Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:24:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Oldhammer In Moria: Tempt not the Valar, You Proud Hobbit!  (Read 130584 times)

Offline Desert Scribe

• Assistant
    • Super Galactic Dreadnought
Re: Oldhammer In Moria: Battle of Knackerton Prison Camp
« Reply #540 on: January 13, 2023, 10:39:55 PM »
 Zoltar the Enchanter?

Are there some who call him ...

Tim?
Check out my blog: Super Galactic Dreadnought

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
« Reply #541 on: January 14, 2023, 02:39:10 AM »
@ Desert Scribe
Its true that he can summon up fire without flint or tinder and knows much that is hidden.
And indeed he also knows the last words of Ulfin Bedwetre of Rheged! Carved upon the living rock, mind you.

But Tim is actually Zoltar's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate. Possibly twice removed. Hard to tell with all these "moving backwards in time" wizards.

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #542 on: February 21, 2023, 09:52:34 AM »
Great story once again!

Sad to see Rattlebones go, but if that means there will be new heroes joining soon, I'm easy to forget!
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
Oldhammer In Moria: Battle of Carn Vorn
« Reply #543 on: April 24, 2023, 06:12:13 AM »
Taken from full post here: https://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2023/04/the-battle-of-carn-vorn-part-1.html

The Battle of Carn Vorn, Part 1

Hiya buddies, here is a battle report that took place earlier this year in February(?). Better late than even later, eh? 

With the recent disaster in Moria, the Cthulhic Invasion of Middle Earth had begun. (see Battle of Hollin Gate here: http://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2022/08/the-battle-of-hollin-gate-part-1.html) Mortimer the Brown's team took a beating and are recuperating and busily preparing the defenses of Rohan. So it is up to his fellow Istari Wizard, Balthazar the Blue to step up and investigate rumors of cultist activity in the forests of Carn Vorn. The last thing the nations of the West need are local sources of belligerents that the tentacled invaders can conscript from. Better to nip these pesky cultists before they become active insurgents...

The White Tower has sent the newest adventuring team to the forest of Carn Vorn in Minhiriath to investigate the disappearance of woodcutters in the area. Is it environmental cultists (terrorists) protesting against Rohan's unsatiated need for more and more natural resources? As the heroes enter the heart of the forest, they realize they are being hunted by forces unknown. Balthazar the Blue, leader of the expedition, decides to create a trap for the "predators". Who is the hunter and who the hunted?
The heroes: "There's something out there and it aint no man. I want a defensive position on this ridge, trapped with everything you got."
The villains: "You too can stop forest genocides!"

All 3 parts of the AAR are up on the blog and here are some pics...

For all 3 parts of the AAR: https://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2023/04/the-battle-of-carn-vorn-part-1.html

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
Re: Oldhammer In Moria: Battle of Carn Vorn
« Reply #544 on: April 24, 2023, 11:58:35 AM »
Seems like it was a great battle!

Offline Mister Frau Blucher

• Scientist
    • Swords Under Distant Suns
Re: Oldhammer In Moria: Battle of Carn Vorn
« Reply #545 on: April 26, 2023, 02:46:27 PM »
Glad to see more epic action from you, Mar! You've inspired a lot of gamers!

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
Oldhammer In Moria: Big Summer Update
« Reply #546 on: June 26, 2023, 11:44:13 PM »
From blog post here: https://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2023/06/big-summer-rock-hula-luau-painting.html

Big Summer Rock-A-Hula-Luau Painting Update Extravaganza

Summertime, and the livin's easy

Months of struggling to get some painting and blogging done has finally reached a breaking point. The past week or two, Ive been painting like there is no tomorrow. And here is a big paint update - of things I painted that wasnt a commission for someone else. More heroes, more villains. Lots of cuddly monsters looking for a good boop to the snoot.

Onwards to the pics...

