Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:42:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690652
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Oldhammer In Moria: Tempt not the Valar, You Proud Hobbit!  (Read 130345 times)

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
Oldhammer In Moria: Azrogorgon and Friends
« Reply #495 on: March 25, 2022, 02:54:39 PM »
Taken from: https://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2022/03/azrogorgon-and-friends.html

Here is a nice little warband of villains. They are Reaper minis and are mostly sculpted by Bob Olley. The Graveknight (Deathknight) is I think a Tim Prow figure. I absolutely adore Bob Olley sculpts whether they are 80s Oldhammer minis and even to Reaper minis. And same goes for Tim Prow! Which reminds me I need to get some Diehard minis for this blog. I plan to add Diehard minis and Knightmare minis to my collection of Darksword, Westfalia, and Reaper minis. Oh and there is only a small catalog for Monkstone minis but I think I need everything there. Lastly, I had my last installment of Dwarven Forge Wildlands -  Heart of the  Swamp. And that completes my 3 biomes of Forest, Mountain, and Swamp.

Anyway, on to some the pics!

Here is Azrogorgon, Demon Lord of Beasts. He has two colorful monkey heads that always talk to each other, which means Azro is never lonely - he can always find someone to argue with! In his sparetime, he is the sports commentator for the Infernal League of Blood Bowl in East Mordor.

Monkey Head #1: I picked up this shiv.
Monkey Head #2: With your bare hands? Oh... I mean tentacle.
Monkey Head #1: I did.
Monkey Head #2: From where?
Monkey Head #1: It was on the floor back there in the dark.
Monkey Head #2: Are you shiving me?
Monkey Head #1: Huh?
Monkey Head #2: You took a shiv in the dark?
Monkey Head #1: I did.
Monkey Head #2: Oh for shiv's sake. Where the shiv is it?
Monkey Head #1: Hmmm, I lost my shiv.
Monkey Head #2: How many times have you lost your shiv? Your shiv's all over the place.
Monkey Head #1: Meh, I couldnt give two shivs.
Monkey Head #2: -.-

And here is Toby the Necromancer and Vorlock the Death Knight.

Toby the Necromancer: Look over there. Is that Azrogorgon? He said we should meet here in the Dead Marshes.

Vorlock the Death Knight: No, I think thats Balrodius his brother - the Demon Lord of Destruction. Who happens to be on his way to Moria... again. I thought we "bad guys" were supposed to be on the down low. I mean Mordor is already on probation.

Toby the Necromancer: Too late, I heard Gondor has already put us on double secret probation!

Vorlock the Death Knight: Double secret probation, sir?

Toby the Necromancer: There is a litle known codicil in the White Tower constitution which gives the head wizard unlimited power to preserve order in times of emergency.

Vorlock the Death Knight: You mean Minas Tirith will put their foot down?

Toby the Necromancer: Yup, I heard that foot will either be the Fellowship Reborn, or the Rogues of Rhun, or the Sisters of Mercyful Fate. Though I hear they got a new team - the Guardians of Gondor. I mean how many adventuring teams do you really need, amirite? Ay any rate, as soon as the unseen chronicler of this blog figures it all out, Im sure we will get the memo.

Here we have Vourgha the Night Ogre and Phanto the Planar Psionic Monk. Vourgha is a rare blue Ogre. They were magically bred and engineered by the Night Hags of Carn Dum. Phanto come from the Astral Sea and is from the race known as the Gith who were also enslaved by the Mind Flayers. After millenia of slavery, some Gith rebelled and gained Psionic powers and renamed themselves from Gith to Sith.

Phanto the Planar Psionic Monk: At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi! At last we will have our revenge!

Vourgha the Night Ogre: Gruuuu....?

Phanto the Planar Psionic Monk: Sure thing buddy, I think there is time to grab some burgers before the meet with Azrogorgon.

Vourgha the Night Ogre: Garrrr!!!

Phanto the Planar Psionic Monk: (pats the Night Ogre on his shoulder) Anytime, buddy!

And here we have the group shot of our little band of banditos.

Azrogorgon, Head #1: For Narnia!
Azrogorgon, Head #2: Unleash the Kraken!

Toby the Necromancer: You're a demogorgon, sir.

Vorlock the Death Knight: Yeah! Look out Middle Earth, we are going to crush some skulls!

Phanto the Planar Psionic Monk: Crushing skulls is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

Vourgha the Night Ogre: Gruuuu....?

---

Good beans. The next hero team has been teased by Toby the Necromancer. The Guardians of Gondor. Yup another party of heroes in the getting crowded space in our mishmash campaign world. But they will be necessary, I guarantee. The next few battle reports are potential total party kills. Or so I keep thinking...

