Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 05:41:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696173
  • Total Topics: 118746
  • Online Today: 453
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (undead warband for Mordheim)  (Read 414799 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks, gents.

Duncan McDane, is it the high-hatted beast master with the mace? Or the boxed-set one with the pelt and the half-moon polearm?

Here are some awful photos of the swelling ranks of the cave-goblin horde: plenty of SoBH warbands in there, and more than enough for a Lion/Dragon Rampant force too:

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
Wow! Some fantastic old sculpts with excellent muted paint jobs. I really like those last few photos - lots of atmosphere.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Evil Doctor

• Bookworm
    • Evil Doctor's long-dead lead
Those photos look like scenes from Bakshi's lord of the ribgs - top stuff!
Check out my blog - Long-dead Lead!

http://evil-doctor.tumblr.com/

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks, gents. There is something indelibly horrible about Bakshi's orcs and Nazgul - a good thing!

Here are a couple more:

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
There is something indelibly horrible about Bakshi's orcs and Nazgul

It's called rotoscoping. :` ;)

Nice photos, though. It does create an atmosphere with the whole array of orcs. A tolkienish kind of gloom. ;)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Here's a half-orc. I've got a fair few of these ne'er-do-wells kicking around - enough for a SBH warband and a Dragon Rampant unit, I suspect. They're ideal for the first, as they have a good variety of gear (this chap has a crossbow on his back, for example). For the second, I'm not quite sure what they would be. Fierce Foot, perhaps, given a lot of two-handed weapons but not much armour. But I'm looking forward to playing around with the upgrades in Dragon Rampant to see if I can give them some flavour as a horrible mercenary unit, possibly with some "mixed weapons" missile capability too.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Here's a speed-painted ettin from Descent, which I got hold of on Saturday. Great game - we had our second family session tonight - and a source of pretty reasonable large beasties.

This was a really quick job, and I'll touch up the odd bit here and there (some highlights and lining on the skulls, etc.). But as the figures themselves have the usual boardgame-piece problems (stubborn mould-lines, yawning cracks), I'm not going to worry too much about anything but the overall look. He'll do fine for SBH and Dragon Rampant, I think, as well as Descent.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (half-orc and Descent ettin)
« Reply #232 on: December 01, 2015, 12:44:30 AM »
A few more.

Offline randycarter

• Scientist
« Reply #233 on: December 01, 2015, 09:32:22 PM »
Pretty damn good looking, your speed painting!  ;)

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
Duncan McDane, is it the high-hatted beast master with the mace? Or the boxed-set one with the pelt and the half-moon polearm?

Sorry, missed this one. It's neither, I cannot find him on the net so I'll try and have a decent picture of him. He has a whip in his left hand, a gauntlet ons his right and some kind of Mohaa hairdress. It's a Morisson sculpt.
Great job on the Ettin, btw.  :)
Leadhead

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Sorry, missed this one. It's neither, I cannot find him on the net so I'll try and have a decent picture of him. He has a whip in his left hand, a gauntlet ons his right and some kind of Mohaa hairdress. It's a Morisson sculpt.
Great job on the Ettin, btw.  :)

Thanks!

Ah - I know the fellow! He's the discipline master from this release. He makes a perfect beast handler - I used to use him as one many moons ago.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #236 on: December 01, 2015, 10:52:16 PM »
Indead, that's the guy. Thanks for solving that mystery. Great, clean sculpt, still holding it's own after all those years. Might give him a couple of Blink Dogs ( from Ral Partha ) as pets or else maybe the classic Slave Ogre. But I won't spoil your topic with my musings...  ;)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #237 on: December 01, 2015, 11:04:55 PM »
Indead, that's the guy. Thanks for solving that mystery. Great, clean sculpt, still holding it's own after all those years. Might give him a couple of Blink Dogs ( from Ral Partha ) as pets or else maybe the classic Slave Ogre. But I won't spoil your topic with my musings...  ;)

The more digressions, the merrier!

The Slave Ogre is terrific - I've had one kicking around for about 25 years. I have the half-orc handlers too, but at least one needs some repairs. And yes, the Morrison hobgoblins are easily as good as any "orcish" models on the market today.

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #238 on: December 02, 2015, 12:46:57 PM »
Damn Hobgoblin, you've managed to do a fantastic thread the last few months. Thanks for sharing and posting, you really got my paintery juices flowing now. I've had a few months of inactivity but now I really feel the urge to paint!
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline rednorseman

• Librarian
« Reply #239 on: December 02, 2015, 01:52:28 PM »
Just so impressed with your collection & painting skills. I love your technique. Thanks for posting. cheers  :D