Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:46:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Gladiator Arena & Grid  (Read 32422 times)

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
Re: Gladiator Arena & Grid
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2012, 12:41:45 AM »
Bought the little one. Now I just need to see how many wall sections I need to get the full sized arena duplicated, and if there are any other pieces necessary. Any ideas?

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2012, 01:59:08 AM »
It certainly looks useful, but I can see quite a few aspects that I'd be tempted to change.

For example, it would need seating for the audience, which would be either inside or outside of the ring wall, requiring that the other wall be built somehow.

Also, the main entrance looks rather large for 1:56 scale.

Any idea as to what type of plastic it is made of?

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2012, 02:18:34 AM »
The plastic is a hard plastic ala Airfix/Matchbox kits.

It certainly looks useful, but I can see quite a few aspects that I'd be tempted to change.

For example, it would need seating for the audience, which would be either inside or outside of the ring wall, requiring that the other wall be built somehow.

Also, the main entrance looks rather large for 1:56 scale.

Any idea as to what type of plastic it is made of?
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2012, 03:25:46 AM »
Threadomancy! Sorry!

Just wanted everyone to know that Playmobil USA has the full Arena back in stock. $69.99 w/ free shipping.

Needless to say, I just bought the big bastard. Now I need to sell the little set! ::)

Anyone interested? $35 plus shipping and you too can be a lanista!

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2012, 09:04:20 AM »
Might have been tempted if you were this side of the pond but postage will probably kill things faster than a retiarius with a laser trident.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Humboldt

• Student
  • [Spheniscus humboldti]
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2013, 06:54:22 PM »

Habet! Hoc! Habet!

Sorry for pushing this old thread but I have to admit that this arena is a really gem. I already thought about buying this arena but discarded it over the actually price. But if I see BigMecha's wonderful work on here I need to think about it again.  lol

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2013, 08:48:59 AM »
I picked up one of these from an LA member here...however I've since changed my mind (simply too big - it measures 33" across!).  Now that I think BOTS will be my staple rules-set, I'll be going much smaller.

It is a nice big quality kit - typical Playmobil quality. Lovely stuff.  Oh what plans I had... :? lol
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2013, 08:59:57 AM »
Looks a perfect size - large enough to allow figures to be moved easily.....

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2013, 09:09:28 AM »
I have the Playmobile Arena. It's very nice!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2013, 10:41:04 PM »
I also have a Playmobil arena but as I intend to use it for 54mm figures I think it is the perfect size.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2013, 09:12:12 PM »
When I was debating going all out, i was planning on having my buddy cut me out several large MDF crowd stands to place around the perimeter...I think it would really flush out the project (though make it tiny bit harder to access).  I think for places like conventions the big grand arena would be really cool...definitely get attention.  I even thought of vendors outside, and I was going to put some of the graffiti on the outside walls (if you read all of the gladiator books they tend to show images which are listed as "image from the wall of the _____ ampitheatre/arena".  So I think graffiti was pretty common, and the images look quite easy to replicate with a paintbrush.

I had also planned to remove the top section (the six posts) and actually move it in front of the main entrance way, adding an awning -- I think it would increase the look of the grand entrance to the coliseum.

Add some post and fabric awnings to cover the richer audience members and you have a nice gig.  Dammit...now I'm thinking about using my friggin' arena.. lol

PS: Playmobil Gladiator minis/chariots seem to go for a reasonable chunk of change on ebay, so anyone on the fence could likely recoup $30-35 or more on ebay just with the minis sold off separately (they're out of print in several markets and ebay is awash with crazy Playmobil collectors).
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 09:19:54 PM by Elbows »

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2013, 02:19:42 AM »
Damn, I gave my figures to the kids of a friend.  :'(

When I was debating going all out, i was planning on having my buddy cut me out several large MDF crowd stands to place around the perimeter...I think it would really flush out the project (though make it tiny bit harder to access).  I think for places like conventions the big grand arena would be really cool...definitely get attention.  I even thought of vendors outside, and I was going to put some of the graffiti on the outside walls (if you read all of the gladiator books they tend to show images which are listed as "image from the wall of the _____ ampitheatre/arena".  So I think graffiti was pretty common, and the images look quite easy to replicate with a paintbrush.

I had also planned to remove the top section (the six posts) and actually move it in front of the main entrance way, adding an awning -- I think it would increase the look of the grand entrance to the coliseum.

Add some post and fabric awnings to cover the richer audience members and you have a nice gig.  Dammit...now I'm thinking about using my friggin' arena.. lol

PS: Playmobil Gladiator minis/chariots seem to go for a reasonable chunk of change on ebay, so anyone on the fence could likely recoup $30-35 or more on ebay just with the minis sold off separately (they're out of print in several markets and ebay is awash with crazy Playmobil collectors).

Offline BigMecha

• Scientist
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2014, 09:46:17 AM »
Pete (Poiter50) provided me with these comparison pics. Very useful. Thank you much!

I have not been for quite a while and I have to say your miniatures are COOL! 

ever finish painting your ARENA?
::::: Ancients::::::::
:::::: World War I :::::::
::::::: World War II ::::::::
:::::::: Science Fiction :::::::
:::::::::::    Fantasy   :::::::::::::::