Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:21:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686489
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gladiator Arena & Grid  (Read 32420 times)

Offline BigMecha

• Scientist
Re: Gladiator Arena & Grid
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 04:35:58 AM »
After or nearly a year now of painting my Gladiator Arena...

I'm now finished painting all of my Arena.

Here are some of the latest pictures of my Arena from no Gladiators and animals to alot of Gladiators and animals. 
If you remember or recall my Gladiators and animals are used as 40mm.  My gladiators are 40mm.

As you can see the gates are going to get some work to fit better.  I think Playmobile didn't send enough gate extensions for the gates.

Habet! Hoc! Habet!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 10:35:57 PM by BigMecha »
::::: Ancients::::::::
:::::: World War I :::::::
::::::: World War II ::::::::
:::::::: Science Fiction :::::::
:::::::::::    Fantasy   :::::::::::::::

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 02:19:13 PM »
It looks really good.  However, it bothers me that portions of it are obviously not done.  These portions include the very top top surface of the upper arches, the top of those square columns, the various small square holes, and a couple other places.  Obviously, unused Playmobil accessories are supposed to fit in there. I think you should try to cover them with plastic card, or maybe tile roofing on the upper arches.  That would "complete" the arena, and allow you to add a splash of red paint for contrast.

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2009, 09:49:04 PM »
WOW...absolutely amazing!! Great conversion. You should be extremely proud of this facility. Thanks for sharing.
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline BigMecha

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2009, 10:58:17 PM »
It looks really good.  However, it bothers me that portions of it are obviously not done.  These portions include the very top top surface of the upper arches, the top of those square columns, the various small square holes, and a couple other places.  Obviously, unused Playmobil accessories are supposed to fit in there. I think you should try to cover them with plastic card, or maybe tile roofing on the upper arches.  That would "complete" the arena, and allow you to add a splash of red paint for contrast.

Well, there are things that are odd and ends to do.  I just said I was done painting the Arena.

I am going to fill those spots you are talking about one way or another.  If you see the upper arch there are two stands there that are white
and I want to find some figures/miniatures to put there.  Have to be painted yes when I find 2 miniatures to put there.
Want them to be greek gods /goddesses.  So, anybody have any ideas for that feel free to post or email me.
I know 25 to 28mm will fit those stands.  The stand will probably have to be cut or shaved down.

As far as the holes on the arches well there are fire pieces that go there and I don't want that.  Or maybe paint it differently...those fire pieces.

In front of the Arena where the big gate door is I know there are fire pieces that go in there but I'm not sure I want to put that there.

There is a chain that I have that I haven't put in front too, where the big gate is too.

To me this is minor stuff.

When we played Saturday night,  I had alot of people walking by it and checking it out.
I was quite surprised!  I actually got alot of compliments from those who played.
I am happy they like the Arena!  It was alot of work, and I'm thankful it is done cept the small stuff.
That will get done.  I won't show many pictures next time  ....

I'm thinking of using plastic cards and covering those two spots up inside the arena area instead of using the stickers they gave.

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 11:05:51 PM »
I picked one up on Ebay for $AUD89 and I think it is the parcel that I have to collect tomorrow from the PO. I will be using this article as my colour guide.

The size is perfect, but the price is wrong. The cheapest i can get it here in Australia is $145.
 I did find one for $39 in the US, but they don't do mail order to Australia.
 I will keep my fingers crossed that they come down in price  ;D
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2009, 11:22:32 PM »
BigMecha, do you know if playmobil sell extra spectator seating and can it be added alongside the existing seating?

Chiltern Miniatures make Greek/Roman Gods & Goddesses in 28 mm.

Love your work, can't wait to start mine when I collect it from the PO.

Well, there are things that are odd and ends to do.  I just said I was done painting the Arena.

I am going to fill those spots you are talking about one way or another.  If you see the upper arch there are two stands there that are white
and I want to find some figures/miniatures to put there.  Have to be painted yes when I find 2 miniatures to put there.
Want them to be greek gods /goddesses.  So, anybody have any ideas for that feel free to post or email me.
I know 25 to 28mm will fit those stands.  The stand will probably have to be cut or shaved down.

