Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:42:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686616
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: This weeks progress 21st PD project  (Read 97390 times)

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
2nd test print of the Hungarian KV-40 artillery tractor
« Reply #480 on: May 07, 2023, 07:00:38 AM »
So cool!
There are not many pictures with the canvas or the cover frame on, so do not worry about that imho (this might just mean that no one whipped out a camera during rainy weather ofc)
Yes, canvas tilts are beyond my skills at this moment, this is only my second design, maybe in the future, but for now I intend on adding a tilt the old fashioned way, to a least one of them, tissue and white glue.

Hi guys

2nd test print of the Hungarian KV-40 Artillery tractor, the first test print was far to fragile, (I’ll be using those for battlefield wrecks)  the tilt frame broke especially, but the whole thing was to fragile and broke when removing from the supports, they are on the left in the first picture, and the last 3 pictures, so I thickened the frame from .5mm to .8mm and gave all the wheels more support, I think they still look pretty good, not to thick but much sturdier, however I will need to now go back and and strengthen the rear superstructure, as 2 broke off, and the others are a little flimsy, they will get tougher after curing, but I want the final version of the tractors to be able to survive the clean up process, once I’ve strengthened the superstructure I think I will have that as the “display” model version, I then intend to thicken the frame again to 1mm to produce a “wargaming” version to avoid damage on the tabletop. I will cure and clean these up, undercoat in grey and take more pics so as to really see the details, even as I go through this process I have started on the next design, the German Lanz Bulldog D8506 1937 tractor, after that I’ll be searching for a WWII French tractor to build, my Wargaming3D shop isn’t up yet, limited time is delaying that, will sit down and work that out this week hopefully.

https://gunnerswargamming.blogspot.com/2023/05/2nd-test-print-hungarian-kv-40.html

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
Re: HSCS KV-40 artillery tractor test print
« Reply #481 on: May 07, 2023, 03:20:12 PM »
WOW! Just WOW!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline Freddy

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #482 on: May 07, 2023, 04:40:51 PM »
They look great, enough for an entire artillery battery :)

Offline Tom Dulski

• Mad Scientist
  • BOOKWORM
Re: WIP gun tractors and 251s
« Reply #483 on: May 09, 2023, 10:52:34 AM »
Hi guys

Trying out an old technique, but a new one for me, at least one I haven’t done since the early 2000s, pretty simple really, just rattle canning the base coat, I’ve had an airbrush for a long time and usually airbrush my base coats, but I felt like trying something new, here I’ve used Tamiya dark yellow, German grey and olive drab, I undercoated black (rattlecan) let dry, then applied the base coat. They turned out OK, and will be a good start for working on.

I tested a Hungarian car with the olive drab, but wasn’t happy with the colour, so I masked of some camo and over sprayed in dark yellow, hadn’t planned on using this style so didn’t buy a brown for a 3 tone camo, so this guy will stay green/yellow, it turned out OK, so I’ll be grabbing a brown for 3 tone later, it will go to my Luftwaffe troops maybe, I’ll try some different greens for the Hungarian base coat.

I’ll use this technique maybe every 3rd batch just to change it up a bit.

I was expecting the German grey to be a bit darker, but was pleasantly surprised to see they came out lighter than expected which will be easier for me to work with, I like some variation in shades and tones so will use filters to achieve that.
More pics here
https://gunnerswargamming.blogspot.com/2023/04/testing-out-some-alternative-painting.html

Hate to bother you but what kind of putty did you use to make those worm shapes to get the camo effect? I tried doing this over the weekend with terrible results the putty did not come off easily and left a blue color on the base coat.

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #484 on: May 09, 2023, 11:48:53 AM »

Hate to bother you but what kind of putty did you use to make those worm shapes to get the camo effect? I tried doing this over the weekend with terrible results the putty did not come off easily and left a blue color on the base coat.
I use blutac, I think in other countries it maybe called poster putty? Did you try and remove the blue putty by taking a ball of the putty and dabbing it on the residue?

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #485 on: May 09, 2023, 12:30:01 PM »
I use blutac, I think in other countries it maybe called poster putty? Did you try and remove the blue putty by taking a ball of the putty and dabbing it on the residue?

I use stuff called 'clever putty' which is more viscous than blu-tac or similar. You apply it and let it 'settle' into the recesses etc.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Tom Dulski

• Mad Scientist
  • BOOKWORM
« Reply #486 on: May 10, 2023, 12:37:04 AM »
I used the blue tac I eventually got it off but it left a blue color on the undercoat and I had to re-prime it.

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #487 on: May 10, 2023, 09:22:36 PM »
I used the blue tac I eventually got it off but it left a blue color on the undercoat and I had to re-prime it.
Hmm, never had that before, I’ve used blutac to mount figures and models for painting for decades and never had it stain paint.

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #488 on: May 11, 2023, 07:05:47 AM »
I have had old blutac stick rather persistently to surfaces but in general if it's fresh and unadulterated it just peels off and any left over is removed by dabbing it with a bigger piece as described above.

Even on those rare occasions when there is a sticky residue it comes off fairly easily with the application of a touch of alcohol. Beats the piss and pick handles out of cutting up irregular shaped bits of masking tape.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Tom Dulski

• Mad Scientist
  • BOOKWORM
« Reply #489 on: May 11, 2023, 10:37:30 AM »
Maybe it was old, Im not sure just how old it was. I purchased another one and will use that next time. Hopefully with better results.

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #490 on: May 11, 2023, 11:14:55 AM »
Maybe it was old, Im not sure just how old it was. I purchased another one and will use that next time. Hopefully with better results.
Maybe test it first, spray something disposable and do a test run to see if it does it again.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #491 on: May 11, 2023, 01:10:18 PM »
Seriously, just spend the little extra on a product designed for masking and save yourself the heartache, resprays and ruined paint jobs

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #492 on: May 11, 2023, 01:43:57 PM »
Seriously, just spend the little extra on a product designed for masking and save yourself the heartache, resprays and ruined paint jobs
Yeah, you could also do that.

Offline Tom Dulski

• Mad Scientist
  • BOOKWORM
« Reply #493 on: May 12, 2023, 10:30:10 AM »
Maybe test it first, spray something disposable and do a test run to see if it does it again.

That's a great idea, I can do it on the used sprue once the model is built.

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #494 on: May 14, 2023, 09:27:54 AM »
 Hi guys

A good friend and client of mine sent me an early birthday present, a PMA sdkfz 8 DB 9 flak 18, it’s a very nice little pre built model, I was surprised to find the cab and bonnet armour can be removed, it’s a pretty cool little vehicle, I’m not going to do to much to it, I might replace the tools as they are soft rubber and a little warped out of shape, and do a little more weathering then add a crew, probably AB, or maybe Simons Soldiers, a good little addition to my early war Germans, thanks Ray.
https://gunnerswargamming.blogspot.com/2023/05/172-pma-sdkfz-8-db-9-88cm-flak-18.html