Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:51:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Victorian England source material - help an aspiring novelist...  (Read 4627 times)

Offline lethallee61

• Scientist
Hello good people.

Having had my first short story self-published on Amazon at the end of last year, I am now currently in the very preliminary stages of outlining a novel set (at least initially) in Victorian England/London and was looking for any suggestions for books/websites from your good selves that provide suitable background material for the period/locations.

While the novel will certainly have fantastical elements (no spoilers yet), and role-playing/miniatures sourcebooks are also appreciated, I do want a reasonable level of accuracy in terms of locations etc. I don't want characters walking down streets that didn't exist until after the Second World War, for example. ;)

Sadly, living across the other side of the world, it's not as though I can just pop into my local book store and pick up a map of Victorian London. Certainly not asking anyone to do the work for me, and I will definitely be conducting further research on my own, but if anyone could point me in the right direction, then it would be the very well read individuals that frequent this site.

Genuinely grateful for any assistance that can be provided.
Enjoying the game is ALWAYS more important than winning the game.

Offline zebcook

• Librarian
Re: Victorian England source material - help an aspiring novelist...
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 03:46:43 AM »
Two map resources:

Reprints of Ordnance Survey Maps -- extremely detailed http://www.alangodfreymaps.com/

London survey (1890's) superimposed over Google Maps:

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 06:35:10 AM »
Give this a whirl

http://www.victorianlondon.org/

It is created by a Lee Jackson and I can highly recommend his books too.  Some were published under L M Jackson.
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline lethallee61

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 10:07:46 AM »
Thanks for the links chaps. Some excellent places to start looking.

I've also ordered 3 books on Victorian England from the Book Depository to help me on my way.

Online The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 07:53:13 PM »
Your comment about RPG's certainly intrigued me. I'm a fan of Space 1889, though it doesn't have the depth in its background you mention. I'm beginning to think Castle Falkenstein supplements may. Takes a bit to distill the fop from the fey, though.

I've a small pile of books I think may be useful, but I'll have to go home as I'm lousy at remembering titles. Underground London pops up in my head for, though not restricted to Victoriana, has some very interesting tidbits that give another direction to ones outlook, namely down.

I also reside in a former colony, and I must caution that I'm a poor judge. During all the kerfuffle when it first came out, I confess I was lost in the critiques of Ripper Street.

Doug

Offline Old-N-Busted

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 08:24:46 PM »
The Cthulhu by gaslight source book is also worth a look. Lists of costs for items/pay /slang terms/and time lines of events ect.
Well said Agshard we"ve never really liked the Yull have we? vicious buggers-fluffy too. Space Captain Smith Vol 2

Online The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 08:11:52 PM »
Okay, having a time finding ANYTHING in this house.

I mentioned Underground London, and suspect Haunted London gives similar 'not just Victorian' insights.

Can't find the book of household tips, really a single volume encyclopedia, but the recipes, the things you clean and how, really takes one to another time.

One thing that helps me is a true crime story. I try to focus less on the criminal, and more on the victims and how they are feeble humans. If you were looking at the US, I'd suspect Devil in the White City has much that recommends it, the optimism, the naive young women venturing outside their small worlds, but here are three for Britain, though the The Fox... is more a world criminal:

The Napoleon of Crime: The Life and Times of Adam Worth, Master Thief
The Fox and the Flies: The Secret Life of a Grotesque Master Criminal
The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher: A Shocking Murder and the Undoing of a Great Victorian Detective

Doug

Offline headbones

• Lurker
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 09:43:33 PM »
How the 'Booth Poverty Map'? http://booth.lse.ac.uk/cgi-bin/do.pl?sub=view_booth_and_barth&args=531000,180400,6,large,5
I think each street has been given a colour depending on it's 'class'.

The navigation is clunky (no scroll to zoom) but could be useful.

Offline lethallee61

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 11:27:47 PM »
Thanks for all of the tips guys.

I've already picked up some great factual books on Victorian London/England, Jack the Ripper etc, as well as "Cthulhu By Gaslight" (thanks Beast) and it's supporting equipment catalogue. I've owned "Castle Falkenstein" since it first came out & all the supplements. For me, one of the best RPG settings ever created.

Surprisingly, I've also found a wealth of information reading through my daughter's collection of "Horrible History" magazines.  lol

Even so, all of the map links will be particularly useful when it comes time to have my character walk the streets of late 1880's London, so thanks once again.

Online The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 05:51:08 PM »
...as well as "Cthulhu By Gaslight" (thanks Beast)

No, no, I was the one who reminded you of Falkenstein, not By Gaslight, much to my embarrassment. I don't own, but am aware of;Old-n-Busted's sure to see your gratitude. lol

You COULD list the titles of those 'factual' books in case we'd like a look...  ;)

Doug

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Old-N-Busted

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2015, 06:41:53 PM »
No, no, I was the one who reminded you of Falkenstein, not By Gaslight, much to my embarrassment. I don't own, but am aware of;Old-n-Busted's sure to see your gratitude. lol

You COULD list the titles of those 'factual' books in case we'd like a look...  ;)

Doug
No hard feelings just glad to help lol BUSTED

Offline lethallee61

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2015, 12:03:25 AM »
Consider me both embarrassed and admonished Old-N-Busted.  :'(

The books I've picked up so far:

"How To Be A Victorian" - Ruth Goodman

"The Victorian City" - Judith Flanders

"Inside The Victorian Home" - Judith Flanders

"Capturing Jack The Ripper; In the Boots of a Bobby in Victorian London" - Neil R.A. Bell

If I grab anything else, I'll probably start with "A Dictionary of Victorian London" by Lee Jackson.

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 01:51:21 PM »
The top two on your list of purchases are superb. Also check out the two reprinted versions of Baedeker's London 1900 and Baedeker's Britain 1890.