*See blog for more pics and words and fluff*

Left to Right: Bulldog the Barbarian, Verbal the Archer

Two new heroes are looking for trouble in Middle Earth. Bulldog is the bruiser and Verbal is the sniper. Villains, beware. Make no mistake. It’s not revenge they're after. It’s a reckoning.

Left to Right: Assassin #1, Master Takeshi, Assassin #2

I think his Indian name is "Two Swords One Claw". Or it could be his rap name. Wu Tang, dont go against the grain if you cant handle it.

The Death Angel is ultra-violence personified.

So let it be written
So let it be done
To kill the first born Pharaoh son
I'm creeping death

Wyverns are misunderstood creatures they are. People run in fear from them but really all a Wyvern wants is a good belly rub.

And here we have a Nightmare and a Tzeentch-ian Lord of Change.

Yup, its a winged horse thats on fire. And a Skeksis.

When single shines the triple sun, what was sundered and undone, shall be whole, the two made one, by Gelfling hand, or else by none...

A Night Hag and a Marilith

Dont tell her shes hideous! Hell hath no fury like a Night Hag scorned. Marilith is a hottie and she knows it. She sure has a lot of flair - bangles and doodads and whatnot.

A Swamp Dragon and a Manticore.

Manticore extends his paw in friendship but Swamp Dragon leaves him hanging. Thats cold, buddy. Amity means friendship!

Displacer Cat and a Peryton.

A big cat with tentacles sprouting from its back. And a deer with wings and talons. What strange god or mad wizard created these strange critters? Well, I am happy they exist. Bio-diversity is our greatest strength!

~~~

So there you have it. Lots of new figures to play with. And in a few days another post with.... yet more painted figures! I told you the dam has burst and a deluge of painted goodness is sweeping the blog. And a battle will be played out over the weekend with some earth shaking consequences (Middle Earth shaking, well on my blog at least). Stay tuned, true believers!

Cheers,
Mar

*See blog for more pics and words and fluff*

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
Re: Oldhammer In Moria: Muskets Over Moria
« Reply #547 on: July 16, 2023, 02:14:16 AM »
From full post here: https://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2023/07/muskets-over-moria.html

Muskets Over Moria

Here in the 5th Age of Middle Earth, the old King Elessar (Aragorn) sits unmoving upon his Golden Throne in Minas Tirith. He hasnt spoken or responded for hundreds of years. Some say he is a living corpse-god. His mind, if it still exists, has shattered into a million fragments, some say. The priests proclaim in public that he still lives and is in the deepest of meditation. All of his will - focused on seeking out the Golden Path - the best greatest destiny for men, elves, and hobbits too! In the Chamber of the White Tower, the Illuminati - a council of wizards and generals formulate their plans and keep the Empire of Gondor functioning. It is by their command that heroes and armies are sent on missions around Middle Earth. Today, they have been called into an emergency council meeting. The fires of the Beacon Hills have been lit! Rohan calls for aid! This happened before, in another age, when it was Gondor who lit them to call for Rohan's aid. As they argue about what should be done, a powerful psychic command is heard sponataneously in everyone's mind. Not just in the chamber, but in the entire city! King Elessar sits unmoving upon his throne, but his mind has spoken and it says, "ROHAN CALLS FOR AID... AND GONDOR WILL ANSWER!"

Everywhere in the city, the people cry out, "King Aragorn lives! The King has spoken! We will ride forth in the name of this quest!"

~~~

Rohan is being invaded by Mythos creatures under the command of Nyarlathotep. So the industries of Gondor have been placed on wartime alert and this post shows what reinforcements have been made to the armies of the West...

The latest technological innovations are ready to be used in warfare. Blackpowder weapons have been manufactured in the forges of Nuln and troopers from Altdorf to Kings Landing, from Baldurs Gate to Belfalas have been trained in their use. Behold, the Imperial Guard Handgunners.

Their uniforms are stained with the colour of soot and the odour of phosphor. A mysterious fraternity born out of smoke and danger of death.

