Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:52:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sandport - A VSF Game Setting - First Buildings Completed  (Read 5040 times)

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
Sandport - A VSF Game Setting - First Buildings Completed
« on: April 11, 2015, 04:45:29 PM »
There has always been a Sandport. Over the centuries the location and appearance of Sandport has changed but there is always a place of this name somewhere, be it the last bastion of civilisation in a post-apocalyptic wasteland or a star port on a frontier world in the far future. The Sandport of the late 19th century can be found on Mars ...

Three hundred miles to the west of New Victoria lies a range of mountains eight hundred miles long, but rarely more than ten miles wide. Running approximately north to south and up to two miles high, the mountains cut the land in two, as if the result of some primeval dispute between the Plains of Ookyaa to the east and the Great Rust Desert to the west.

The Martian name for the mountain range is Rraak Naa Kwataa (trans: The Shieldwall), after the great pavise shields traditionally used to protect City Martian musketeers in battle. The men of Earth, having much difficulty in pronouncing its Martian name, more commonly call this jagged ridge "The Spine", from its passing resemblance to the backbone of some long dead leviathan from Mars' ancient history.

The high valleys of the Spine (where the strong high altitude winds provide protection from the attentions of the aerial Sky Martians) are home to villages of hardy mountain folk. The villagers make a living from farming rare spices and narcotic herbs more suited to growing on the cooler mountain slopes than in the hot desert lands. Most notable amongst these crops is k'aak, a brown narcotic leaf traditionally chewed or, more recently under the influence of the Earthers, smoked by the lower castes of Martian society.

The foothills of the Spine offer seams of minerals to those willing to brave the hostile terrain and the risk of Sky Martian attacks. Chief amongst these minerals are pockets of the rare lift gems used to float the Martian skycraft. Recent discoveries of seams of Martian coal have also attracted human interest, in particular the British Mars Trade and Exploration Company (BMT), which has set up mines to extract this valuable resource necessary for keeping working the increasing numbers of Earther steam-powered vehicles on Mars.

To serve the mountain villages and mining camps, trading towns have become established where the foothills meet the desert, at the limits of operation of the caravans of huge sand sleds operated by the merchant families of the Martian cities. From these towns, trade with the villages and mining settlements of the Spine is conducted on the backs of the great camel-like beasts operated by the trader clans.

Foremost and most notorious amongst these trading towns is Sandport where, it is said, anything can be bought for a price. Originally a small Martian trading outpost, this settlement rapidly expanded to become a bustling frontier town, not least due to it becoming the administrative and logistical base for the BMT's mining operations.

Taken from the journal of Professor Ebenezar Von Stypher-Dyke, (University of Vienna), written during his travels on Mars 1888 -1889.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 06:18:16 PM by Bullshott »
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
Re: Sandport - A VSF Game Setting - First Buildings Completed
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 06:17:43 PM »
To start Sandport, here are three street buildings. All are generic and can be used for late 19th century colonial and Wild West settings, as well as VSF (the sign on the BMT office is removable to allow re-use of the building for other settings):

Construction detail of the BMT office. The walls are Arnica Real Estate parts, supplied by Skrapwelder.

Construction detail of the hardware store. Once again, the walls were supplied by Skrapwelder.

Construction detail of the general store. This is a laser cut building donated by Mason (I'm not sure who makes it). I replaced the boardwalk with a section provided by Skrapwelder.

The Steamfitter's workshop. This is the only building I've made so far that can't be used in a historical setting, but I felt was essential to lend a VSF/steampunk feel to the town. The building is a modified TSS resin kit.

Many thanks to Skrapwelder and Mason form providing parts and inspiration to allow me to start constructing this town.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 06:33:43 PM »
Very good mate  8)

Just right to get the old Mars mojo back  :D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
    • Classic40K painting blog
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 09:17:50 PM »
Very nice work!

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 11:11:53 PM »
Very good mate  8)

Just right to get the old Mars mojo back  :D

cheers

James

Seconded, I might even feel inspired enough to paint something. lol
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 11:46:30 PM »
Seconded, I might even feel inspired enough to paint something. lol

I've been busy - varnish drying on the last of my steam skiff crew and the skiff itself should be finished for Salute, even if it is a bit pink ...

Offline Richard

• Librarian
  • Oh-dear
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 12:07:28 PM »
Excellent buildings, which stand number will they be on at salute please?
Regards
Richard
Grumpy Old Git

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 12:36:38 PM »
Good start there Dave!
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 06:02:24 PM »
Excellent buildings, which stand number will they be on at salute please?

The buildings won't be on a stand, but my there will be a lot of our Martian terrain and flyers (mostly Jimbibbly's) on game table GM07.