Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:11:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690719
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 898
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What do you think about this compressor ?  (Read 11769 times)

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
What do you think about this compressor ?
« on: April 08, 2015, 08:02:55 PM »
Hi,

I've got a local store selling this compressor  :

http://www.boxes.ee/dn20086

For a very good price, I'm wondering if it could be used for airbrush and spraypaint purpose ?

It's an oiless 6L compressor, from STANLEY. In the local hardware store, it's cheaper than a online "noname"/chinese 3L tank compressor (wich I was thinking about first) ! As I know nothing about compressors, it seems a really good deal, but I would like advises from "pros" here.

thanks

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
Re: What do you think about this compressor ?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 11:37:49 PM »
In terms of specs it looks A-OK. Stanley is a well known brand here in the the US, though I have no idea what their reputation is in regards to quality/longevity.

Given the type of compressor it is (low-cost oil-less, made for garage/auto work), I'd expect it to run fairly loud. Aside from that it should do you just fine. AB's are not very demanding as air tools go, so as long as it's not one of those tiny fish tank aerator looking compressors, it should work in terms of air flow. Noise level and longevity would be the primary differences between brand/models for AB use.

This guy's using for ABing, says it's loud but good in the description, but doesn't speak or turn the unit on in vid, so the vid is kinda pointless:

This guy demonstrates the noise it makes. About what I'd expect, though it's hard to judge loudness accurately from a vid:

I think the loudness would be the deciding factor for you. It all depends on where and how often you'll be running it in relation to other people's living/working space, and how much noise you personally consider OK.

If noise isn't an issue, this will be just fine.

If noise is an issue... well, there's stuff you can do to trim the noise down a little, but these would effect either the economy, portability, or warranty of the compressor, so if noise is an issue I'd say there are better options.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 11:51:26 PM by Connectamabob »
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 12:44:24 AM »
+1 on what Connectamabob says.
My first compressor was a 1,5 HP lubricated one with an 8L tank.
Makes a hell of a noise, so I quickly got myself a genuine AB compressor (2nd hand, with a small leak between tank and pressure valve, but hey, with a noise less than my fridge, I couldn't care less if it switches on).

I've looked up the noise specs for that Stanley and it's a whooping 97 dB.
Could be interesting if you could put it somewhere the noise doesn't matter and then lay a tube to your workbench (and use a water separator and pressure valve at there)

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 04:10:06 PM »
thank you both the help.

I believe I could use a big (like 50L tank)workshop compressor instead. Near my future workshop, I've got a small room to put it, and I would bring the air tubes inside the house with no much work.

If I understand correctly, I'll have to buy a filter regulator and water separator also.

I'll keep you informed, thanks

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 01:15:51 AM »
If I understand correctly, I'll have to buy a filter regulator and water separator also.

Yes, the longer the tubes, the bigger the risk of moisture in your air gets.
The pressure valve at your workspace is to be able to regulate air pressure at that point (just bring the full 6b in)
And if you're going that way, why noy put a T- (or Y-) coupling so you can attach an air gun (ideal for cleaning out your airbrush  ;))

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 09:23:18 PM »
Thank you for your help (I missed your post  lol) !

I found some room for the compressor, in an old...fireplace  :D Since it will be closed, the noise should be significantly reduced, and I will be able to directly plug the airbrush.

So maybe I would not need extra accessories like filters and all ?  Or would I still need something else ?

thanks

Offline PortCharmers

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 10:37:04 AM »
Hello,

let me share my experience concerning airbrush-compressors:

I was put off by the cost of a decent compressor for a long time.

For a while i used a plastic gasoline jerry can with two tire-valves attached. One was rigged up to the brush, the other one was used to fill the tank with a foot-operated pump. It was about as bothersome as it sounds, pumping up the tank every couple of minutes, the cheap pumps didn't last long and i went through quite a few. However, it was good exercise for my right leg.

My next step was a designated airbrush compressor, but a very Basic one without a water separator. It was OK for small jobs, but started to spit water on my models after a while.
Later I came across a Special offer for a serious airbrush compressor, which works nice and quietly (only now I realised how big a factor this was). It is one of the Investments I never regretted and one of the tools that make me wonder how on earth I could make models without them.

So, with this experience, and considering the additional cost of water separators (let alone the trouble and danger of experiments with marmalade-jars) and pressure valves (you want to paint your models, not blow them away, which is what untamed 6 bars would do), I would recommend a real airbrush-compressor.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 10:39:36 AM by PortCharmers »

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 02:28:34 PM »
thank you for your help,

THe problem is that i cannot afford an expensive compressor. I will have money for a cheap dual cylinder airbrush compressor (the ones with these 3L tanks) or a shop compressor like the one I'm speaking about here.

I know that I cannot except much of them compared to the "pro" airbrush compressors, but I already spent a lot of money in my new modelling shop (tools but especially the room/place itself !) , now  I still  need a compressor for my scenery creations (for uses like primer coating to fine detail), even a "interim" one.