Cheers,

Mar

Online LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
Re: Oldhammer In Moria: Azrogorgon and Friends
« Reply #496 on: March 31, 2022, 11:52:06 AM »
What a horror is that monkey-faced octopus! :o

Is Azrogorgon the same guy as Asmogorgon?
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #497 on: March 31, 2022, 11:56:20 AM »
A classic D&D style Demogorgon! What a thing of beauty and what a great job you've done, giving it the mandrill-style blue & red nose.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #498 on: April 01, 2022, 03:53:00 AM »
So who sells those stone harpies (seated winged female figures)?  Thanks.

Dan

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
« Reply #499 on: April 01, 2022, 08:38:44 PM »
Hiya Buddies...

@Lord Odo, Yeah I made a typo, but I think Azrogorgon sounds better anyway. So thats his new name! What do you think? Oh and I like "monkey-faced octopus". I need to use that somewhere on the blog.

@Cubs, Thanks, buddy! And yes, its hard to believe that Mandrills are real life animals and not made up.  All primates amuse me, but mandrills take the cake. They are pretty cool beasties.

@Cacique Caribe, Had to look back and see if I had harpies on the blog. But yes, I suppose they could be harpies. I got them in the latest Dwarven Forge offering. Comes with the Mountain wildlands biome. I was thinking that in my campaign, they will be like "The Watchers of Cirith Ungol".  Mordor home security motion detectors. Im sure their eyes light up and then they emit a shrieking sound.

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
Taken from post here: https://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2022/04/the-guardians-of-gondor-more-darksword.html

The Guardians of Gondor - More Darksword Minis by Tom Meier!

Here is yet another hero party, preparing to go gallivanting in our version of Middle Earth. They are Tom Meier sculpts from Darksword Miniatures - wonderful characterful sculpts, as usual from Darksword and Mr Meier. As far as the blog fluff goes, they are a new party of adventurers called The Guardians of Gondor. And no, there is no talking tree or rodent or green people here (though in our campaign world; Ents are talking trees, Skaven are talking rodents, and Orcs and Gobbos and Squigs evolved from alien spores from outer space). Being a new team they are still practicing delving in a low-level area to hone their underground dungeoneering skills. Oh, and look at my new backdrop that I made for cavern areas. I think it goes well with my Dwarven Forge mountain terrain.

Here is Adeline the torch bearer, Prince Arioch of the Grey Haven Sea Elves, and Mordecai the butler (and on his base is Trinny the familiar!)

Adeline: I think we might have made a wrong turn.

Prince Arioch: *brushing dirt from his cape* We did. As soon as we entered this dismal cave. Elves do not appreciate having to walk under the earth.

Mordecai: Dont worry there, Prince Arioch. We are almost at the exit of these Caves of Aglarond. Master Balthazar assures me that this is good training for our newly formed team. It will prepare us for our future adventures in Moria, Gundabad, or Cirith Ungol.

Trinny: Mieh! Eyeh. Waaaeh. Mie gie gie mie blup blup, weh. worgah, mieh!

Here is Lenore the Valkyrie, Karnov the Barbarian, and Malekith the Dark Paladin.

Lenore the Valkyrie: This is such a trash mob low-level dungeon. Its beneath us to be here.

Karnov the Barbarian: I agree. Nothing worthy to behead here, but I hear we might be relocating soon. Somewhere dangerous and dark. I also hear there are older and fouler things than Orcs, in the deep places of the world.

Malekith: They shall all drown in lakes of blood! Now they will know why they are afraid of the dark. Now they learn why they fear the night.

Lenore the Valkyrie: *whispering to Karnov* Poor Malekith... He isnt all up there, is he? His parents were murdered by Orcs. Now he has made himself vengeance personified.

Malekith: *monologue to future Orc adversaries* You think darkness is your ally. You've merely adapted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man and by then it was only blinding.

Here is McGirk the sellsword, and Balthazar the blue wizard.

McGirk: Sir, I think we got lost in our own practice dungeon! We have to camp here for a bit and rest. Hopefully some of the other members of the team find us.

Balthazar the Blue: Hey kid, you sleep up there in the ruin. Im getting old, fixing to die at any time. If I kick off in the middle of the night... youre on your own.

McGirk: -.-

Balthazar and his butler Mordecai. (And his familiar Trinny!)

Balthazar the Blue: Ahh... Mordecai! And Trinny! Ive been waiting for you to find us. It was a test to see if your dungeon navigation skills are up to snuff.

Mordecai: Very good, sir. I think the team is as ready as they are going to get. Has the White Tower given any hint about where our first quest will take us?

