Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:23:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dragon Rampant!  (Read 13043 times)

Offline Barry

• Student
Re: Dragon Rampant!
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2015, 03:24:11 PM »
Can we hear more about possible troop categories? Flying creatures like dragons, griffons and harpies? Large creatures like Atlantean war elephants or frost giants? Heroes in Chariots? How expansive will the army construction be?

Just got into Lion Rampant - having a great time, my fellow gamers do about a 50/50 split between historicals and fantasy so Dragon Rampant should be a natural rule set for us!

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 03:38:27 PM »
Flyers? Yes.
Large creatures? Yes.
Chariots? Yes.

Army construction is wide open, and Dan offers a range of options for finding the right unit type for what you want.

Like Lion Rampant, it uses baseline unit types (e.g. Elite Riders, Heavy Riders, Light Riders), but has a load of unit upgrades and fantastical elements that can applied for variety or finessing. There's also the 'Reduced' and 'Single' model units that combine all the oomph of a whole unit into fewer models - perfect for heroes and monsters.
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!

Offline Barry

• Student
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2015, 04:04:38 PM »
that is just what I was hoping. thanks

Online Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 04:09:57 PM »
This all sounds good,roll on Xmas  :)

Offline Lawful Evil

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2015, 02:47:38 AM »
There's also the 'Reduced' and 'Single' model units that combine all the oomph of a whole unit into fewer models - perfect for heroes and monsters.

Very interesting. I'm finding I need to do something similar in KoW, but it's tricky with preset base sizes.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2015, 08:59:10 PM »
i have played a couple of games. it's brilliant and has reawakened my interest in Fantasy gaming. Can't wait til the official release...

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2015, 09:01:07 PM »
I bought (very recently) Lion Rampant, and I really like what I'm currently reading. I can't wait to see the fantasy version of it !

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2015, 12:16:36 PM »
It does sound interesting. I wonder if it will cover the slightly esoteric areas of psychology (fear, terror, etc) and battle fatigue (morale, panic, etc). These are the things that I find missing from most of these skirmish games.

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2015, 02:43:19 PM »
Yep - courage, fear, hatred. All that good stuff.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2015, 05:46:09 PM »
I might be interested...  ::)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2015, 06:03:01 PM »
I'm really looking forward to this. We've been fighting fantasy battles with Lion Rampant, and it's a splendid ruleset: intuitive, tactical and, most importantly of all, fun. I also very much like the way that units of six or twelve miniatures are just the right size to use for SBH warbands.

In particular, the interaction of troops and terrain is really well handled in Lion Rampant. So you can use your bidowers to lure heavy cavalry into woods where they will be at a huge disadvantage, or rely on your ferocious troops (foot men-at-arms and "fierce foot") to cut foes to pieces on rough ground.

Apparently, three or four is a good number for a unit of trolls in Dragon Rampant, so I'm looking forward to unleashing these chaps:

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2015, 07:38:44 PM »
I love you.

Now I've got to go and, er, see how Lion Rampant actually plays... :?
An me ,just what I'm looking for swap dragon for dinosaur and I can play medieval soldiers and dinosaurs and other gribblies.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2015, 07:45:02 PM »
played first game last week with 3 others picked up quickly and the rules are great I now have a set for fantasy gaming which is fast and fun and ticks all the boxes

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2015, 07:59:55 PM »
It occurs to me that Lion/Dragon Rampant would work perfectly well for genuinely massed battles. If you wanted to use masses and masses of figures, you could use "stands" instead of individuals (or just use a multiple - i.e. one casualty is three or five or ten or whatever).

A great aspect of the rules is the complete lack of basing conventions. We've mixed up a 25-year-old HOTT army with current SBH warbands, to good effect.

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2015, 10:07:40 PM »
That depends on how you want your mass battles to play. There's no facing in LR, no flanks, rear, etc. Usually in mass battle games there's an element of trying to get these things. There's also no rules for multiple combat, so you would not be able to orchestrate that kind of thing either. It is more warband style in my eyes.