Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 05:24:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Mk1 Tank in the Service of the Corporation of Leicester  (Read 1967 times)

Offline PanzerKaput

• Scientist
Mk1 Tank in the Service of the Corporation of Leicester
« on: April 09, 2015, 09:37:28 AM »
Today is tank day for me, well its about a tank anyway and its the British Mk1 Tank from the Great War. Now the first thing I have to say about this is it is all not as it seems as it is not made of the usual stuff like plastic or resin but it is made from something else. To give you a clue the tank is by Warbases.

Now before you think that I have gone mad and wondering what I am doing with a Great War tank well it is for my Very British Civil War games and in particular for the Partizan game in May, yes I am going to be fielding some tanks, as well as infantry. Now the premise for this is quite simple as a lot of these Great War tanks ended up as war memorials after the war, with all the bits and pieces removed like engines and guns, etc, but with a little bit of planning, source equipment, engineering know how and a lot of time and effort you have a serviceable tank. Just how good a tank you would have would be debatable but you would have a tank none the least and it would strike fear into the hearts of the enemy, especially if they did have anything to counter it. Well thats the theory.

The actually kit from Warbases is a simple enough kit, well I say simple you do need the instructions which Warbases will email you and the thing is made from MDF, yes thats right it is a MDF tank, how suitable for VBCW. I must say that the instructions for the kit are wonderful to follow, easy to use and a good step by step guide. In fact the tank only took me about an hour to build and that included letting the glue dry before going on to the next part. Now the kit does come with the steering wheels at the rear but I have not attached them as frankly I am not a big fan of them.

Now as I have said it is a simple enough kit to build and paint and there is quite a bit of detail on it some in my opinion it looks the part. As for just how accurate it is I have to admit that I am not totally sure but looking at pictures of this tank it looks spot on to me. I think the only thing that I would change on it are the guns, they are a little too square but really thats a minor thing and something I can live with. All in all it is a good kit, its in 1/56th scale and it is the right size for my 28s, being 205mm x 90mm x 55mm. I find it totally amazing what people can do in MDF these days and the level of detail that they can get and the best thing about this kit is the price which is a steal at £14.00.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: Mk1 Tank in the Service of the Corporation of Leicester
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 01:27:49 PM »
I find your lack of rivets disturbing. ;)

But apart from that, nicely proportioned. I'd probably shell out for a resin model, though - I'm all for MDF for buildings and vehicles designed to work with the medium, but in this case, it falls a bit short, IMHO.