Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:01:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Into The Kraken Nebula - SWC Campaign  (Read 1614 times)

Offline Mike Blake

• Scientist
  • Size Does Matter! - 54mm - The One True Scale
Into The Kraken Nebula - SWC Campaign
« on: January 06, 2017, 03:31:21 PM »
I have been bitten by the Space Bug and am doing various things for the cross-genre (ie anything goes) Sci-Fi campaign we are running in the Skirmish Wargamers Collective, Into The Kraken Nebula. This is the name of our group SF campaign, for which I am doing some 54mm figures… and here are my first two 'squads', both from the Star Wars genre.

The first lot are some Bounty Hunters, a mix of repaints of metal and plastic and some more serious conversion.

The second team are Death Troopers from Rogue One, which I have recently seen and really enjoyed. These are repaints of Hasbro plastic Storm Troopers, with extra bits and new weapons. Spot the two figures which started out in the same pose.

A good source of 54mm SF weapons, some specifically Star wars and others more generic, is FirestarToys.com.

Lots more photos of the figures on Photobucket at link http://s654.photobucket.com/user/MikeBlake/library/Sci%20Fi/Star%20Wars%20Bounty%20Hunters and link http://s654.photobucket.com/user/MikeBlake/library/Sci%20Fi/Star%20Wars%20Rogue%20One%20Death%20Troopers

I am converting and repainting (and adding Blaster Carbines) to a squad of Alliance Marines 'as they are' in terms of uniforms, and converting the same figures into Commandos, which is primarily a head swap and new weapons.

Most of the rest of the figures, as they are distinctive and nicely posed (ie Jedi and named characters) will just be repaints; sometimes just a wash and sometimes a complete new paint job.

Can't find a Princess Leia in her slave girl costume though! May have to make one from scratch (not much Greenstuff needed there ;-) )

Will need some space ships and terrain for this campaign too. Have some 1/18th scale (95mm) vehicles which actually work really well as for 54mm figures, including two huge Star Wars transporters, one of which I want to make into a crashed version. Also have some Meccano Gears of War vehicle kits, which make up into nice vehicles and should look good when painted. The Kre-O ‘Lego-type’ kits are not so good but they do Star Trek stuff, which I want to add to my factions. The figures are not good, stumpy and lumpy but the heads are OK (ie almost recognisable faces as Kirk, McCoy, Spok etc), so I will experiment with body transplants.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 08:20:10 AM by Mike Blake »
Size Does Matter! - 54mm - The One True Scale

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
Re: Into The Kraken Mebula - SWC Campaign
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 02:49:10 AM »
firestartoys.com seems to just be custom lego stuff, not 54mm star wars models?

Offline Mike Blake

• Scientist
Re: Into The Kraken Nebula - SWC Campaign
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 08:19:50 AM »
aliensurfer - that's what I said? "A good source of 54mm SF weapons, some specifically Star wars and others more generic, is FirestarToys.com."

For figures, it is a case of searching on the internet and eBay, as the sets are all pretty much OOP. There are full sets on sale in the US, but the postage is prohibitive to the UK. Oddly enough, single figures are available from an eBay seller in Singapore at senible prices and just one charge of a couple of GBP p&p regardless of how many you buy.

Just noticed the Mebula instead of Nebula! What can I say?

Offline huesped

• Mad Scientist
  • "-El Emperador no es tan magnánimo como yo"
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 09:29:02 AM »
COOL!!!!!! i'll keep an eye on your tread!!!

Offline Mike Blake

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 10:07:03 AM »
Thanks huesped. Check out the photos on Photobucket too - more on their way - and the Blog at lifes-a-botch.blogspot.co.uk which will have updates on the campaign...

Offline Mike Blake

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 02:13:34 PM »
http://lifes-a-botch.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/kraken-on-sorry-more-sci-fi-campaign.html for the latest instalment...