And here we have The Imperial Guard Dragoons! Mounted on their steeds (Slaaneshi steeds? Shhh.... dont tell the Inquisitors. These steeds have been broken in and are no longer in the service of those Dark Gods!)

Here we have a mounted commander leading his fusiliers with gusto.

And here is another new cavalry type from the city of Dol Amroth in Belfalas.

Are those... meat-eating... uh, meatasauruses? They show extreme intelligence, even problem-solving intelligence. Life always finds a way!

A Raptor Rider. Everything is better with dinos, right? The Valar create dinosaurs. The Valar destroy dinosaurs. The Valar creates man. Man destroys the Valar. Man creates dinosaurs. Dinosaurs eat man. Woman inherits Middle Earth!

And here he is leading his troop of spearmen - the Myrmidon Guard of Dol Amroth. Prepare for hedgehog formation! Hoo-ah!

So the Age of Pike and Shotte has come to the Moria Reclamation Project.

And just in time! The forces of Nyarlathotep the Crawling Chaos has spilled into the world from within the depths of Moria. Rohan is bearing the brunt of the invasion so far - its defenses are holding at Isenford for the moment. While Gondor's armies move to help secure Rohan defenses, the White Tower also sees an opportunity for a smaller force to go to Moria itself and cut the head off the tentacle, so to speak!

The astromancers of the White Tower have spotted a strange beacon high atop the peaks of Khazad Dum - at the highest peaks of Zirakzigil. The White Tower has decided to send an expedition to investigate it and determine if it is a threat or perhaps... an opportunity.

This mission promises to be a great first test of Gondor's new forces. A small army is chosen and provisioned. And to lead them...

Left to Right: Goldberry, Zoltar, Xanthia, Sir Solaire, Bulldog, Kano, Alpha, Verbal, Bortai, Stroika

To lead them, Goldberry and her team has been chosen for this mission...

Goldberry: Ok folks, listen up! We got a mission, and we have 2 new recruits with us...

Bulldog: We are hardly "new guys". Verbal here has killed more men than small pox. And I happen to know the Riddle of Steel...

Zoltar: Sorry buddy, rules are rules. Your still one of the new guys. No one cares about the new guys.  The unwritten rule is a new guy's life isn't worth as much 'cause he hasn't put his time in yet.

Goldberry: Anyway, heres new guys and we got a new mission in.... Zirakzigil? Some place in the boonies.

Zoltar: Hmmm, my Middle Earth geography and history is spotty, but isnt this the place where Gandalf killed the Balrog about 2 ages back? Something about smiting his ruin upon the mountain and whatnot? What if the Balrog isnt really dead? Just mostly dead? And if it IS dead, how do we know it will stay dead? Do those things even die?

Goldberry: IF Gandalf killed it properly, then it must be dead. Although... I suppose there must be a reason why the White Tower sent an army with us. Some great and terrible evil awaits us there.

Verbal: I dont want to meet a Balrog sized threat on my first outing with the team. But having an army with us is a little bit comforting, no? *looking around* Do you think we brought enough people?

Cheers,
Mar

For more pics and fluff see full post here: https://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2023/07/muskets-over-moria.html

« Last Edit: July 16, 2023, 02:17:13 AM by Mars Miniatures »

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
Oldhammer In Moria: Battle of Zirakzigil
« Reply #548 on: July 17, 2023, 02:27:53 AM »
Taken from full post here: http://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2023/07/the-battle-of-zirakzigil-part-1.html

The Battle of Zirakzigil

All 3 parts of the AAR are up on the blog.
Here are some pics of the action.

See the blog for more pics and words.

Cheers,
Mar

Offline Mister Frau Blucher

• Scientist
    • Swords Under Distant Suns
Re: Oldhammer In Moria: Battle of Zirakzigil
« Reply #549 on: July 17, 2023, 08:19:59 PM »
Butters must have some Secretariat blood coursing through the veins! And perhaps some Liberty Ale mixed in with the Bugman's! Turn around, Bright Eyes! Glad to see the good guys snatch victory from the jaws of a gug!