Balthazar the Blue: There is alot of chatter. Cultists in Eryn Vorn, unruly Trolls in Rhudaur, White Walkers at Craster's Keep. Oh there is a real exotic quest in Hippopotamia.

Mordecai: Did you say Mesopotamia?

Balthazar the Blue: No, Hippo. Hippopotamia. Land of the Hippo-men. Its 800 miles north by southeast.

Mordecai: How do we get there?

Balthazar the Blue: Well, first you gotta...
"Ride ride ride ride
Ride the tiger
down the river
Euphrates
Dead sea make it float
One sip from the salty wine
Dead sea make you choke
Ride ride ride ride
Ride the tiger"

Closeup of Trinny the dire penguin familiar!
For Trinny audio sounds go here:

~~~

Ahh, a nice Pixies reference on the blog. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy. And yes, Hippopotamia is going to be a destination here on the blog! Silliness, you say? For shame, sirs and madames! Hippos are nothing to be laughed/sneeezed at.

So, there you have it. New meat to go through the meat grinder. And yes I expect there will be blood this weekend. One of two, or perhaps both battle reports will decide the futures of Istriya and friends. But also Tuddles and Shrub Beard and friends. Carnage and mayhem battle reports are coming in the next couple of days! Its like D-Day for this blog.  I will see you on the beach!

Cheers,

Mar

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
Oldhammer In Moria: Battle Of Noctzehrerberg Abbey Part 1
« Reply #501 on: April 05, 2022, 03:31:31 AM »
Taken from post here: https://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2022/04/the-battle-of-noctzehrerberg-abbey-part.html

The Battle Of Noctzehrerberg Abbey Part 1

At long last, the post is here where we continue the adventures of Istriya, Aly, Alice, and Zorelle. And of course, Cosmo the Screamer of Tzeentch and Blossom the Dryad. But also Sister Trinity and Pomona. Mr Joe P. is the hero player for this game while I play the monsters in this wargame-RPG-lite hybrid scenario.

Without further ado, lets get right to the story.

In a forest in the province of Sylvania, a band of mercenaries (mercenarettes? female adventurers for hire) await the delegates from the White Tower...

Left to Right: Aly the Elf, Istriya the Witch, Zorelle of Minas Tirith, and Mad Alice of Lake Town.

Istriya: Where did Kyra say she was going to vacation?

Zorelle: Well, she did say that after working long hours at Gringotts for decades she needed to chill someplace that served pina coladas.

Istriya: There is a Rainforest Smoothie Joint in East Osgiliath thats pretty good. But the view isnt all that good, I mean Minas Ithil is right across the river.

Zorelle: No, I think Kyra wants an exotic view to go with her drink. I believe she said she wanted to see the Bay of Belfalas. Its swan season. Anyway, we are on are own for this mission. Aly are you still moping back there?

Istriya: Yup. She is pining over her lost pet Cosmo, again. This time he ran after a speeding jackalope. They were last seen heading north along the Anduin.

Aly: *sighs* Its not supposed to be this way. I raised Cosmo since he was a tadpole.

Zorelle: Hey. Shake it off. Rub some dirt on it. We're all in strung out shape, but stay frosty. I want this thing to go smooth and by the numbers! These Sisters of Sigmar that are coming will be accompanying us on for quest.

Left to Right: Istriya, Alice, Sister Trinity

Sister Trinity: Good Morr to you. (Editor: Morr = god of death, also worshipped in the Empire)

Alice: *raises hand* Is this going to be a  stand-up fight or a bughunt?

Sister Trinity: All we know is there is still no contact with the first team that was sent to investigate, and that a xenomorph may be involved.

Istriya: Its a bughunt. I hope. I got some spells for an Ankheg Motel. They check in, but they dont check out!

Sister Pomona: *notices the moody she-elf* Whats up, buddy?

Aly: I have no purpose. Im just a pet owner. The world is full of pet owners.

Sister Pomona: If you love someone, set them free. A wise Harkonnen said that once.

And off go our heroes. As the heroes reach the village nearest to the Abbey, they find the villagers hesitant to talk about the cursed Abbey which they claim has been a place of evil where cultists gather and perform dark rituals. Sister Trinity think the villagers themselves are possibly the cultists and tells the heroes not to trust them and to stay alert. None of the villagers will guide them to the site but they point the heroes in the direction of the ruins of the Abbey.

Again to recap, here is the Scenario Summary:

Summary
Recently a Gondorian special task force was sent to the ruins of the Abbey of Noctzehrerberg in the province of Sylvania. They have gone missing and havent been heard from for over a month. That team was sent to investigate disturbing rumors of cult activity in that area. The heroes are now tasked to discover the fate of the missing team. The Sisters of Sigmar send Sister Trinity and her apprentice Pomona to accompany the heroes. As the heroes reach the village nearest to the Abbey, they find the villagers hesitant to talk about the cursed Abbey which they claim has been a place of evil where cultists gather and perform dark rituals. Sister Trinity think the villagers themselves are the cultists and tells the heroes not to trust them. They find a hermit who lives at the edge of the village who points the heroes in the direction of the ruins of the Abbey.

Board Setup
Table size is 22" x 30". Place an altar touching a 22" edge at its center. Place a menhir (standing stone) in the center of the game board. Place a treasure chest 8" away from the altar in the direction of the menhir. Around the board are some 6" clusters of terrain - ruins, trees, and rocks. Each player takes turns placing down 1 such area each. No cluster of terrain can be in 2" of other terrain.

Deployment
The heroes (4 heroes and Blossom the Dryad) and the 2 Sisters of Sigmar deploy on the 22" edge furthest away from the altar. Nothing else is on the board at the start of the game.

Reinforcements
See DM Only info.

Special Rules
See DM Only info.

Victory Conditions
See DM Only info.

The girls have divided into two teams. Aly, Zorelle, and Alice take the southern route to the abbey. Aly is on point. She takes the high ground are surveys the area ahead.

Zorelle: Alice, do you think those villagers are part of this cult? Maybe they have something to do with the missing Gondorian Team.

Mad Alice: I dont know, but the Abbey of Noctzehrerberg is just up ahead.

Istriya's team reaches the menhir (standing stone). It is covered in a language that none of the heroes or Sisters of Sigmar can understand. Istriya can search the stone further. She does and it springs some sort of magical trap that sends a shimmer of energy up into the air with a hum.

Istriya: Oh for shame!

Sister Pomona: I wonder what that did?

(Editor: The hero player was asked if they wanted to search the location further. And the trap was sprung. A silent alarm was set off and now d6 Ghosts will appear from a random direction every turn.)

Sister Trinity and Pomona next come upon a treasure chest. Inside the treasure chest is a book entitled "The Cold Ruinous Murder Of E.R.". Sister Trinity is the only one present who can translate the ancient language the book is written in. The book is a series of incantations. If Sister Trinity can study the book for 6 turns without being interrupted she can nullify the powerful magic that surrounds the area.

Pomona decides she will search the treasure chest further. A poison trap is sprung. Pomona is poisoned!

Meanwhile, Zorelle, Aly and Alice get to the standing stone.

Alice: Boss, we're not alone. *points at Ghosts* They are here.

Zorelle: Those things are fast. And ethereal. Terrain doesnt slow them down. Lets hold them off and buy time for Istriya to figure things out at the Abbey.~

Istriya and Blossom head into the ruins of the Abbey. Sister Trinity and Pomona follow. Pomona feels feverish.

Istriya gets to the upper level of the Abbey.

Istriya: This is a good spot to defend. *sees graffiti on the wall* It says "Frank was here..." I wonder if Frank was part of the missing team?

Blossom the Dryad: We are so high. I think I can see my house from here!

Pomona collapses from the poison and is knocked out of the game. Trinity heads upstairs so she can begin studying the book.

Ghosts attack the the Abbey! Istriya is wounded, but she fires back with a bolt of Lightning. And Blossom uses herself as a focal point to summon the Fury of the Forest which batters a Ghost off the wall.

Istriya: You Ghosts think you can come into Frank's place?

Blossom: This is Frank's place. Stay out of Frank's place. Dont ever come into Frank's place again!

Next post: Part 2 of the Battle of Noctzehrerberg Abbey.

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
Oldhammer In Moria: Battle Of Noctzehrerberg Abbey Part 2 & 3
« Reply #502 on: April 05, 2022, 04:55:42 PM »
Taken from the posts here: http://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2022/04/the-battle-of-noctzehrerberg-abbey-part_4.html
And here: http://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2022/04/the-battle-of-noctzehrerberg-abbey-part_27.html

For the conclusion to the Battle of Noctzehrerberg see the two posts above.
Here are teaser pics of the action...

The Defense of the Abbey

The Army of Darkness

~~~

In the next couple of days I will play another solo game with Tuddles and Poppy and the rest of the Fellowship.

Cheers,
Mar

Online LordOdo

• Mastermind
Re: Oldhammer In Moria: Battle Of Noctzehrerberg Abbey Part 2 & 3
« Reply #503 on: April 06, 2022, 11:55:49 AM »
Great game! Didn't see that twist with Trinity coming at all!

Those new backdrops are reallly good, very atmospheric  :)

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
Oldhammer In Moria: New Painted Backdrops & Fluff
« Reply #504 on: April 08, 2022, 11:42:58 PM »
@LordOdo, Neither did Mr Bibliophile who played the game. But he did good. None of the main characters died.

Taken from: http://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2022/04/inter-team-socializing-new-backdrops.html

Inter-Team Socializing & New Backdrops for Photoshoots

Got some new backdrops that are printed and stretched over a canvas frame. I thought I would take a few test pics to try them out. And put out a little more character fluff for the blog.

Left to Right: Mortimer the Brown, Balthazar the Blue

A meeting of Istari Wizards. They are old chums from Hogwarts days, and now they lead adventuring teams into high conflict zones around Middle Earth. Mortimer is from the Fellowship Reborn. Balthazar is from the Guardians of Gondor.

Mortimer the Brown: Hail, Mortimer...

Balthazar the Blue: Actually, I thought it would be partly cloudy with a chance of an afternoon drizzle, myself. But what do I know. I failed my meteorologicomancy classes, back in the day, if you remember.

Mortimer the Brown: *looks unfazed* Hello, Mortimer. Have you assembled your new team? I heard you conscripted Malekith the Anti-Paladin. Is that wise?

Balthazar the Blue: Oh we just finished dungeon training. They will be adequate for low to mid level jobs, I think. And the Anti-Pally is no problem. I got Karnov the Barbarian to keep him in check.

Mortimer the Brown: Karnov? Of the line of Canor the Barbarous? Thats good. How did you manage to get him to join up?

Balthazar the Blue: I got a valkyrie from Rohan on the team. Thats how. How goes it with your team? Next gig is up in Moria, eh? That place is a meatgrinder...

Mortimer the Brown: I got a bad feeling about this one, all right. I mean, I got a bad feeling. I dont think Im gonna make it out of there. I was just telling Poppy the other day who found a strange shiv on the ground... Y'all take a good look at this shiv. Remember what it looks like. You fudge up in a firefight... and I goddamn guarantee you a trip out of the bush - in a body bag!

Balthazar the Blue: Everybody got to die sometime, Red. I got no fight with any man who does what he's told, but when he don't, the machine breaks down. And when the machine breaks down, we break down.

Left to Right: Kipper the Squire, Malekith the Anti-Paladin, Sir Solaire Knight of the Blazing Sun

Three strangers from three teams. Kipper is from the Fellowship Reborn. Malekith is from the Guardians of Gondor. And Solaire is from the Rogues of Rhun.

Kipper the Squire: *looks nervously at the Anti-Paladin* Hi...  um, my name is Kipper. These inter-team meetups are pretty cool eh?

Malekith the Anti-Paladin: Oh, you look nervous. Is it the scars? Wanna know how I got 'em? So, I stick a razor in my mouth and do this... to myself. And you know what? I can't stand the sight of me! Now I see the funny side. Now, I'm always smiling!

Sir Solaire Knight of the Blazing Sun: Huh. I feel like the Sun is always smiling when it shines in the sky. So happy and warming. Gosh darn it, I'll just come right out and say it... Praise the Sun!

~~~

So those are the test pics and I think they look good.

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
Oldhammer In Moria: Beastmen from Knightmare Minis. Dont Fence Them In!
« Reply #505 on: April 13, 2022, 12:44:55 AM »
Taken from post here: http://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2022/04/beastmen-from-knightmare-miniatures.html

Beastmen from Knightmare Miniatures

Animals are such agreeable friends—they ask no questions; they pass no criticisms. - George Elliot

Are you gonna bark all day, little doggie, or are you gonna bite? - Mr Blonde

Oh, give me land, lots of land under starry skies above,
Don't fence me in.
Let me ride through the wide open country that I love,
Don't fence me in.
Let me be by myself in the evenin' breeze,
And listen to the murmur of the cottonwood trees,
Send me off forever but I ask you please,
Don't fence me in.

~~~

On this post we got some Beastmen from Knightmare Miniatures, a company from Spain that produces some fine retro inspired miniatures with that 80s aesthetic that should please any Oldhammer fan. Unto some pics and some fluff...

Here is the group shot of our band of savage beasties! Despite their claws, fangs and tails... they are cute arent they? All they really want is a good belly rub, a scritch behind the ear, and a little boop to the snoot.

Left to Right: Bazza, Dr. Morostro, Sleeslak

Bazza is a batman, but not "the" Batman.. Dr Morostro is the Law Say-er of the warband and was once human but used alchemical potions to turn himself into a beastman to be with the animals whose rights he championed all his life. Sleeslak would in time, become the ancestor of a race of reptillians in a land of the lost.

