Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 20, 2024, 08:22:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1702403
  • Total Topics: 119200
  • Online Today: 617
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (Minifigs pig-faced orc)  (Read 425776 times)

Offline Philotep

• Librarian
  • Philotep
    • Philotep's 1/72 Minis Kingdom
Incredible result on that warband, I find them creepy too - not the kind of guys you want to meet, even in Mordheim! The blank eyes of the main character don't look very friendly... Too bad you have a problem of glossiness, is it the same now, even a few days later ?

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks, guys!

Too bad you have a problem of glossiness, is it the same now, even a few days later ?

They are out of my hands now, but I saw photos of them in action in London last night, and it looks as if at least some of them have become a little less glossy.

I have some orcs I varnished at the same time, three of which have stayed glossy, so I'm experimenting by leaving them in bright sunlight to see if that helps (a friend suggested that moisture might be the problem and heat might help).

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Here's the start of a new warband - inspired by @standingforms, @1988chewit and @gardensofhecate on Instagram. I wanted to get a Cult of the Possessed up and running very quickly, so decided to abandon realism entirely to create a minimalist, near-monchrome warband with only the heads and weapons painted 'properly' (and then fairly minimally too).

These are the first two members: a beastman and a darksoul:

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Works well. The little chap’s clearly no longer working for the greater good.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
I like your use of the Tau head on the cultist body to make a darksoul- it’s different enough from a normal face to be creepy! The minimalist painting works well for the subject, in my opinion.

Offline Philotep

• Librarian
  • Philotep
    • Philotep's 1/72 Minis Kingdom
If 'Garden of Hecate' is a source of inspiration, the result is likely to be very interesting  :) and I will have a look at the other sources you mention.
The result is very interesting, and I must say that, more than the black or the green, I really love the way you painted the red head, really outstanding!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks, gents!

I confess that I didn't recognise the Tau head until my son pointed it out; I found it in the bits box and thought it must be a supervillain in a mask or something!

Meanwhile, the Cult has grown - adding another beastman and a Possessed (with Scorpion Tail and - potentially - Spines):

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
Those cult guys look really striking. Your undead crew look exceptional too. The range of miniatures really look like a cohesive group: great painting.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Cool. I like them and the paint scheme.
I originally thought the beastman bodies were AOS Stormcast but can see now I'm wrong. What are they?

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks, both!

I originally thought the beastman bodies were AOS Stormcast but can see now I'm wrong. What are they?

They're Mantic "Riftforged" orcs.

Offline tikitang

• Mad Scientist
  • A shadow out of time...
Good to see the Dark World manticore being put to good use!
https://a-descent-into-the-maelstrom.blogspot.com/

Between the idea
And the reality
Between the motion
And the act
Falls the Shadow

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Good to see the Dark World manticore being put to good use!

Well spotted! The very same figure appears on page 3 of this thread; he hadn't been used since he appeared in our D&D campaign c.2020, so I thought he was ripe for repainting!

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
A great idea, very effective!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks! Despite enjoying the sun today with some cycling and tennis, I managed to get a few more cultist over the line. The addition of Heironymus Krupp, the magister, Heinrich Spol, a mutant, and another anonymous darksoul brings the Cult to well over the 500gc starting level for Mordheim.

The opening line up will be the magister with two daggers, the Possessed with scorpion tail, the mutant with great claw and club, and a brace of beastmen with heavy armour and two-handed weapons.

I'm now planning to add various other Possessed and mutant options, along with more varied henchmen (brethren and 'lighter' beastmen). It occurs to me that it would be worth converting the mace-wielding darksoul to give him a flail and match the other; I might do that if the bits box yields a suitable length of chain.

I'm now trying to find a similar hack/cheat for Skaven - got a few ideas ...

Offline Peithetairos

• Scientist
    • DaggerandBrush
The colour scheme really pops and I love the conversions!