Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:42:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Please tell me more about Reaper Minatures "Warlord"  (Read 2504 times)

Offline ketoeloeh

• Librarian
    • Golden Goblin Gaming Group
Please tell me more about Reaper Minatures "Warlord"
« on: April 25, 2015, 01:52:33 PM »
Hi all,

I've always had a soft spot for some of the Reaper miniatures, and as I've been planning to add some more* to the lead mountain I've been thinking about also getting the Warlord book(s).

So, in case you have some experience with the setting/rules, I'd really appreciate it if you could share your feedback.

Thanks!
k.

(* Please also check my thread in the "(WANTED)" forums)
Golden Goblin by day & night, Great Old One after hours!

Offline Fates Fickle Finger

• Scientist
Re: Please tell me more about Reaper Minatures "Warlord"
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 08:42:36 PM »
Its In my opinion a very good system, there are several factions in each rulebook. Each figure and troop type are given a stat card with stats and abilities etc, what I really like is that the stats get worse as troops/characters are wounded.
You could easily proxy different figures to represent the different factions etc. The magic system is very good as well and is very balanced plus lots of different options for giving your warband/army overall abilities and traits. A very overlooked system in my opinion and well worth exploring :)

FFF

Offline Rabbitz

• Mad Scientist
    • Unit57
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 11:26:09 PM »
Have to agree with everything said above.  It's a great little system and one of the most popular at the club I go to.  We even have tournaments for it. 
All the factions seem very well balanced. 
The game play is unique in that you have to get all your figures from a troop into position before declaring a fight or shoot action.   
This makes it quite tactical as once you declare a shoot if melee action everyone in that troop shoots or fights.   

Definitely worth giving it a try. 
Integrity is non negotiable

My little blog

www.unit57inminiature.blogspot.com.au

Offline madzerker

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 12:39:35 AM »
I enjoyed it. The only complaint I have is they used different sculptors on the armies, so you might have an army that is mostly sculpted by Bobby Jackson or Werner Klocke and looks great with his style and then a few Tim Prow or James Van Shaik thrown in that ruin it. I understand that maybe a sculpter couldn't do an entire army, but then again the same sculpters do other armies as well. Plus, I don't think they finished all the armies yet, but there doesn't seem to be any new releases. Maybe they will pick it up again in bones if the minis are too expensive or something. I have collected all that I like and will play either Warlord or use them for a generic system

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 05:31:20 AM »
Don't know about the game but I love Reaper miniatures.
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline ketoeloeh

• Librarian
    • Golden Goblin Gaming Group
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 08:07:37 PM »
Thanks for your feedback, guys.

I managed to get my hands on the Savage North book, so I''ve got some reading to do :).

A large part of my enjoyment of a game setting comes from it's background and stories, so I'm curious to see what's in the SN book.
At first sight it seems a bit of a generic DnD'ish fantasy setting with some cool specials like the Bloodstone Gnomes and Wayne Reynolds inspired giants... Anyhow, I'm curious to learn more.

In addition, I've noticed the book includes a rules section - I imagine these are the same rules that are also included in the main rulebook? If anyone has that main book, I'm happy to hear what's included in that one.

k.

Offline Rabbitz

• Mad Scientist
    • Unit57
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 11:39:51 PM »
The other book also has the rules, but the savage north have a few changes to them I believe as they are the most current set.   Mths other book also includes a load of different army options