Dr. Morostro: Not to go on all-Fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?

Sleeslak: Marshall, Will, and Holly
On a routine expedition
Met the greatest earthquake ever known.
High on the rapids
It struck their tiny raft.
And plunged them down a thousand feet below.
To the Land of the Lost.

Dr. Morostro: Am I a doctor? Im more of a vet.

Bazza: Ping, ping, ping... ping.

Sleeslak: Buddy, your sonar is sounding.

Left to Right: Jamper, Hondo, Codo

Jamper is a spiderman, but not "the" Spider-Man. Hondo the Hound is the right-hand man errr. I mean hound of Dr Morostro. Codo is a croco-gator.

Codo: Every other day I got a gator on my lawn
Well you dropped your groceries in the kitchen sink
Went to work and made the bathroom stink, come on, come on
Every other day I got a gator on my lawn

Hondo: Instinct and reason... what is reason to a dog? To hunt. To kill. To run with the pack. Awwwoooo....

Left to Right: Walro, Simi, Drax

Walro: Sitting on a corn flake, waiting for the van to come. Corporation t-shirt, stupid bloody Tuesday. Man you've been a naughty boy, you let your face grow long. I am the egg man, They are the egg men. I am the Walrus. Goo goo g'joob!

Simi: I think I'm so educated and I'm so civilized
'Cause I'm a strict vegetarian
But with the over-population and inflation and starvation
And the crazy politicians
I don't feel safe in this world no more
I don't want to die in a nuclear war
I want to sail away to a distant shore and make like an apeman
I'm an apeman, I'm an ape, apeman, oh I'm an apeman
I'm a King Kong man, I'm a voodoo man, oh I'm an apeman
'Cause compared to the sun that sits in the sky
Compared to the clouds as they roll by
Compared to the bugs and the spiders and flies I am an apeman

Drax: Are we in a musical? Why are we all singing?

Simi: Tell me, humans. Why you make the pain, if we are your children.

~~~

So there is another villain warband for our heroes to fight. But I dont know... I almost dont want them to fight our heroes now. They got good songs... Kinks, Tom Petty, Beatles, and that version of "Dont Fence Me In" will be David Byrne's off of the Red Hot & Blue compilation, thank you very much. And if you dont know it, for shame! Listen to it here:

But seriously, I dont think I can fight them now that I gave them a little fluff. :p

Cheers,
Mar

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
Oldhammer In Moria: Chaos Warriors from Knightmare Minis, Over the Wall
« Reply #506 on: April 26, 2022, 02:11:17 AM »
From post here: https://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2022/04/chaos-warriors-from-knightmare-minis.html

Chaos Warriors from Knightmare Minis

Ladies and gentlemen may I present, for your intellectual and philosophical pleasure... Chaos Warriors from Knightmare Miniatures. More fine modern sculpts that have that Oldhammer aesthetic. I like having a Chaos warband that has worshippers across the wide spectrum of the Chaos Pantheon. It brings the chaos to the Chaos part of their name.

For my campaign world, this particular warband is known as the Frostfang Ravagers. To the north of Angmar, beyond the Wall, past Craster's Keep in the Haunted Forest and even beyond the Fist of the First Men... there lies the Frostfang Mountains - home of many warbands of vicious and wicked Chaos Warriors. It is said strange structures rise in the horizon in the Lands of Always Winter. Who knows who built them and to what purpose. Some say the Giants from the skies of Old Night came down inside those things. Who knows? Even the Chaos Warriors do not speak of it! But something stirs in the North and has caused the Chaos Warriors to migrate south. The first to arrive in the lands below the Wall are these Frostfang Ravagers led by Lord Mysterion, Champion of Change. And his second in command - Lord Obsuro, Champion of War. Here they are climbing over the Wall, looking at which lands to pillage and raze in the name of their dark gods.

Left to Right: Lord Mysterion and a Chaos Warrior

Lord Mysterion is frightful and beastly in both close combat and in casting spells. His head has mutated into a miniature version of a Dark Young of Shub-Niggurath with eyes in every direction that can fire off spells much like an Eye Beast.

Lord Mysterion: I show up with a face full of tentacles and eyes. And people lose their shit. They think Im invincible. Who wouldnt use that to their advantage?

A pair of Chaos Warriors with various mutations: one has grasping tenctacles for an arm that can grab an anemy in place, and the other has a stretchy hand that can poke at an enemy from a distance.

The Gods of Chaos live up to their name. They are fickle and surprisingly chaotic. Those who worship them may become mighty champions with beneficial mutations, or they could become a mewing quivering puddle of gelatinous mass.

Left to Right: Lord Obscuro and a Chaos Warrior with a crab claw mutation.

Lord Obscuro might be second in command, but all the Warriors of the Warband trust him because he is "the man with the plan". If anyone can figure out the enemy weakness, it will be evident to Lord Obscuro - to whom nothing is hidden. He is the super detective of the group. He has the power to nullify an opponent's ability or spell.

Lord Obscuro: Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. It is my business to know what other people don't know.

These two Chaos Warriors also have benifical mutations. One has a claw that can pierce armor and the other has antler horns that he uses to charge into battle.

