set floating around, including quite a few Skaven (some painted, some converted, some still untouched). And now I have a lot more. Despite their relative crudity, I really like the monopose warriors, so I thought I'd paint some more of them up. I'm going to use Citadel metal figures for most of the special types, but I'm also going to sub in Grenadier musket-rats for the jezail types and employ some of the recent, hefty Mantic ratmen as champions and warlords. And the more recent GW plastics can bulk out the warriors or serve as sentries.

To break up the monotony of the Skaven-painting, I'm going to take quite different approaches to them. This guy, for example, was painted with (roughly) layered skin tones whereas others have been done with washes over white undercoat or dry brushing over black. I already have a green-skinned one and a red-skinned one, and I plan to add more chaotic-looking freaks to the pile. That'll make them easier to tell apart on the game board or tabletop, with the bases and sheer rattishness tying them together!