Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:19:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689736
  • Total Topics: 118291
  • Online Today: 821
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Playing WH40K2. Cops & robbers  (Read 3740 times)

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Playing WH40K2. Cops & robbers
« on: April 13, 2015, 11:49:58 AM »
You've recently seen my Chaplains and my Field Police. Now you are gonna see them in action! :D

We mostly used 2nd Ed, but not exactly, more kind of a mix of that and RT. 2nd Ed gives us 'quick game experience', particularly about weapon rules (we are familiar with modifiers and stuff), but we tend to play quite in a RPG-esque way (you'll see...), so we use some RT elements. In the end, rules are are unimportant ;). I also had to test if my scenery was worth of the effort I was putting on it... ;)

A group of rogue Space Marines has stolen a Terminator Armour. They are trying to reach the black market and make it disappear...

But Chapter Master of Sanctity Tow Takka-Chow has dispatched two of his best Chaplains to take some Field Police and go hunt the rebels.

You can see the settings in the pic below. Rogue Marines deploy at the dock, where a ship has just left them (green arrow, right of the picture). They need to get the Termie at Mama Balaklava's (blue arrow, roughly centre of the picture). Two Field Police Squads, each one led by a Chaplain, will arrive by turns just at the top of the Arbites local Station (red arrow, left of the picture), being the Imperial representation on the area. Both Chaplains have quite a dissimilar character; they're going to play the good cop/bad cop good Chaplain/ bad Chaplain game. The first one to arrive will try by all means to hunt and kill the rebels. The second Chaplain will however try to catch them alive and to get them on a fair trial back to the Fortress of Hera.

Besides, there are some civilians in the neighbourhood (randomly moving using the scatter die) and several mutants/xenos/abhumans will be getting into the board (reserves rules).

OK, let's go. Rogue Marines move and the Police arrives (as I don't have a Marine flyer, I used the Arbites Airbus. Maybe one day I'll build a Marines flying brick)

Rogue Marines play their Strategy Card. Booby traps!

The fugitives climb up the van and try to convince the owner to carry them (using an initiative roll).

A Minotaur!

The Field Police shoot on the abomination. Such a creature cannot be tolerated on Imperial soil:

Bad Chaplain sees the fugitives. Shoot! Kill! Kill'em all! Kil kil kil!

A marine gets to the crane and pushes the poor civilian to the water (slo-mo action, the kind of thing you could see in the A-Team show)

This most definitely didn't happen in the A-Team!

The Marine commands the Servitor in the crane to pick up his fellow Termie :D

And take him to the walkaway! ;D:

Civilians were a little shocked, a blue demolition ball crashing through the window :D

The other fugitives finally confiscate the van:

They hit a pedestrian and the other one manages to jump to the water (slo-mo action too)

The Field Police keep on moving:

They take a fugitive down:

The only thing I hate more than traitors is collaborationists! Die, you civilian!

The civilian fights for his life against the Piscean. The barge gets closer and opens fire:

The Mino kicks and punches the Marine who didn't get on the crane nor the van:

Another Mino and another Piscean arrive:

A civilian seems to be an anti-Imperium activist. He gets into a car and tries to hit the Police:

The guy who controlled the crane decided to join his fellow Termie. He ran over the crane arm (Initiative roll was passed) and jumped on the bridge. As a reward to my foolish boldness, my mate even allowed me to move onto the corner and shoot the Field Police. From now on we just called that Marine Daniel Craig.  lol

The police try to stop the car:

Beastmen incoming!

Finally the rogue Marines get some reenforcements:

This is how the flank looked like:

Both Pisceans devoured their victims and they boarded the barge:

The Minos take Bad Chaplain down and the remaining fugitive keeps on running, pursued by the Beastmen:

One of the Minos almost got crushed by the bridge when it rose up to let the barge (with the Pisceans) go through:

The combat goes on. The Termie advances and the Beastmen hit on both sides:

The Termie lets himself fall over the handrail trusting in his powerful armour to preserve his life. His mate Daniel Craig also jumped with him and... he failed his initiative roll for the jump, falling miserably! :P

General overview:

Fortunately, Daniel Craig gets up, cheks his tie and charges he enemy. He grabs an enemy who was on the upper floor by his ankle and takes him down 8).

By exposing himself to enemy fire, he pretended to allow his fellow to move forward:

But no way, he fails an armour save and is taken down:

Oooooh, sooo cloooose...

We decided not to roll for the Termie to see if he got back on his feet and just put the game to an end. So the fugitives were taken down and the Chapter avoided the risk of its sacred arcane technology to be desecrated!

Just to end the turn, the Pisceans escaped with their fish cargo on the barge lol

That was the game :). We enjoyed it pretty much. As yu can see, our respect for any rulebook is... limited, but I honestly believe this works fine; playing this game by the book would have been slightly boring, IMHO.

You can check the whole game on the blog, with more pics and better explanations:

http://oldschoolworkshop.blogspot.com.es/2015/04/playing-2nd-ed-cops-robbers.html

I can use a few more buildings, but for sure I still need a second board and lots of civilians! I'm on it...

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Playing WH40K2. Cops & robbers
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 11:56:56 AM »
Awesome game!  You have quite a collection and a fun mix of models.  What is the Oldhammer book in the first shot?  Did you have your rules bound?
This is my boomstick!

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 12:22:48 PM »
Insanity!   ;D
Great report
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 02:56:06 AM by commissarmoody »
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Miantanomo

• Scientist
  • Ahhh, Crap.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 12:25:12 PM »
Awesome game! Some great non-marine pieces you got there!
"If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die."
-Eddard Stark

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 12:49:56 PM »
Ha ha! That was superb. A really interesting looking table, and that showed through in the way the game unfolded. That was a fun read.

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 08:37:03 PM »
Thank you! It's mostly RT, but using 2nd Ed profiles, so it's kind of a weird mix. But that's the way we tend to play and have fun. As long as no one takes the game seriously, it totally works :).

Regarding the book, my pal just went to a bookbinder and got this done. He is a RPG developer (that also explains the way we played here ;)) and he is planning a collector's edition for his latest book just that way, with leather and stuff; so he ordered this piece too. It contains all the basic stuff for both WHFB 4th Ed and WH40K 2nd Ed:

Beautiful book indeed, I must say. Made me kinda envious :P

Offline Miantanomo

• Scientist
  • Ahhh, Crap.
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 01:21:04 AM »
Though I am a young gun, too young to remember those glory days, I love the look! A beautiful looking piece!

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 04:18:24 AM »
Awesome looking game!  Are the Pisceans and Beastmen old miniatures, or are they conversions?

Offline randycarter

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 09:45:23 AM »
Oh, how I'd want to have friends like yours!  :) Wanderful game, very inspiring way of playing and great table.

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 07:56:27 PM »
Thank you! :)

Both Pisceans and Minotaurs are new sculptures in an old-ish style. I got them from the sculptor at the Oldhammer forum. A Indiegogo campaign should arrive anytime soon to allow mass production. I presonally love that style, will be getting almost anything he releases.

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 09:29:39 AM »
Wow!  That books is amazing. I need a friend like yours to bind mine!  Looks wonderful.