As far as the holes on the arches well there are fire pieces that go there and I don't want that.  Or maybe paint it differently...those fire pieces.

In front of the Arena where the big gate door is I know there are fire pieces that go in there but I'm not sure I want to put that there.

There is a chain that I have that I haven't put in front too, where the big gate is too.

When we played Saturday night,  I had alot of people walking by it and checking it out.
I was quite surprised!  I actually got alot of compliments from those who played.
I am happy they like the Arena!  It was alot of work, and I'm thankful it is done cept the small stuff.
That will get done.  I won't show many pictures next time  ....

I'm thinking of using plastic cards and covering those two spots up inside the arena area instead of using the stickers they gave.

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2009, 11:43:14 PM »

I agree; definately minor stuff.  It looks great.

Offline Wolf 359

• Scientist
    • WhatThe?!Miniatures
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2009, 04:36:07 AM »

Your time and effort definitely paid off in this wonderful arena. Very nice!!

One miniature is too many, and a thousand are not enough...

Offline BigMecha

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2009, 07:28:26 AM »
I picked one up on Ebay for $AUD89 and I think it is the parcel that I have to collect tomorrow from the PO. I will be using this article as my colour guide.

The size is perfect, but the price is wrong. The cheapest i can get it here in Australia is $145.
 I did find one for $39 in the US, but they don't do mail order to Australia.
 I will keep my fingers crossed that they come down in price  ;D

That is great that you bought one and going to paint it up!  I definately would suggest it!

Remember to prime the whole arena and odds and ends in flat black.  Kryon spray I used.  More specifically what I used is on the 1st page.
You need to do your best to get ever corner and little spots you can first.  That is why I had to spray over it again to make sure it was all covered with a "primer".

The last color I used was Snowy White (by Americana - Acrylic) for the pillars and other pieces.

$39 dollars!!!! wow  ...if I can find that one that price I may buy my friend one that amount because he said he might use my arena
when he uses his 25mm gladiators in tournaments.  Not that I don't mind him using my gladiator arena

I had great ideas from the guys I know here that have had more experience painting than myself.
They knew what I wanted to do but what colors to use to give the arena a stoney look they gave me some answers to painting and showing me techniques.

I also, suggest when you start with the 1st color after priming is to make sure you don't use alot
of paint on your brush.  You can always add more paint to those areas that you want or need it than having a glob of paint lobbed in a corner of a piece.
I'm sure you know what I mean.  I'm sure you have been painting longer than I have.

As far as other pieces you can buy from Playmobil I thought I saw it said some place you can get more pieces, but I could be 'wrong'.
Now, I have to check my pieces 'guide' when I get the chance to see if it has information whether I can buy pieces from the company or where to get them.

Thanks for the information about Chiltern Miniatures!!  I will have to check them out.

If you have questions you can always email me or post on the color scheme but I think I gave it all. 

Offline Wolf 359

• Scientist
    • WhatThe?!Miniatures
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2009, 02:05:00 AM »

Just how did you make the base?

Offline BigMecha

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2009, 02:52:59 AM »

Just how did you make the base?

Hello Wolf

I didn't make the base.  The gladiator ring.

A guy I know.../friend, did this gladiator ring for me.
I only know some of what he did. 

I can ask him and get back to you...

Offline Wolf 359

• Scientist
    • WhatThe?!Miniatures
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2009, 02:59:06 AM »

Please do. Looking forward to hearing about this. Thanks!!

Offline Bookman1960

• Assistant
  • I'm a Librarian... Madam!
And the Big Statue?!
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2009, 04:13:31 AM »
And where did you find the great looking Senator statue on the rostrum of the arena?

KB

Offline BigMecha

• Scientist
Re: And the Big Statue?!
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2009, 08:39:22 AM »
And where did you find the great looking Senator statue on the rostrum of the arena?

KB

Funny you mention that.  That emperor came from UK that I bought some years ago on Ebay!!!   :D

Took me months to find one that 'size'.

I don't know where you can find it.  I don't have the box anymore for it.

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2009, 12:37:41 PM »
Looks great, cant say that I even begin to understand 40 mm but your arena is a gem!
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.