Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 09:55:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697683
  • Total Topics: 118852
  • Online Today: 621
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (undead warband for Mordheim)  (Read 417646 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (more chaos warriors and orcs)
« Reply #690 on: November 17, 2016, 07:12:26 PM »
Here's a WIP shot of the assembled hordes:

Offline Devoted of Slaanesh

• Scientist
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (hordes approaching completion)
« Reply #691 on: November 17, 2016, 08:22:56 PM »
Very nice mate. Great idea and execution.  :D

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (hordes approaching completion)
« Reply #692 on: November 18, 2016, 09:43:32 PM »
Cheers!

Here's an old RuneQuest stalker demon, who'll serve as a HOTT sneaker (and perhaps a lurker on occasion). At 3 points for a sneaker and 1 for a lurker, he'll be handy to complement odd numbers of 1-point hordes.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (now with an RQ stalker)
« Reply #693 on: November 19, 2016, 12:35:48 AM »
And here are the first four finished hordes (barring painting picking out some rocks and muddy areas on the bases; that will probably follow their first deployment over the weekend ...):

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (first finished chaos hordes)
« Reply #694 on: November 19, 2016, 01:10:25 PM »
Very nice work. Truly chaotic (small c) and unique, yet they pull together nicely and look like a unit, probably due to he shared palette for the painting.

Top stuff!

Offline LCpl McDoom

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #695 on: November 19, 2016, 04:15:24 PM »
Fantastic work on your Brigade Bosch! Well done  :)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #696 on: November 20, 2016, 10:39:16 AM »
Thanks!

Here's the based sneaker element. In Hordes of the Things, sneakers can move through other troops and have a high combat value, but can only harm generals and strongholds. This creature fits the bill, I think.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
And to balance things up, here's a very quickly done artillery element for the goblin army. I have a few of these kicking around for some reason. The castings are very rough - especially the bolt-thrower itself. So I just went for a quick drybrush and wash, with the manifold flaws to be covered by a coat of gloss varnish (the unfashionable saviour of many a rushed paint job ...).

I've got an orc bazooka to base up as another artillery piece and a few smallish stone-throwers kicking around too. I quite fancy the idea of a goblin army that's half artillery elements: something like 4 x artillery @3, 10 hordes @1 and a general warband or blades element @2.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Lovely!
There is so much character in those old sculpts and you have managed to bring to the fore.
Love the skintones.
 :-* :-*

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks! Yes, I think 1984-7 was a golden time for Citadel. The centre and right-hand orcs are by Trish Morrison, I think, while the one in the mail shirt is a Perry (with a version of Fangor Gripe's head with two eyes).

Here's the fifth chaos horde. Together with the sneaker, they make up a third of a standard HOTT army. The hero takes them to halfway. Then the ravage bear from a few pages back adds another 4 points as a behemoth, and the two salamander warbands can stand in to add 4 points more. I have two Bones driders that I serendipitously based on 60 X 40 bases two years ago which can be quickly finished, and that's a full 24 points. Of course, many more hordes are in production, and I have plans for flyers, more behemoths, a magician and a dragon ...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 06:52:45 PM by Hobgoblin »

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (with orc artillery and hordes)
« Reply #700 on: November 22, 2016, 12:14:47 AM »
 :o Yup.. very Bosch.. had the pleasure to see most of his works in the flesh (or paint) earlier this year, and I can only say you've one very very very well!
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline Hummster

• Scientist
    • My blog
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (with orc artillery and hordes)
« Reply #701 on: November 26, 2016, 10:39:30 AM »
Nice concept and well executed on the Bosch style army. Makes the chaos stuff more interesting.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #702 on: November 28, 2016, 08:09:41 AM »
Thanks! It does seem rather a shame if the forces of chaos aren't, well, chaotic!

The Boschian chaos hordes saw action for the first time on Friday night, when my son and I played a game of HOTT. The chaos hordes joined forces with their goblin counterparts, but were eventually undone by my son's behemoth and flyer-heavy reptile army. I should have spent more PIPs regenerating hordes ...

I'm now contemplating a Stormbringer-style Ship of Chaos to act as an airboat in HOTT. It would sit sufficiently high above its base so that its actual size wouldn't matter (maybe with some metal chaotic on the base to help it balance). It strikes me that a sort of "reverse perspective" might work OK - i.e. using a smaller-scale model ship on the basis that (a) it's high up in the sky and (b) it's only representing a single ship (whereas the few figures on a HOTT base represent hundreds if not thousands).

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
I LOVE the things you create. They are always imaginative & WONDERFULLY painted. The profusion of miniatures I've never seen before is a delight. OUTSTANDING WORK!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (Big Head and Boar Face)
« Reply #704 on: November 29, 2016, 08:01:15 AM »
Many thanks, DeafNala! The exhumation of oldies will continue. Here's one paired with a recent kitbash:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 09:21:50 AM by Hobgoblin »