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
« Reply #550 on: July 17, 2023, 09:25:49 PM »
Thanks buddy-pal Frau,
Im not a race horse fan and had to google that, but yes, Butters is indeed the cream of the crop, winner of the cup, and never even spilled a drop!
Also slightly beffuddled how Miss Bonnie Tyler got into my narrative, and somewhat embarrassed. But maybe Butters likes that song. ;P
In real life, I was so certain the game would be a "total" TPK and was ready to embrace certain doom.
But yet again, Mr Joe P. pulls off a nearly flawless victory - only one poor handgunner was lost in the fracas.

Cheers,
Mar

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
« Reply #551 on: July 19, 2023, 06:48:57 PM »
Great cliffhanger; as I'm both surprised as thrilled the dwarfs are making a comeback to the story!
And what a batle it was, only one casualty for the good guys  o_o

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
Oldhammer In Moria: Hasslefree Dwarves Return!
« Reply #552 on: July 27, 2023, 11:56:06 PM »
@LordOdo, W
Well, here they are making their comeback!

Taken from full post here: https://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2023/07/hasslefree-dwarves-return.html

Hasslefree Dwarves Return!

The Dwarves have returned to Middle Earth.

They intend to retake Moria once again against seemingly insurmountable odds.

Since the reboot of this blog, Ive tried to only use minis with the realistic 28mm proportions (Darksword, Perry). I needed Dwarves that would fit in. So, here we have Kev White minis from Hasslefree Miniatures! Oh, actually they have been in this blog before and had a few battles under their belt before they were sold in an earlier purge. So while the models themselves were recently purchased and painted, from a fluff point of view, they have "returned".

Clan Hasslefree in all their glory!

The old fluff on our blog didnt put names to these Dwarves, so with this post, we will remedy this injustice and name the champions.

Left to Right: King Gourd, Balzac the Armorer

King Gourd has a Frostfang. A powerful runesword that negates enemy To-Save. Enemies beware!

A gourd is a pumpkin or a squash. So "out of his gourd" would mean... he's crazy because he misplaced his squash?

Balzac the Armorer: This is the way.

Left ot Right: Strummer the Slayer, Princess Inga, Brock the Brewmaster

Strummer the Slayer got all lost in the supermarket and could no longer shop happily. Princess Inga is the daughter of King Gourd. Brock the Brewmaster swore an Oath of Mug Holding and has been holding that mug for years, even in the midst of battle!

Left to Right: Lumpy the Librarian, Thimbold the Grey, Phoebe priestess of Valaya

Lumpy carries the history of Clan Hasslefree and has several Books of Grudges. Thimbold is another Grey Wizard in a long line of Grey Wizards. Phoebe is the priestess of Valaya the Dwarven goddess of Protection.

The royal family. Like father, like daughter, they do love to brandish their weapons up high. And probably reciting an ancient grudge or two.

Brock the Brewmaster is reunited with Butters the Beer Cart Pony.  Brock gives Butters a sugarcube for a treat. There, there, now. Good boy, Butters.

For the rest of the post see: https://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2023/07/hasslefree-dwarves-return.html

Cheers,
Mar

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
Re: Oldhammer In Moria: Hasslefree Dwarves Return!
« Reply #553 on: July 28, 2023, 07:47:25 AM »
The dwarves look ace, huzzah for their return.

Offline Plisken

• Assistant
Re: Oldhammer In Moria: Hasslefree Dwarves Return!
« Reply #554 on: July 28, 2023, 06:20:50 PM »
I missed the update to this thread with the Battle of Zirakzigil and I'm just now seeing the Gondorian Imperial Handgunners and Dol Amroth Myrmidon Spearmen... those are lovely concepts and work really well.

Also, the Gug! I'm inspired to get on Etsy and acquire some of those.