Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:17:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689605
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Poll

?

WotR billmen (Nord)
Sohei (Drachenklinge)

Author Topic: ROUND 2 WotR billmen vs Sohei  (Read 5790 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
ROUND 2 WotR billmen vs Sohei
« on: April 18, 2015, 10:21:18 AM »

Offline Steam Flunky

• Mastermind
  • Stop the world.I want to get off!
    • My Miniature collections on Flickr
Re: ROUND 2 WotR billmen vs Sohei
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 10:38:00 AM »
The 1st difficult decision of round 2!
laf medals by Robert  (steam flunky), auf Flickrhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/torq42/sets/

Offline itchy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 12:51:19 PM »
another hard choice what a stressful time .

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 04:45:59 PM »
Another tough decision.

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 06:43:13 PM »
thanks for pointing out the difficultiness in choosing. I neeeeeeed better pictures next time, but that was clear from the beginning and I wanted to take part this time so badly. ;)

@ Nord
great entry again, no shame to loose this one either.
Say, do I see some green again, this time with the clothing? What really puzzles me, that this gives this extra worn-out look on them. Again some wash or some opaque mix with "Enten-Ei-Grün"* here?

And that violett is superbly (?) worn-out too.

best wishes
DK

* very light green, like duck-eggs
best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 07:14:35 PM »
DK - in the end it was the size of your pic that lead me to vote for your opponent.  Perhaps if yours was bigger we would have been able to see your skills beter.  ( I suffer from problems with my pictures too and am hoping that with some research and practice I can have better pictures from round 4 onwards - won't improve my painting and may do me no favours at all, but I'll give it a try).

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 08:19:16 PM »
Thanks for emphasizing that in particular. I was wondering myself about the different sizes until I checked and realized that I wasted about 200 pixels or so here. 4 rounds already sent in, but maybe I can tickle some more out of my new but cheap cam from 5 on.

best wishes
DK

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 09:15:23 PM »
If you want to send replacement pics for rounds 3 and 4 in the full 800 pixel width, that's fine.
You are certainly putting your entries at a disadvantage by providing smaller pictures than you need to  :?

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 09:30:54 PM »
that is a very kind offer, really, but no, thank You. I knew before that the pix weren't that good. However, they are not thaaat bad, so please, no special treatment. After all there is still round 5 and up.

Actually that is all part of the plan. Next LPL everyone will get used to this level of my pix and then I will surprise everyone with new skills so my votings will go straight through the roof.  :o

The offer to Calimero is imho still more valid due to his pix.

thanks and best wishes
DK

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 09:56:06 PM »
@ Nord
great entry again, no shame to loose this one either.
Say, do I see some green again, this time with the clothing? What really puzzles me, that this gives this extra worn-out look on them. Again some wash or some opaque mix with "Enten-Ei-Grün"* here?

You probably can see some green. When I paint I glaze quite a lot. A glaze is a very thin coat of paint, watered down so that there's very little pigment - it's like a watercolour rather than an acrylic. A quick coat of this here and there makes slight, subtle differences, especially on pale background colours. Slightly thicker and it makes more difference. I use a coat d'arms paint called grey green a lot. It's the stubble on the guys' chins. It's the shading on some of the cream areas. It can go just about anywhere, so yes sometimes I will use it on odd places like yellow or red clothing. When combined with other shading colours, like browns or purples, it gives lots of subtle but different cool shades.

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 10:32:54 PM »
I glazed some of my later dwarf-skins too which really gave them more livelyness. Maybe I should be more brave and try it more often.
The tricky part is finding the fitting glaze.  :?

Offline khartoum2

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2015, 10:34:14 PM »
Tough choice - Had to zoom in to 200% before I finally came to a decision

Greta work from you both

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 01:31:30 AM »
Great work both of you.  Good luck DK on the future pics, you certainly have talent.  Perhaps you might want to consider a background too.  Check the scoring on other match ups, it often seems the case that a pic in front of some scenery will do better than one taken on the kitchen table.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 06:20:56 AM »
thanks a lot for these opinions. A friend of mine did make scenery for two Japanese tables, not much surprisingly for Ronin which I painted all this for like nearly all of my entries this time. One he did with some Japanese houses, one more rural.
I just couldn't manage to get these after my decision to take part here - too busy with rl.

It is still very much fun and I usually got positive feedback for my minis so I am comfortable. However, there is always room for improvement.  :D
The next pictures I will try with more ... sun, cause I think my cam is more suitable for outside pix (very limited options).

And maybe later this year my rl gets a bit more quiet again, so I may start one or two new threads or posts with better pictures. Still working on some IHMN minis.

best wishes
DK

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 02:21:33 PM »
Great entries both!!

DK- Where are those miniatures from? I like them a lot!

Nord- It might just be this photo, but I think the flag in the background looks a bit too neat compared eith the worn-out look of the soldiers.
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)