~~~

So there we have the reinforcements for the forces of Chaos - with these Warriors and the Beastmen from last post. Im sure they will wreak some havoc in the civilized lands below the Wall.

The next post will have more undead champions from Reaper...

Cheers,
Mar

Online LordOdo

• Mastermind
Oooh very Old School looking guys! You seem to have a certain talent for finding the perfect miniatures for your aesthetic!

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
Oldhammer In Moria: Dead Man's Party, Murkillor the Wraith Returns!
« Reply #508 on: May 18, 2022, 05:36:39 PM »
@LordOdo   Hmmm, but now that I think about it, I have strayed from the Oldhammer aesthetic since restarting this blog.  And Im not sure its a bad thing. I dont know if I have a consistency in my buying habits anymore. Whatever strikes my fancy, I guess.  Some Tom Meier heroes from Darksword, some Bob Olley undead from Reaper, some chaos from Knightmare, etc...

Dead Man's Party, Murkillor the Wraith Returns!

Taken from blog post here: https://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2022/05/dead-mans-party-murkillor-wraith-returns.html

Murkillor the Wraith is back, baby! And he's got a dead man's party with him. This is how the Undead want to unlive. So this is how they will unlife.

I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder
Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

Don't run away, it's only me
Don't be afraid of what you can't see

I was struck by lighting, walkin' down the street
I was hit by something last night in my sleep
It's a dead man's party, who could ask for more
Everybody's comin', leave your body at the door
Leave your body and soul at the door

Well I live with snakes and lizards
And other things that go bump in the night
'Cause to me everyday is Halloween
I have given up hiding and started to fight

Oh, why can't I live a life for me?
Why should I take the abuse that's served?
Why can't they see they're just like me?
It's the same, it's the same in the whole wide world

Left to Right: Nyxa the Basilisk, Murkillor the Wraith

Murkillor has been reborn into his former... form. No longer is he that ghastly plastic Night Haunt mini, he is once again a metal mini from the ever-enduring and readily-reliable Reaper Miniatures. I think this is the 3rd time Ive owned this figure over the years. I always thought it was a Bob Olley sculpt, but he is actually a Bob Ridolfi figure. And next to Murkillor is Nyxa - a beauty of a basilisk. This basilisk IS an Olley sculpt.

Murkillor: I told you I would be back. You cant keep a good wraith down.

Nyxa the Basilisk: Grrrr...

Left to Right: Calibog the Marsh Troll, Korbar the Liche

Calibog is a Marsh Troll and feeds on marsh fish. He likes his sushi fresh - raw and wriggling. Korbar the Liche is the right hand counsellor of Murkillor and helps to supply his armies with more undead troops by raising the dead wherever they go. Korbar loves it when they pass a cemetery. Mmmm, fresh victims for the ever growing army of the undead.

And here is a trio of Barrow Wights ready to haunt your neighborhood moor.

Wights may not be Wraith level threats. If Wraiths are generals, then Wights are more like lieutenants in the army of the undead.

Left to Right: Vourgha the Night Ogre, Calibog the Marsh Troll

Ogre and Troll buddies. Two pals having a little reunion.

Vourgha the Night Ogre: Gruuuu....

Calibog the Marsh Troll: Garrrr....

Left to Right: Toby the Necromancer, Korbar the Liche

Toby the Necromancer: So I ask this cultist if he is human, and he shakes his head and says negative Im a meat popsicle.

The Wights once had a world tour and passed by Rohan and met the locals. But found them to be less than enthusiastic.

Cosette the Paladin: Begone foul dwimmerlaiks!

Wight: Rohan is a nice place to visit, but I wouldnt want to live here. Or unlive here? You know what I mean!

Left to Right: Nyxa the Basilisk, Shrub Beard, Aly Greenleaf

A few years ago, Aly and Shrub Beard were traveling together in Rhun and came upon a basilisk...

