Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:03:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690680
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Oldhammer In Moria: Tempt not the Valar, You Proud Hobbit!  (Read 130365 times)

Offline Mister Frau Blucher

• Scientist
    • Swords Under Distant Suns
Re: Oldhammer In Moria: April 16 - Final Blog Post
« Reply #420 on: April 18, 2020, 01:42:04 AM »
Wow, Mar,

I feel the sadness of the elves as they left Middle Earth.

Won't get maudlin, just to say I really loved the stuff you did. So sorry to hear about the stroke, and the eyes going.

Your posts have inspired my own Greywater Chronicles here and on my blog.

So many great moments:
Crom down to one hit point;
Arwen showing up in the nick of time;
Pickles and Balin;
The "ogre" undead beholder;
The Halloween kids;
The big battle outside Bree (or maybe it was somewhere else);
So many more. I'll reread your blog from the beginning to go through it all again.

So many Tolkienesque things to say, but in honor of your genre-mashing, I'll go with:

Excelsior!

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #421 on: April 18, 2020, 08:44:15 AM »
As I just posted on the blog Thank you

It has been a pleasure and a privilege to read and in some part share in your gaming.

Also I am going to be finding myself doing a lot of blog reading, to recap on all your exploits.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #422 on: April 18, 2020, 01:25:54 PM »
It is sad to see such a WONDERFULLY imaginative work end. You have been an inspiration to my own final project. Be as well & as happy as you can, my friend.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Rotorcraft

• Bookworm
« Reply #423 on: April 18, 2020, 03:34:12 PM »
So sorry to read about that.

You're and will be an inspiration for every curious gamer that find your blog and this astonishing journey of yours between fantasy worlds.

Thank you, thank you so much, Mar.

Regards.

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #424 on: April 19, 2020, 09:15:55 AM »
Very sorry to hear that. I've been rereading your marvellous thread and enjoying your beautifully painted miniatures.
Best wishes.

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #425 on: April 21, 2020, 09:27:19 AM »
Very sorry to hear about your stroke, I wish you all the best in your recovery.

I loved following your blog, thank you for the vicarious entertainment.

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #426 on: April 24, 2020, 11:22:38 AM »
I feel so sorry this wonderful thread/ your blog has ended, and the reason why makes it even more sad. I hope you do well.

I thought your history of the reclamation of Moria/all of Middle Earth, the Old World, Westeros etc. was the greatest crossover of all time.

I have always dreamed of doing a project inspired by yours (the crossovers, the quotes, the different rulesets, the broad range of returning characters), but I thought I would be copying a lot.
Maybe, now your adventure has come to an end, I may look into it again, but I will first reread your epos at least a few times! :)

''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline The Bibliophile

• Scientist
    • Scrum in Miniature
« Reply #427 on: April 29, 2020, 06:21:38 PM »
Like many here, Mar was an inspiration for me. I've posted a bit about our interactions together on my own blog here: https://miniaturescrum.blogspot.com/2020/04/tribute-to-mentor-mar-rosquites.html

Godspeed to you, Mar. You're one of a kind, and as others here note, a guiding light to many of us.

These are the first miniatures Mar painted for me back in 2016.
Scrum in Miniature (my gaming blog): http://miniaturescrum.blogspot.com
Scrum Con (my miniatures+RPG convention in Wash, DC): https://sites.google.com/view/scrum-con/home
Above the Fray Miniatures (my minis company): https://sites.google.com/view/abovethefrayminiatures/home

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
Hello all, Mar here. Just wanted to post an update about me and my return to hobby things.
2020 was a bad year for me. I lost my sight and couldnt focus my eyes for months, was bed ridden and couldnt walk either. And I also had a hard time speakingl. But miraculously my sight returned somewhat and now I can walk without a walker and I think I can speak clearly. For the past few weeks Ive moved from California to Florida and now I live in Virginia. I live close to Joe P (AKA Bibliophile on LeadAdventureForum). So I have a new gaming buddy. And will hopefully join him and his gaming group and their game convention. Im grateful for being alive and functioning, but sadly The Moria Reclamation Project is still not going to be resurrected, since all my minis and terrain for it were sold last year. Im going to be a commission painter / ebay seller once again, since I cant work anywhere else for a living. I will be starting a new project here, though I dont know if if will be a new post because it could be middle earth related somewhat. I was thinking about MUSKETS IN MORDOR as the title. Or it could be a new blog about sci fi/ fantasy in the black powder era - BARSOOMIAN CITY STATES (warfare on Burrough's pre apocalypse still lush world of Mars). I just wanted to drop in and say hello again to everyone. Especially in my favorite forum. (waves to the LAF) Oh and  I have figures kitbashed and primed but not yet painted. Pics coming soon.

From my blog: https://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2021/07/raise-dead-spell-succeeds-or-how-i.html

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #429 on: July 09, 2021, 07:10:13 AM »
Simply, welcome back.

Its glorious your able to return to doing something you enjoy, and more so that we can again share in some of your imagination, I certainly welcome whatever your next project will be.

May you continue to move from strength to greater strength, and you and your new gaming buddies revel in it.

Its a shame oldhammer in Moria  is finished - maybe, but, you know, of the two things - no more of that, or no more of you?

I think your many friends will have already told you the second being around is better - and as such - we can all imagine what happens next for Moria Oldhammer, whilst we cannot imagine what your going to do next.

I for one, look forward to finding out.

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
Thank you Tactal. I always considered the Moria project to literally be my very own "last hurrah" project.
But I got a new lease on life and so new plan, so that is a good thing.
I got two choices for a new project as I see it.
I always talked about campaigning in an imaginary world of my own making.
Something serious and original is what I would really like to do.
No more parody mish mashing.
But then again,  Ive long planned a Barsoomian-like campaign in the light hearted vein of The Moria Reclamation Project.
I was just talking with Joe P about how John Carter's initials are J.C. and how he might be one of Moorcock's eternal champions.
And he was also planning a Barsoom campaign before I got here.
So maybe I cant avoid the mish mash. John Carter, Star Trek, Star Wars, Dune... So much source material ripe for the "parody-ing"
Its in my blood stream.
Or its fate.
 Its all connected...

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Great to hear you are on the road to recovery and returning to the hobby! I for one am looking forward to seeing your new projects develop.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline 2010sunburst

• Scientist
Glad you are recovering and looking forward to seeing this develop.

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
Splendid news, I'm glad you got another chance to do something you're passionate about.

Offline Mister Frau Blucher

• Scientist
    • Swords Under Distant Suns
Hey, Mar!

So glad you're doing better, and great to hear from you.

I love both of your Mordor and Barsoom ideas, but it would also be cool to see where your unfettered imagination leads, as well. I check option D: All Of The Above!  lol 

I live in VA, as well, in the Hampton Roads area.