The drone is not attached to the droid's back! And the droid now looks different too - new 'head' from part of another drone, to make it look more Zaurian ie lizard like. Spikes in the shoulder pads have been suggested too - any ideas for what to make them from, please?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 09:31:18 AM by Mike Blake »

Offline Mike Blake

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 08:17:25 AM »
More Zaurian SF Conversions

The Zaurian 2nd Wave are up on Photobucket now  at photos http://s654.photobucket.com/user/MikeBlake/library/Sci%20Fi/Zaurian%20%202%20Conversions

To: United Planets High Command
Subject: UPKrakNebMonFor Briefing Document KN-UR-2016-09-19-003 ZAURIAN Vanguard Peace Force ‘Cobra’

Overview
At tremendous cost in human life, a copy of a Top Secret Zaurian TOE document has been obtained and is appended at Annex A. It outlines the units of what appears to be intended as a stronger exploratory force into the Kraken Nebula by the Zaurian High Command.

This is clearly not intended as a second invasion force, rather a reconnaissance in strength, strong enough not to be rebuffed as easily as that sent recently to rescue their POW Grand Gul. Its real purpose is not clear, but knowledge of its makeup allows us to be prepared for its arrival.

Details of the weaponry is being actively sought. Code names have been given to various items of equipment to differentiate them as the Zaurian names are untranslatable. Some information may well prove to be incorrect and corrections and amendments will be issued as updates are received.

P Owens
Signed: Commodore P Owens; For Admiral UPKrakNebMonFor

Annexe A: ZAURIAN Vanguard Peace Force ‘Cobra’
1.       HQ
1.1.1. COMMANDER  - Grand Gul Tarkon
1.1.1.1.   in XV8 Monitor Enforcer Battlesuit
1.1.1.2.   In parade uniform

1.1.2. BODYGUARD  
2 x XV8 Monitor Battlesuits

1.1.3. HIGH PRIESTESS/MAGE (on Grav-Disc)
1.1.4. PRIESTESS’S HONOUR GUARD
2 x Priestesses (on Grav-Discs)

2.       TROOPS

2.1.    1st IGUANA RANGER SQUAD (Anti-Grav-Disks)
1 x Iguana Ranger Squad Leader
5 x Iguana Rangers
1 x Iguana Ranger Sniper/Marksman

2.2.    2nd  IGUANA RANGER SQUAD (Anti-Grav-Disks)
1 x Iguana Ranger Squad Leader
4 x Iguana Rangers
1 x Iguana Ranger Sniper/Marksman

2.3     KOMODO WARRIOR SQUAD ASP
1 x Squad Leader
6 x Fire Warriors
1 x Heavy Weapon Fire Warrior (Plasma Cannon)

2.4   KOMODO WARRIOR SQUAD BOA
1 x Squad leader
6 x Fire Warriors
1 x Heavy Weapon Fire Warrior (Heavy Rocket Launcher)

3.       ELITE

3.1.    DRAKO WARRIOR JUMP SQUAD
1 X Drako Squad Leader XV25 Battlesuit
6 x Drako Warriors XV14 Battlesuits
2 x Heavy Weapon Drako Warriors XV14A Battlesuits

4.       SUPPORT & TRANSPORT

4.1.    2 x KRAIT Light Support Skimmers (LSS)
Transport/Support for 2.1

4.2.    2 x CAIMAN APCs
Transport for 2.2 & 2.3

4.3.    1 x XANIDER Stealth Sentinel Drone Squad
Operated by 2.1, numbers  and types dependent on mission

4.4.    1 x MAMBA Heavy Attack Drone
Under HQ control

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1] This is the Zaurian High Command’s designation!

« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 08:52:25 AM by Mike Blake »

Offline Mike Blake

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 08:51:23 AM »
Wave 2 is taking shape very slowly, lost my painting mojo... But some trial colour schemes have been started - will post some piccies but have friends staying so time on line/painting very limited this week.

Not sure what to do about the changes at Photobucket either, which look like they have screwed up linking to photos , and I have quite a few there.