Aly: Oh! Look Shrub Beard, its a basilisk! Hello sweetie! And what a nice lovely purple hue you got there!

Nyxa the Basilisk: Garrr....

Aly: Oh, and what a lovely row of sharp poisonous spikes you have across your back!

Nyxa the Basilisk: Garrr....

Shrub Beard: AhhhhhHooooommmmmRooooTuuuuuumm...(Entish to English translation: Aly, whatever you do, dont look into its eyes...)

Aly: _____

Shrub Beard: *sighs*

Nyxa the Basilisk: Hyuk, hyuk, hyuk...

~

So there is the latest installment of figures from Reaper. They are oldies but goodies. And its nice to have them back in my growing collection... again. Im busy commission painting at the moment. But on my spare time, I will work up some energy and have a battle report soon-ish.

Cheers,
Mar

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
Oldhammer In Moria: House of Red Dragons - Far Easterling Adventurers
« Reply #509 on: June 16, 2022, 08:56:32 PM »
Taken from blog post here: https://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2022/06/house-of-red-dragons-far-easterling.html

House of Red Dragons - Far Easterling Adventurers

Introducing yet another team of heroes to the blog - The House of Red Dragons. While the term Easterling has been used as a catch-all term for all nations beyond Mordor, these heroes are not Near Easterlings, but Far Easterlings! We know about the Wainriders, the Balchoth, and the warriors of Khand. But here we have distinguished characters from Cathay and Nippon. And they bring some exotic pets with them!

The House of Red Dragons is a delegation of Far Easterlings who have been sent on a diplomatic mission to make peace with the West in a post-Sauron world.

Left to Right: Lady Snow Blossom, Iron Dragon, Priest Asura

Lady Snow Blossom spent much of her early life training to wreak vengeance on those who wronged her family. Now that the venging is done and over, she seeks to spread goodness and peace in the world... even if she has to split some heads open to do it!

"When I arrive at my destination, I am gonna kill Bill." - Lady Snow Blossom

Iron Dragon is the leader of the group. He has become a folk hero, stealing dumplings and pork buns from villainous crime bosses to give to the less fortunate. The Emperor of Cathay has recognized Iron Dragon's deeds and given him the task of diplomacy with Gondor and Rohan. Iron Dragon will help bring peace to the human nations of Middle Earth. And at the same time, expand and promote his new pork bun and dumpling restaurant chain!

"Someday westerners will be able to buy Cathay food in Minas Tirith and in the Jade City easterlings will have hamburgers!" - Iron Dragon

Priest Asura used to hunt the renegade known as the Baby Cart Assassin. But he learned that Assassin and Son would never give up the sight of death. Now, Asura has also chosen to defy the Shogun. Then he realized this was the english dub version and the Shogun wasnt even the Shogun at all. Talk about lost in translation!

Left to Right: Kyubee the Kirin, Hachi the Foo Dog

So Kirins are the eastern equivalent of Unicorns? Though they might just be magical giraffes. One thing Unicorns and giraffes dont have is the Kirin's ability to incinerate things they dislike. Which makes the Kirin spicy hotness a level five star rating@!

Foo Dogs are also known as Temple Dogs or Guardian Dogs. Some are made of stone and others are made of metal. Their fierce countenance belies their happy nature. They are dogs after all! Taking a walk on a  nice sunny day, playing fetch with the monks, and guarding the local temple from Displacer Cats - thats a Foo Dogs life.

Lady Snow Blossom rescued Kyubee from a pack of Dracolisks and the two have been inseparable since. Lady Snow has never asked about Kyubee's past, but knows that Kyubee once trained girls to become magical girls for the purpose of hunting witches. Something about entropy? These plots become too convoluted for one to follow, eh?

Lady Snow Blossom: Kyubee... you arent hiding some nefarious plot from me, are you?

Kyubee: neigh....

Lady Snow Blossom: Not sure if that was a negative or just a neigh...   -.-

Hachi the Foo Dog: *playful growl*

Iron Dragon: Hachi!  I am busy trying to write my speech for our meeting with the Gondor and Rohan governments. Youre a Temple Dog, go play fetch with Priest Asura!

Hachi the Foo Dog: *whine*

Priest Asura is practicing the ancient art of making a Healing Shrine.

~~~

Will the House of Red Dragons be successful in their diplomatic mission? Stay tuned!

So there are the new additions to the blog. They are from Zenit miniatures out of Spain. They are 28mm realistic proportions. Which means they fit in perfectly with Perry miniatures, LOTR SBG, & Darksword. So all my human figures will have to fit in with that group. But monsters can be from any company I like.

Next post we got Bugbears to show off!

Cheers,
Mar