Concerning the airbrush itself, I will invest in decent airbrush, and probably also a decent paint pistol (for long term use).

Offline PortCharmers

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 06:05:44 PM »
Hello again,

Of course there are machines for 500+ Euros, but mine cost me round about 150-170 Euros. That's not so much more than the shop compressor + pressure valve + water separator + maybe some fittings.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 07:06:53 PM »
thanks,

I think I'll go for a cheap (100-150euros) 3L tank airbrush compressor set. I have to see what are the benefits of a dual cylinder one instead of 1 cylinder.

I'm also searching for infos on airbrush booth. I readed a lot of things about explosive gazes and all :o I was just thinking about making my own booth using some wood and a cheap room air extractor  lol

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 03:41:25 AM »
I have to see what are the benefits of a dual cylinder one instead of 1 cylinder.

All else being equal, a double cylinder will move a higher volume of air than a single. In US/UK terms that means they'll have a higher CFM rating (Cubic Feet per Minute), not sure what the Euro equivalent measurement is (cubic meters per minute, maybe?).

For airbrush use that means your tank will fill faster, which translates to shorter noise intervals, less long-term wear on the compressor, and less water in your compressed air lines (running the compressor longer builds up heat, which causes more of the water vapor in the air to condense as the "warm front" from the compressor hits the "cold front" of the hose and/or airbrush). You say you have a 3L tank, so check the CFM (or Euro Equivalent rating) of the compressors you're looking at against that volume to see approximately how fast they'll fill your tank.

There are a lot of pneumatic tools for auto or construction work that require higher CFM to function properly. That may be worth considering into if you're planning on using the compressor for non-AB related tools.

High CFM output can be gotten using a low CFM compressor by filling the tank to a significantly higher pressure than the tool's operating pressure, but this comes with the trade off of taking even longer to fill/refill the tank. This is why professional auto shops will have beefy compressors that cost thousands of dollars/pounds/euros: even (or especially) with a big tank, they need something can output high pressure at very high volumes, because they're constantly running high pressure/high CFM tools throughout the day.

I was just thinking about making my own booth using some wood and a cheap room air extractor  lol

Oh, lots of people do that, if not the majority of hobby-level painters (airbrush or rattlecan). Just google "DIY spray booth", there's pages and pages and pages of material on it. Biggest thing is to make sure your extractor fan has a high enough CFM (there's that thing again) to evacuate paint mist at more or less the same rate it's being sprayed, and to push the exhaust through the length of duct you need to reach the window (or whatever outside outlet you're using).
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 03:43:34 AM by Connectamabob »

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 06:16:41 PM »
thank you a lot for these explanations.

For the painting booth, I will finally use a dedicated shower booth (in fact a very tiny room with a booth, a window -wich soon will become a door- and a washbasin), wich is connected to my new modelling studio : I have to see how I will proceed with air extraction.

I'll soon post pics of my new studio, and ask for advises ;)

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2015, 11:33:54 PM »
Hi,

Me again, and last time questions. I should buy my airbrush set next week. Now I know what I need tools for scenery in priority.  I may paint some figures or armour, but it will be mostly for hobby purpose, and not often.

I fear that a simple 3L compressor will be too weak for the kind f work I have to do (like painting 10feet of rivers, or cover a 2 meter square gaming mat).

I'm now thinking of buying a 24L 8bar shop compressor, wich will be separated from my workshop, so noise problem will be minimal, and not a problem anymore.

http://www.mecafer.com/1/3/air-comprime/compresseurs/cuve-entre-11-et-40-litres/6/19/397/compresseur-24l-1-5hp-twenty.html

this one is twice more powerfull (85L/Min) than airbrush dual cylindre entry level compressors. The other feature is the fact I can order it locally, wich is a good thing for the 2 year warranty (wich is important since it will be used as a profesionnal tool).

The goal is to have a big reserve of air, a fast refilling, but keeping a small form factor so I can install the compressor in the place I reserved.

I would like to know how long (in minutes) will a 24L compressor will keep working (standard airbrush work) without switching for refilling ?

Concerning the extra filter I will need, is this :

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B010D5AYLG?colid=18BUE4UDB226G&coliid=I14ZW63DQ2BQPY&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

the kind of thing I need to add at the end of my hose, near my workspace, to plug my airbrush in ?

thank you for your help.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 12:51:52 AM by sundayhero »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2015, 08:14:03 AM »
Sorry for ducking in like this but is this the compressor you are referring to in the original post?:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-Air-Compressor-125-STANLEY/dp/B00IRA7GTS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1436771530&sr=8-3&keywords=stanley+compressor

Darrell.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 09:52:10 AM »
Hi,

It was the first compressor I was planning to buy, but since this is a loud shop compressor, I thought some extra tank capacity (24L instead of 6L) would be better for the kind of work I'm planning (90% scenery painting, 10% model and figures painting).