Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:17:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Divisional markings, Do you apply them to you're models?  (Read 1906 times)

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
Divisional markings, Do you apply them to you're models?
« on: April 10, 2015, 10:19:16 PM »
Just an observation when looking at pictures of 15mm tanks and other armour, on this and other forum's, is that some people seem to omit divisional markings when applying their decals. Just wondering why? I'm thinking that maybe it is that they are not then tied to a particular division and theatre, and the same models can be used to help make up several different armies? Just wanted to know other peoples thoughts.

Thanks.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
Re: Divisional markings, Do you apply them to you're models?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 10:40:09 PM »
I keep markings to a minimum - just enough to identify individual vehicles on the table top.  That way my models may represent any unit that I write into a scenario. 

For me it makes them more useful.  That said my aircraft have squadron markings.  But then they I seldom write a scenario around a particular Typhoon squadron they usually appear as support for the ground forces for a move or two then go back onto the shelf.

Some unique vehicles might get individual unit markings.  I have an unbuilt "Leopold" railway gun which will eventually get its full markings.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline NTM

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 10:41:44 PM »
I tend to do a bit of both. The Shermans and Churchills get full sets of markings but Stuarts etc are more generic. Means I don't have to have duplicates of vehicles common to various units. Having said that I did do unit specific scout cars just so I can purchase more of the superb Peter Pig Humber.

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 11:05:32 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I think when I come to adding the decals I'm going to leave the division symbols off. That way I can use them for east and west theatre and several different divisions, more generic as you put it. Saves time and money and it's only a small detail.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 08:03:52 AM »
Decal the vehicles up with any divisional unit you're favouring at the time, then build your scenario just as you please. When you meet Mr. Anorak who nasally opines the 23rd. Tossitoff Hussars weren't at Hill 112, tell him to prove it or bugger off, failing that nut him. We're only playing with toy soldiers after all, simple... innit!?

;)
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline MartinR

• Scientist
    • The games we play
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 08:54:47 AM »
For me it just depends, I've recently de-divisioned some 15mm stuff to make it more generic and less garish, but in the main I do vehicles with all the appropriate formation and tactical signs, ideally based on photos. For games they are just pretty 3D counters, so I sling them together into units as appropriate. If I can use APW Bavarians as standins for Napoleonic Saxons, I'm not too worried about using e.g. 9th SS Panthers as 2nd Panzer Div one's, or 11th AD marked vehicles as generic British.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke