Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:52:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Oldhammer In Moria: Tempt not the Valar, You Proud Hobbit!  (Read 130340 times)

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
Re: Oldhammer In Moria: Mordorheim 1st Battle AAR
« Reply #450 on: August 24, 2021, 08:42:55 PM »
@Mister Frau Blucher, Yeah, who would have thought screamers of tzeentch would make good pets?

From blog post here:https://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2021/08/sisters-of-sigmar-order-of-shai-hulud.html

Sisters Of Sigmar (Order of Shai-Hulud)

I had a brain lapse last blog post, and got those two gentlemens names mixed up - CS Lewis and Lewis Carrol. But in my defense, I did intend to mashup the two worlds of Narnia and Wonderland. I was just waiting for the right time. But here is the jist of my C.S. Lewis Carrol Theory...

CS Lewis and Lewis Carrol are the same person called...  C.S. Lewis Carrol.
Both Narnia and Wonderland have evil queens, talking animals (Aslan, Mr Beaver, White Rabbit and the Cheshire Cat) and little heroines who find a hidden fantasy world (Alice enters through a rabbithole, and Lucy enters through a wardrobe). Lewis Carrol died the same year that C. S. Lewis was born. Both were Anglicans. Both were Irish. Both were Oxfordians and both have memorials in Westminster Abbey. I rest my case. There is some conspiracy here that is Lovecraftian in nature. The man to investigate would be Mr Roger Green who was the founder of the Lewis Carrol Society, became an acquiantance of Lewis' nieces and edited Lewis' diary. Mr Green was also an Inkling, a friend to CS Lewis and wrote a biographies of both CS Lewis and Lewis Carrol. With that said, some of those named anthropomorphic animals will be appearing in the near future.

Anyway back to the latest heroines...

Left to Right: Sister Trinity, Sister Pomona

These two ladies are Sisters of Sigmar (order of Shai-Hulud) based out of Minas Tirith. Sister Trinity is the elder Honored Matre and has been trained in the mystic arts of Prana-Bindu, which gives her superspeed, agility, and martial strength.

Sister Pomona is Sister Trinity's padawan learner. Pomona is a prodigy who has an innate ability to bond with all manner of beasts. When Pomona was a child, her entire village was destroyed by a giant sandworm. The great beast spared Pomona who rode it like the Sandriders of the Easterling lands of Arrakis. The Worm took her to Minas Tirith where the Sisters of Sigmar took the young girl in. It must be Sigmar's will, the people said. And so Pomona was given as an apprentice to Jedi Matre Trinity, whose job it is train Pomona in the ways of the Force.

Pomona: Whoa. Deja vu.
Trinity What did you just say?
Pomona: Nothing. Just had a little deja vu.
Trinity: What did you see?
Pomona: A gryph-hound went past us, and then another that looked just like it.
Trinity: How much like it? Was it the same gryph-hound.
Pomona: It might have been. What is it?
Trinity: A deja vu is usually a glitch in the Moria Reclamation Project. It happens when they change something.
Pomona: Lets follow that gryph-hound!

The girls find the gryph-hound and a strange looking token.

Pomona: This gryph-hound is a hunting hound. And it has found something. *scritches the gryph-hound's neck*
Gryph-Hound: Kweh?
Pomona: This is a domesticated hound. Wild ones say "Wark".
Trinity: Lets see what this little guy found. *Inspects the Token* Hmmm... its a book of some sort. Its written in Khazdul the language of the Dwarves. It says "The Book of Pickles".
Pomona: Wow. The Dwarves really must have liked pickles to write a whole book about them.
Trinity: No. This Pickles seems to be the name of some Dwarf. See here it says "... this is the record of the last days of Moria after the Sundering and the coming of The Things That Are Worse Than Balrog." We must take this back to our Convent in Minas Tirith. There are other sisters there who can translate this better than I can.
Pomona: We should keep the gryph-hound?
Trinity: Dont you have enough pets?
Pomona: *pouts*
Trinity: Fine. But you better feed it and clean up after it.
Pomona: Great! I shall call you Rhombus!
Rhombus the gryph-hound: Kweh!

-------

What secrets does the Book of Pickles contain? There must be some hint about what happened to the Dwarves.

Will the Sisters be sent to investigate the long dark of Moria? What could be worse than a Balrog?

And how will the adventures of Zorelle, Aly, Alice, and Istriya be connected with Trinity and Pomona (And Rhombus!)

But most importantly... will Rhombus and Cosmo get along?

Til next time...

Cheers,

Mar
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 08:48:56 PM by Mars Miniatures »

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
 From post here: https://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2021/10/tom-meier-darksword-minis-new-fantasy.html

In this post we have a bunch of newly painted figures sculpted by Tom Meier from Darksword Miniatures. Tom has been a long time favorite sculptor of mine from his days at Ral Partha. I painted lots of those minis in junior high. "Behold Ral Partha Minis! Cast when birds and beasts and flower were One with Man, and death was but a dream!" Righto Merlin, you tell em. So anyways, now Im on a mission to collect all of Tom's minis from Darksword. They are truly a prize worthy of Mordor.

So, onwards to some background fluff and some pics!

All across Middle Earth dire portents abound!
The Free Peoples of Middle Earth are stirring from a long period of peace to find that evil may be lurking where they least expect it... err. maybe where it always tends to come from. Some places are just chock full of the dark side of the Force!

Gondor (and Rohan) is under ominous and unknown threats from Moria and/or Mordor. Anybody out there know whats going on?

Rivendell cordially invites a delegation from your people to join the Free Peoples in a democratic council to decide the future of Middle Earth. Please RSVP to reserve a chair at our table ASAP. Sincerly Yours, Elerina the Half Elven, Lord of the Last Homely House East of the Sea

Hobbits volunteer to explore Moria! Here ye, hear ye! The Shire has answered the call to investigate the omens that portend a new apocalypse looming over Middle Earth. Or maybe they just want to find the long lost Book of Bugman's Beer Crafting. Also, do any of the Dwarf colonists still exist in the Dwarrowdelf? Remember when we traded Shire pipeweed for good Dwarven beer? Hobbits sure do miss their larger, fatter, mountain dwelling cousins.

~~~

And so one fine summer day, the Council of Elerina in Rivendell awaited the delegates from other friendly nations. Gondor had spared no expense and had sent their ambassadors via giant eagle priority Uber-Lyft (Lift... because eagles got wings, get it?). With them they had sent the recently acquired Book of Pickles for translation. Rohan came by horse of course, of course. A young Ent of Fangorn Forest came on his own two feet, or roots it seems (stems, if one were a plantling and an Ent). But none of them could reveal the Books secrets by any language or combination of magic words. It was simply a blank book with blank pages except for its cover that read "The Book of Pickles" in the Khazalid Dwarfish language. Many a magic incantation or secret masonic call was given:

"Annon edhellen, edro hi ammen!/Fennas nogothrim, lasto beth lammen!"

"ade due damballa give me the power" "Abra Abra Cadabra... I wanna reach out and grab ya"

"by the power of greyskull"   "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"

"to infinity and beyond"    "beetlejuice beetlejuice beetlejuice"

But the Book remained blank.

Finally a shy Hobbit from the Shire came forward. Hobbits are a naturally unassuming people and Tuddle was only forced to come because he drew the shortest straw when the summons came from Rivendell to send a representative. Tuddle spoke with a voice that was too high and too trembly, "I solemnly swear I am up to no good" and the book came to life and its pages were magically filled with writings and maps. Most curious was the front inside cover that folded out as a map with a blinking spot where the delegation was taking place - it was the legendary Marauder's Map that was in Pickles keeping. "Lucky guess?", said Tuddle.

A new fellowship was then chosen to plumb the depths of Moria to seek any dwarfs still living there and to uncover any clue as to the new phantom menace that threatens middle earth.

Left to Right: Mortimer the Brown, Istari Wizard and Shrub Beard, Entling Adventurer

Mortimer the Brown, nodded and waved his hand and a massive firework display in the shape of an Owlbear shot up into the sky to show not only his support but also of the Istari Wizards who wander Middle Earth. It was at his insistence that this council be formed here in Rivendell.
Shrub Beard, an Ent, perhaps cut from Treebeard's line, made a deep rumbling  Hhrrmmmphthhh sound to signal his wish to join. But was he a true Ent or more of a Shambling Mound really?

Left to Right: Lady Elerina, Half Elven Sorceress of Rivendell and Anais, Half Elven Fighter

Lady Elerina, the half elven lord of Rivendell had chosen to go herself. She was considered to both wise and powerful in magic. And unlike her predecessor - Elrond long ago, this time she would personally join this new fellowship. Headstrong she was, and none of her council could dissuade her.
Anais, her personal bodyguard and dutiful handmaiden had insisted to also come to watch over her lady. While slight in build, she was as deadly in combat as any Elven lord in the court. Plus she was handy at making tea for her Lady.

Left to Right: Tuddle, Hobbit Burglar (in training) and Poppy, Hobbit Herbologist

Tuddle, for his ingenuity would represent the Shire. Perhaps he could be useful in solving the many mysteries of Moria. 
Poppy, a Hobbit that had actually volunteered to be part of the Shire's effort in the upcoming adventure. Not only was she skilled in the ways of herbology, she was too brave to be a respectable Hobbit. Even as a child, many in her family had said she was dropped off by Took-ish gypsies as a baby.

Left to Right: Cosette, Rohan Paladin and Kipper, Squire

To represent Rohan, the paladin Cosette proclaimed, "By my life or death I can help you, I will."
And at her side, Cosette's Squire, Kipper also stepped forwards.

Left to Right: Baron Orson, Lord of Lebennin and Haystacks, Fighter from Ringlo Vale

Then the delegates of Gondor came forward to complete the circle. First came Baron Orson, who some said was a shrewd but wise Lord of the Outlands. Others would replace the word shrewd with "opportunistic". But they would do so only in whispers, for the Lord of Lebennin was also a vindictive sort of man.
Finally the friendly warrior Haystacks of Ringlo Vale gave everyone a wide grin and a wink to balance the seriousness of Baron Orson.

And immediately everyone looked to the others around them and were happy that such a fine, wise, and goodly companionship had formed. So Elerina gave her approval with a nod and raised a cup of mead and made a toast, "To the Fellowship of the... Book?" Doesnt have quite the same"ring" to it, does it? Oh yeah, "ring"... get it? *drum roll... Bah Dum Tss*

~~~~~~~

So there's the fluff.

Next post we will see stats for these new fellows and the scenario details for their first adventure.

So yeah, pre-game details are coming up in a day or two.

Then a battle report either this weekend or next. Maybe both?

Next post: The Battle of Bugman's Tomb!

Cheers,

Mar

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
As always utterly wonderful stuff comes out of your head, mashing up so many things from so many other places its boggling to keep up at time s with the references!

Great, and the more the merrier, keep it up!

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
@Tactalvanic
As always utterly wonderful stuff comes out of your head, mashing up so many things from so many other places its boggling to keep up at time s with the references!

Great, and the more the merrier, keep it up!

What some call wonderful, others would call frivolous.  o_o
But thanks, buddy!
I dont know how long I can keep these story threads straight myself.
Cheers,
Mar

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
Taken from full post here: https://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2021/10/the-battle-of-redhorn-pass-caradhras.html

The Battle Of Redhorn Pass (Caradhras) Part 1

So the day of battle arrived when Mr Joe P left his native lands of Springs O'Silver (a subdivision in the Marienburgher province of Marienland) and travelled some 15 miles as the crow flies, as Gandalf would say. Perhaps more, Mr Grey Wizard sir. One thing the wiz is right about, is that the board is set and the pieces are moving... right here in my basement room. Battle is upon us here, once again on the Moria Reclamation blog.

Mr Joe P will be in command of the forces of Good - the New Fellowship (boo, hiss!) and I would command the forces of Evil - Bull Ogres, Ghosty Chainrasps,  some Crypt Terrors aka Nosferatus in bestial form, and possibly an old adversary or two from days of yore on this blog's list of known villains.

So the only update/change to the pre-game summary (see last post)  is:

As the PCs start the game, Tuddles reads from the Book of Pickles. It says, "The Statue of Bugman's Tomb holds the updated passcode for entering Moria. Respect the honored fallen and touch nothing but the statue."

And that last bit is... "vital" to this scenario (perhaps not to space travel... Spice is. And maybe a Bill Shatner overcome with emotion. No, you say... not really? The man needed a hug after going up in a rocket, man... he's burning up his fuse out there alone,.Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids, In fact it's cold as hell, And there's no one there to raise them, If you did)

Oh and a new rule that should come in useful.

Addendum: -1 to Leadership rolls for each adjacent enemy when trying to step out of close combat (base to base contact with enemy). Or in D&D terms, its the Oldhammer version of the 5' step back rule, but here you can move a full distance if you succeed that roll.

Enough with my frivolous banter and let's onwards to the Battle Report...

So the Fellowship splits up in 2 mobs, one with (left to right) Lady Elerina, Haystacks, Tuddle, Baron Orson, and Shrub Beard.

And the other mob with (left to right) Kipper the Squire , Poppy, Paladin Cosette, Mortimer the Brown, and Anais.

Baron Orson: Will somebody get this walking topiary out of my way!

Shrub Beard: Hoooommmmm Mrglmrglmrglmrglmrgl   

Mortimer the Brown: Shrub Beard says you remind him of a Murloc. Oh and you should let the Shambling Mound win... they've been known to rip people's arms out of their socket.

Baron Orson: Dont you mean Mynocks? Murlocs are a different IP altogether.

Mortimer: No. the mrglmrglmrglmrglmrgl sound is definitely Murloc-ian. Murloc-ese? Murloc-speak.

Lady Elerina: Lead the way, Hobbit!

Haystacks: Preferably the way with the least amount of things we have to fight... I really dont like killing things.

Tuddle: Um... Ok. I will do my best?

Lady Elerina: That is a sign, young Hobbit, of a very dangerous warrior. Those blessed with martial abilities never feel the need to use them... or prove them. I will watch over your career with great interest, warrior.

Mortimer the Brown: Im glad you are with us, Lady Anais.

Anais: Just call me Anais, Im no Lady. Im a bodyguard to a Lady, though.

Mortimer the Brown: Well Im glad you are guarding our bodies, then.

Anais: Was that some kind of sexist joke, you dirty old wizard?

Mortimer the Brown: Oh my word. No! No. I only meant to lighten the mood... Um...

Anais: Mood? What kind of  "mood" do you want me to be in?>

Mortimer:  Oh Valar help me. I only meant...

Anais: Relax, boomer.  See... I can joke too when Im not lopping goblin heads off for fun.

Mortimer: *wipes his forehead with his sleeve*  Oh... ha.  ha.  hahaha... good one.

Kipper: So, I dont think Ive ever met a Hobbit Herbologist before. I have great reverence for medics. Especially when heading into battle. My mother always said to make friends with those who can name healing herbs as their friends.

Poppy: Oh. Im not a people doctor. I usually treat farm animals back in the Shire. But people... animals... whats the difference? Amirite?

Cosette: I knew I should have taken some elective classes in "healing hands" in Paladin School.

And so one group passes by a mausoleum (and the DM makes those in range roll LD tests)

Cosette and Poppy see something shiny. Something glittering in the darkness of the mausoleum.

Poppy: I cant quite make out what that is...

Cosette: Its the briefcase in Pulp Fiction! Its a McGuffin of some sort... I think I remember someone saying he stuck this uncomfortable hunk of metal up his...  Oh wait, no that was Punchy's watch. Lets get closer and take a look.

Mortimer: Wait, this smells of a trapish nature. Watch out for big rolling rocks that might chase and crush us! If only we had better eyesight somehow.

Anais: Uh... Im elvish? *points to her eyes* Infravision, yo... Anyways, there is a treasure chest in there. A shiny gold treasure chest. If the chest is made of gold, what do you think is inside it? Most be a Dwarf thing of some value.

The other team comes upon a similar mausoleum as well...

Shrub Beard: Hoooomph tinktinktink... tink.

Baron Orson: Thats exactly what I was thinking also, Tree. I think Im getting your language slowly. Lets loot this thing already!

Tuddles: Wait!  NO! dont touch it. Remember the book said "Respect the Dead. Touch nothing but  the Statue!" This is that part in Aladdin where those thieves touched the gold in the Cave of Wonders and bad things happened!

Elerina: I better use my Mind-Speak spell and tell the Wizard's team to not touch anything!

So with that done... the Fellowship move on. And start hearing faint whispery voices and one low grumbling voice. And so they creep ahead and...

They overhear an Ogre speaking to 2 Chainsrasp Nighthaunts. The PCs see them, but the monsters dont see them back, yet.

Ogre: Now remembers... da Boss says to snatch da hobbits and theys book.

Chainrasp Ghost #1: Wwwhaaat abouttttt theeeeee othersssss...?

Ogre: Smash dem up really good and turns dem into fine powder to put into soup. Heh heh. Humie soup... Yum fer us. *looks at his ghosty companions* Well fer me.  I aint had proper meat in days.

Ghost #2: *raises hand*  Escuse meeeee, misterrrrrr Ogrrrrrrrre. Butttt loooook thereeee.... Iiiiii spyyyyyy withhhhhh myyyyy litttllllleeee undeadddddd eyeeee socketttt...

Before the Ghost can finish his witty remark (for a ghost that is) suddenly...

Shrub Beard comes barreling in and hammers his branchy fists into the Ogre. And right beside him the fighter from Ringlo Vale - Haystacks swings his sword into the Chainrasps, tearing them apart like paper... smoke-like paper....  burnt paper - that is turning into smoke... (oh you get my point)

The other team runs into Ogre trouble as well!

Anais: Everyone get behind me~! I am a bodyguard afterall! Carry on the mission without me!

Kipper: Im from Rohan... we leave no one behind! Or in front... you are walking point for us. And Im a caddy... errrr... I mean squire! We help heroes and all that.Which sword do you need? A five Iron? Wait, no... this beastie is a big 'un! you need a composite, something with titanium... I'll be right back, Cosette has just the sword needed to beat this thing.

Anais: I got my Rivendell Needle right here. *draws her sword*

Mortimer and Poppy make it to the target Statue.

Poppy: Oh man... I feel bad leaving Anais like that. That Ogre looks like trouble.

Mortimer: Well, Kipper and Cosette are with her. Im sure they will be ok. Lets wait here for the other team to arrive then some of us will head back to help.

Meanwhile, looks like they arent alright afterall like Mortimer said...

Cosette: Where did all these ghosts come from?

Kipper: These things are fast. I need to get back to Anais!

At that moment, a loud thunderous sound is heard. As if the very fabric of space and time were being rent asunder! Some thing or things are clawing their way into our dimension.

A giant portal, some would call it a Dimension Door, others would call it a Baleful Realmgate, opens up and out pour five beings from the Plane of Elemental Fire!

And then a Voice booms out saying:  Heroes, we have seen you! We have watched you! For a Thousand years we have watched you! Who among you still fears death? Who will not face emptiness? You have chosen to honor the dead and so... the Azer Fyreslayers will join your side in battle!

Poppy: Fire Elementals!  The Dwarves must have hired them to protect the tombs here. They arent evil they are contractually obligated to perform a task by their employers. Good thing we didnt pilfer those mausoleums. I'd hate to have those things chasing us.

Mortimer the Brown: *surprised look at Poppy* Im glad they are on our side too. But, how does a Hobbit know about Fire Elementals and their ways?

Poppy: When I was younger, me and the braver boys from Brandyhall and Crickhollow would go tomb-raiding into the Barrow Downs and bypass Wight security systems all the time. The Dwarf hackers were called "Legion of Khazad-Doom", and the Stygian hackers were "Legion of Thulsa-Doom", and the Latverian hackers? Yup "Legion of Doctor Doom"

2 Azer Fyreslayers head south towards another Ogre and some ghosts.

They let loose with throwing axes and close into close combat like Tilean legionnaires of old.

And 3 other Azers head West to fight against a Crypt Terror. As is usual with these denizens of the Flesh-Eater Courts, this Crypt Terror lives in a delusion of his former life as a knight of the realm before his current cursed undead state - when his name was once Sir Selmy the Bold, captain of the Kingsguard.

Sir Selmy the Bold: Defilers!  I will smite thee if you layest a hand on these honorable townspeople. *sees the Azers strike down a chainrasp*  Have at thee, villainous monsters!

But all the Azers hear is this...

Selmy the Crypt Terror: Rarrrrgh!  Gooooorrrrrrrrrrr! Aaaaaannnnnguhhhh....  Yarrrgh!   

Azer: I wonder if this beast has a language? Or is it just making gutteral noises?

Finally the other team arrives at the Statue.

Haystacks: Well here we are Hobbit! I hope you can figure out what we are doing here.

Tuddle: I think I have to find something on this Statue... maybe a secret lever or something...

Poppy: You can do it Tuddle! You are the smartest Hobbit in the Shire!

Mortimer: Ok you guys, we got to go help Anais and the Rohan folk. Baron... will you stay here with Tuddle? And guard him with your life?

Baron Orson: Huh? Oh... yeah sure thing.

As the others leave...

Baron Orson: So do your thing, Hobbit. *wonders what treasures were in those mausoleums*

Tuddle: Hmmm...yeah, ok. I think I should pull the statue's finger. That always works, right?

And as Mortimer arrives to help Anais, he looks around to find no one else with her. Or with him!

Mortimer the Brown: Lady...  ermmmm I mean Miss Anais! Im here for you! I mean to help you beat it. By it.. I mean the Ogre  *gets ready to be roasted by Anais yet again*

Anais: About time! That Rohan squire took a hit from the Ogre and I havent seen him since. I could use some help!

Mortimer: How about some magical help... in the form of a wash cycle *casts a Rain spell, which causes a little cloud to form over the Ogre's head - raining down on it and making it harder to hit Anais* and now a little drying heat? *casts Piercing Bolt that zaps the Ogre with a Bolt that well.... Pierces it? The laundry is.... done!

The Ogre is stunned and Anais finishes it with a stab. The monster goes down.

Anais: Not bad for a wizard... a little wordy... but not too shabby. *looks around for Kipper* I hope that squire is ok... and my Lady Elerina, too!

~~~~~

So there is part 1 of this battle report.

Is Kipper the Squire ok? And Lady Elerina? Will Tuddle solve the puzzle of the Statue? Will the Baron watch over Tuddle or look to find something worthy (translation: selfishly profitable)?  And will Mortimer the Brown fire off anymore terrible quips? Seriously did he just use a laundry quip?

Tune in tomorrow for the second part.

Cheers,

Mar

Taken from full post here: https://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2021/10/the-battle-of-redhorn-pass-caradhras.html

« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 01:51:32 AM by Mars Miniatures »

Offline Mister Frau Blucher

• Scientist
    • Swords Under Distant Suns
Re: Oldhammer In Moria: Battle Of Redhorn Pass (Caradhras) Part 1
« Reply #455 on: October 19, 2021, 03:19:22 AM »
Great stuff, Mar! As usual, a few references went over my head, but I'll figure it all out...

Setting my alarm clock for tomorrow, sharp!

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
  • Fully Painted Since 2010
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #456 on: October 19, 2021, 03:39:57 AM »
What a delight to drop by and see that you've beaten the odds and returned to this glorious hobby! Just wonderful news...every day is a gift!  :)

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
« Reply #457 on: October 19, 2021, 05:15:11 AM »
Thanks buddies...

@Mister Frau Blucher,  Ha! Sorry if Im making this seem like work.  lol But feel free to ask if you need help with any of those dastardly references. Also, yup! Like we discussed on your own blog, I have indeed been reading more about Braunstein-ian games with Mr Arneson. Thanks for that bit of hobby history that I was always fuzzy on. I need to see if there is anything in Braunstein games that might help out in my own campaign here.

@PatrickWR, Hiya buddy. Yes, everyday is indeed a gift. I always knew that phrase, but never really understood it... as I do now.
And Im trying to figure how I know your name/ handle. I dont think you were just a reader of my blog. Im tempted to say you were someone I commision painted for? Pardon me, if I cant recall properly. My brain doesnt function like it should.

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
« Reply #458 on: October 19, 2021, 09:25:45 PM »
Taken from full post here: https://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2021/10/the-battle-of-redhorn-pass-caradhras_19.html

The Battle Of Redhorn Pass (Caradhras) Part 2

When last we left you...

The Fellowship made some friends from south of the border. Further than that. Much, much further...

Its pretty hot, like tropical in the elemental heat sense. Azers from the Elemental Plane of Fire are now allies with the Fellowship and are staving off attacks from Ogres, Crypt Terrors, and an onslaught of Chainrasps. So thats one side of the board under control.

On the other board half...

Poppy: Now you hold still Mr Kipper, sir. First, a splash of fermented Elderberry Juice - sans a 2nd taunting. Then a poultice made of Kelpie strands. And finally, a wrap of Willowbottom Banana Leaf... and voila good as new!

Kipper the Squire: Good enough to battle? Well, I smell good enough to eat... dont tell the Ogres that though. Thanks Poppy you're a lifesaver! Now to head back to Anais...

Poppy: Oh... uhh. Dont look now, Mr Squire. But I got a feeling we are being watched...

Kipper the Squire: If we turn around slowly, we wont get scared... *turns around slowly*

Chainrasps: Booooooo....weee willll eeeeeaattt yourrrrr soulllllll....

Poppy: I dont think the slow thing worked... *shrill scream*

Nearby... another battle scene.

Lady Elerina: Begone foul spirits! The power of Tinuviel compels you! The power of Tinuviel compels you!

Haystacks: Why are you all alone Mi'lady? Where is your bodyguard? Where are the Rohirrim?

Lady Elerina: Everyone is fighting somewhere... just not here. The Paladin was here with me, but she has gone to help the Azers!

Haystacks: Well Im here. And I will make sure that no harm befalls you.

And indeed the Paladin Cosette came to the Azers' aid right on time.

Cosette: Oh no! one of your friends has died!

Azer Chief: Azers never die, we are merely banished from this dimension for a set number of months as mandated by the Dimensional Port Authority.

Banished Azer:  Hasta la vista... if you need me I'll be in the Plane of Elemental Fire! Come with me if you want to live... somewhere tropical! *He gives a thumbs up as he is slowly engulfed in lava from the other dimension*

Azer Chief: Oh and Bob! Tell my wife I wont be home for a bit. There's a fair spot of work to be done on this side.

Bob the Banished Azer: *faintly from the other dimension* I will, buddy... Adios... amigos!

With her banner fluttering above the din of battle, Cosette sings a little ditty to bolster the spirits of the remaining Azers...

There is a castle on a cloud,

I like to go there in my sleep,

Aren't any floors for me to sweep,

Not in my castle on a cloud

And even with the Ogre gone, the waves of undead still keep coming...

Mortimer the Brown: Hold the line! The best we can do is keep the enemy at bay and buy Tuddle more time to get the job done.

Kipper the Squire: Aye. Once more into the breach!

Anais: For Imladris! For the Lady of Rivendell!

Meanwhile, a new terror approaches the other team. And this new terror is actually an old one... in a new form. How far you have fallen... Murkillor. Once an important Wraith General during the 3rd Age, he has been constantly changing form every time he fails in his duty to the Dark Powers. See this post to refresh your memory: http://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2015/07/july-4th-weekend-part-3-army-of-darkness.html Now he has been reduced to a Grimghast Reaper. Yet his spirit is undaunted and with him, another Ogre charges into battle with Shrub Beard.

Murkillor: I live.... again.....

The chase is on... Tuddle finds the Clue! He and Poppy make a run for it with the Baron leading the way.  But Shrub Beard remains behind to fend off or slow down the enemy.

Poppy: We cant leave Mister Shrub behind! He is all by himself!

Baron Orson: C'mon Hobbits, we are leaving! Hurry up, Poppy... or you're going to end up a permanent resident!

Poppy: Typical...

But Hobbit legs can only go so fast. And Poppy does fall behind... and as Shrub Beard backs up, he is unaware that Poppy is right there...

And the Ogre thumps her once on the head with his club and thats all it takes to knock her out!

Shrub Beard blames himself for Poppy's death and he lets out a deep roar in Entish anguish. Battle is joined anew between beastly monster and plant-ish fury!

No one hurts his friends. No one! So consumed with vengeance is the Ent that he fails to realize that Murkillor is missing.... Where could he have gone off to?

And of course, like any smart villain, Murkillor goes after the Victory Conditions. He must take the Hobbit and that Book! And Murkillor succeeds in wounding the Hobbit. Tuddle is near death. Will anyone be able to save him?

Baron Orson: Faster. Must. Save. Myself. The Fellowship is done...

Tuddle: Noooo... must go on... Get up Tuddle. Get up... Now!

Tuddle makes his LD test and escapes base to base contact and runs for it. No thanks to Baron Orson!

Meanwhile... the combined efforts of Cosette and the Azers bring down the Crypt Horror, with thoughts of a heroic death, the Flesh-Eater dies again. But is death ever a permanent death for Sir Selmy the Crypt Horror?

Azer Chief: Human lady fights well! And sings! Come visit our homeworld and have a pina colada with us!

Cosette: That sounds wonderful, but right now my friends need our help. This way, friend Azers...

With Tuddle out of the way. Azers jump on Murkillor and Lady Elerina comes from behind to help.

Lady Elerina: Your name is known to me, Murkillor. We have heard of you at whiles. You troubled Middle Earth during the War of the Ring and we thought you were destroyed. May you rest again in peace and trouble us no more for another Age.

And so, with Murkillor banished, all the other forces of evil retreated.

A new alliance was formed with Men, Elves, and Azers!

But what of the Hobbits?

Kipper the Squire learns of Poppy's fall and searches frantically for her.

Tuddle: What was this all for, Mortimer?  This lousy clue isnt worth the loss of Poppy.

Mortimer: Maybe not. But even so, what does the clue say?

Tuddle: ---

Squire Kipper takes some of Poppy's remaining herbs and puts them into her mouth. Then he grabs her jaw and makes her chew them down. And...

Poppy: Woah, did you just resurrect me with my own herbs?

Kipper: Yeah, I guess I did. Maybe Im going to learn herbology now...

Cosette: Physician, heal thyself... Glad your back, Hobbit.

Anais: I should have been guarding my Lady. Ive been remiss!

Lady Elerina: Nonsense! You did the important thing and held the frontline for the Fellowship. Anyway, I had help from Sir Haystacks. Rivendell owes you a blood debt.

Haystacks:  I am no "Sir" mi'lady. I am not a knight, just a fighting man of my country.

Lady Elerina: You do your country great honor...

She nods and then commands Haystacks to kneel before her.

Lady Elerina: I might be half-elven... but I am also half-human. And by the Conventions of the Great Alliance, I have the right to bestow honor to whomsoever I choose in Middle Earth. In the name of Sigmar, Asuryan, and all the hosts of the Valar, I give you the right to bear arms and the power to mete justice! Be brave, be just, and defend the innocent.

Haystacks: I pledge all that I still own. Muscle, bone, blood... and the heart that pumps it.

Lady Elerina: Arise, Sir Haystacks of Ringlo Vale, a Knight of the Seven Kingdoms

Mortimer the Brown and Lady Elerina: Hail, Azer from the Fiery Dimensions!

Azer Chief: Greetings, Wizard and Lady... *bows low*

Lady Elerina: Pardon me, Lord Azer, but do you know what has become of the Dwarves of Moria? Do any still live under the mountains?

Azer Chief: We do know that many Dwarf Kings and brave warriors went willingly into exile into the Void with Balin and Thorin at the end of the 3rd Age. And that they left a Dwarven presence here. But what became of that colony? No one has heard from them for many a year. And our own Teleport/Gate powers will not reach under mountain or into the Void. They did pre-pay us in full to watch over the Dwarven Tombs here in Redhorn Pass, but even so... we would also like to know what became of them. Afterall, we are distant relatives of the Duardin of Middle Earth. Even if we are from another dimension.

Lady Elerina: If you wish, you may join us in our quest to enter Moria and seek any signs of the colony there. Perhaps in some rooms and tunnels there may yet be survivors in Khazad-Dum. We seek to find your kin, if they yet live. Will you help us? *the Azer nods affirmatively* Good and splendid! And Mortimer... what was the business with the Statue?

Mortimer the Brown: So the Clue that was found at the Statue was a post-it note that reads "Gooble, gobble, one of us."

Lady Elerina: I wonder what it means

Mortimer the Brown: Not sure, but I believe its from a black and white movie before my time. And I dont have Turner Movie Channel at home. But it is the password to enter Moria! Now all we have to do... is wait for night to fall and find the doors that glow in starlight and moonlight..."

And finally we have a pic of the warmaster general who commanded the outstanding victory for the Forces of Good and Order. He knows the answer to "what is good in life?" And just like the new pass to enter Moria, the same goes to Mr Joe P. "Gooble, gobble, one of us, one of us..." Mr Joe P is officially in the Moria Reclamation Blog now... by order of the Grand Poobah of The Barazinbar Lodge, Dimril Stair Chapter 777 *waves hands with masonic Crip/Blood/Triad handsigns*

And the dice gods were mostly there for him this game. I thought this scenario was going to be a Total Party Kill, but only one Azer fell and he didnt really die - just got deported . And Poppy, but she didnt die either. At the end of the game, I let him roll a d6 and on a 4+, Poppy wasnt dead just knocked unconscious. So.. this was a Total Party Victory!  How many of those do we see on this blog. Especially on this blog, where doom resides around every corner... no, thats not it. I forgot the leitmotif of my own blog. Oh its: Certain Doom And Most Probable Woe. Might have to change that with the way things are shaping up around here. Maybe its Certain Dum (as in Khazad-Dum) and Most Probable Whoa...

But this victory wasnt all about luck and good die rolls... It was good old fashioned strategy and paying attention to the clues. Joe didnt fall for the temptation of looting the mausoleums. And there were some tasty magic items to be looted! One was a Runefang weapon that negates enemy Saves. And the other was a Scepter of Inferno Wall that could lay down a wall of fire that lasts for a game. Ah, but the friendship of new allies is worth more than mere treasure.

And while Haystacks was knighted by Lady Elerina. I cant help but feel Kipper the Squire needed a promotion too.

So what happens next? Well before we enter Moria, there are even more new figures to showcase.

Next post will have some sculpts from Paul Hicks and Boris Woloszyn.

Cheers,

Mar

PS... What songs were played during this game session?  Mostly some fine instrumental tunes from The Dungeon Synth Archive on Youtubes. But when battle action picked up, I switched the jukebox over to some modern prog with... Scale The Summit & Animals as Leaders. After the game, some "Faith Healer" from the Sensational Alex Harvey Band was played in honor of Poppy.

Taken from full post here: https://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2021/10/the-battle-of-redhorn-pass-caradhras_19.html

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
Re: Oldhammer In Moria: AAR Battle of Redhorn Pass, Part 2
« Reply #459 on: October 20, 2021, 12:55:58 AM »
Nice  :)

That brightened up my night shift tea-break !

Look forward to your next post as always

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
« Reply #460 on: October 20, 2021, 02:13:55 AM »
@Tactalvanic,
Ah, thats on my resume somewhere... tea break entertainer. Thank you, thank you... Im here all week. For my next act, we got spinning plates on sticks while... hula hooping!

• Scientist
« Reply #461 on: October 20, 2021, 05:17:49 PM »
No, that wasn't a tear in my eye as Haystacks became Sir Haystacks...just some floating cat litter dust...

A Freaks movie reference, eh? Pulling out all the stops!

Glad to see Poppy pull through. And really cool to see Murkillor pop up again...hopefully we won't have to wait until the Third Age of your blog to see him in action once more!

Thanks for the heads up on the music you played...I'll check it out!

Reagrding the Braunstein, there is still a small community dedicated to playing those games. I think the nominal leader is Jeff Berry, who played with M.A.R. Barker of Empire of the Petal Throne fame, as well as with Arneson and Gygax. He runs a blog that has a lot of his gaming and crafting projects. I'll track it down and post a link here or on your blog.

Man...I just realized Professor Barker's initials spell out your name...the coincidences around Moria Reclamation are seeping out into reality...   

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
« Reply #462 on: October 20, 2021, 11:35:26 PM »
@Mister Frau Blucher,
I getcha , buddy. Maybe I didnt shed a tear writing that part of Haystacks knighthood, but I did get some feels.
Lol, I just had a thought. Maybe for men... the ceremony of being knighted is similar to the ritual of marriage for women.
In one you live for others in a general sense, and in the other you live for just for that one other person.
I guess thats the difference between men and women...? Women cry in marriages, but men cry in military ceremonies.
I get that part in Saving Private Ryan where the old Ryan cried when he saw all those graves in the Normandy Cemetery.
Even before that movie, I was on family vacation in Europe and had a lump in my throat when I saw that Memorial.
Oh, just recently I welled up in tears a couple months ago when I visited the WW2 memorial in DC across from the Lincoln Memorial.
On the Pacific side, they had the engraving for the Philippines and specifically for Bataan where my grandfather fought alongside the US.
Yup, I had the sniffles, might have been the high pollen count though...
I think Lucas was on to something with the Jedi philosophy about love.
Jedi are encouraged to love all life, but attachment to one leads ultimately to the dark side!
Lol, not sure if thats my take on romantic love.
Oh wait, that was also Lancelots take too in Excalibur!  Guenevere asked him if he had a lady and he said he was devoted to the quest.
Ultimately, Lancelot was a fallen Jedi, the Anakin Skywalker of the Round Table. Liam Neeson aka Gawain was right!
Oh damn, I should have saved all that for the blog fluff...
And Im rambling again...

Oh and I like MAR Barker and Tekumel. I also like Johnny Marr guitarist for the Smiths, Morrissey not so much, but Marr and that bassist were the bomb - specifically louder than the bomb. ;p  Oof a terrible Smiths album reference.
Need to save these for the fluff...

• Scientist
« Reply #463 on: October 22, 2021, 01:52:35 PM »
Since you live in Virginia, now, maybe some day you can check out the D-Day Memorial in Bedford. Took my breath away when I went 10 years ago or so. 

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
« Reply #464 on: October 24, 2021, 04:21:11 AM »
@Mister Frau Blucher,
I will check that out, if I ever venture out that way.
And I forget that your are a fellow Virginian, if you ever come up to NoVa, you are welcome to have a game with me in my humble abode.
Perhaps we could do a cross-over event where your Greywater Chronicles personalities are teleported for a one-shot adventure in my Moria campaign.
Kinda like an Avengers level event, but in fantasy wargame form.
I'd have to think of a good scenario for that.
Let me know, eh?

Cheers,
Mar