Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:52:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (Rust Monster face reveal)  (Read 395479 times)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
I might give this a go too. I can imagine bleed through of colours less of a problem because of the black shadows?

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks, gents!

I can imagine bleed through of colours less of a problem because of the black shadows?

Yes, that's right - you end up with border areas where it doesn't matter which of the colours end up, because there's solid black underneath.

Here's a very quick gang of goblins - just to use up a few I had left on some sprues. To speed them up, I used an Agrax wash over everything - skin and all - and highlighted from there.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (goblin gang)
« Reply #2357 on: June 30, 2022, 03:23:00 PM »
Those look quite good, especially for a quick job!

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #2358 on: June 30, 2022, 08:10:55 PM »
Those Gobbos look excellent love the cultist red too.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2359 on: July 01, 2022, 04:55:55 PM »
Thanks, guys!

Those Gobbos look excellent love the cultist red too.

"Cultist red" was exactly what I was going for! I thought I might feature these fellows in a game as "moon cultists".

Here's an older and smaller goblin - a well-equipped individual from Acropolis. He's destined for my 25mm RPG hordes, but I think he and his foot and mounted kin might feature in Saga at some point (using Steppe-nomad profiles of some sort).

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (Acropolis goblin)
« Reply #2360 on: July 12, 2022, 06:50:07 AM »
That goblin reminds me of the babe.

Also it's a great paint job.

Offline Robosmith

• Librarian
I always like "artsy" paint styles like that.  While I don't have the ability to do stuff like that, I like when someone can do a kind of minimalist paintjob that delivers the full impact of the miniature or a really cool vibe, etc.

Shows you how much you can do with only a few colours, and the use of light and shadow, etc.
The key there is "light and shadow" but it's part of the photoshop effects being used. A lot of those really amazing looking OSL effects are flat as hell in real life and require specific lighting set ups and photoshop to really pop. If you look at the lil legend example of the skeletons and check the difference between the dark backdrops and lighting and the light you can see a world of difference in depth because the lighting set up adds more depth than is painted and the black backdrop gives more freedom to manipulate the image's saturation and shadows.

Not trying to pick on any specific people here, just using the example given but on this page http://lillegendstudio.com/blog/who-was-aster-crohne-the-ghost-of-saiph-horus-heresy/ You can clearly see he's using a red light to make the red seem more intense as the red glow on the base rim changes position or disappears entirely depending on the shot. The shadows depth regularly changes too between pictures.

You probably can match these paint jobs if you tried. You likely can't match the cheating version (and neither can they..).

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2362 on: July 12, 2022, 09:12:55 PM »
That goblin reminds me of the babe.

Also it's a great paint job.

Ha - thanks! Some of the other stuff in the Acropolis range is even more Labyrinthine!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2363 on: November 09, 2022, 02:11:51 PM »
Hmm ... it's been a while since I updated this thread.

Here are some penny-based RPG miniatures: two Tin Soldier female adventurers, a Julie Guthrie Grenadier half-orc and a Hinchliffe goblin (now available from Broadsword Miniatures).

I've switched to this lighter base colour for my 25mm RPG stuff; it's a better match for most dungeon tiles than the burnt umber, and it also looks OK on outdoor terrain. Also, it shows up darker paintjobs better. And it allows me to use these guys as 'heavy infantry' in Kings of War by slotting them into movement trays that take the frontage up to 25mm; as we mainly play with 1/72 figures, the true 25s are suitably imposing as huscarls, etc.

The Hinchliffe goblins (and hobgoblins) will probably be used as hobgoblins in our D&D games, as they're quite big.

Offline tikitang

• Mad Scientist
  • A shadow out of time...
« Reply #2364 on: November 09, 2022, 02:23:56 PM »
That blue shield in particular is fantastic!
https://a-descent-into-the-maelstrom.blogspot.com/

"The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything."

- Chuck Palahniuk

Offline Old Hob

• Scientist
« Reply #2365 on: November 09, 2022, 03:14:31 PM »
Lovely work on the shields. They're proper, they are.

I wouldn't mind a couple of photos from different angles of the Hinchcliffe chap, if at all possible? I've not seen them 'nicely' painted up before (although I've seen them slavered in Humbrol quite a few times), so would be interested to see how the old sculpt stands up.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2366 on: November 09, 2022, 04:58:12 PM »
Thanks, gents!

I wouldn't mind a couple of photos from different angles of the Hinchcliffe chap, if at all possible? I've not seen them 'nicely' painted up before (although I've seen them slavered in Humbrol quite a few times), so would be interested to see how the old sculpt stands up.

Your wish, etc., ...

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #2367 on: November 09, 2022, 05:45:36 PM »
A nifty nice model, but the shield is mindblowing!  :-* :-*

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #2368 on: November 09, 2022, 07:36:14 PM »
Splendid!

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2369 on: November 09, 2022, 08:51:22 PM »
Awesome work! The shields remind me a bit of some of the artwork in the old Fighting Fantasy books my brother and I had as kids. That’s a good thing, by the way!