Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:12:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691087
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Perry British Colonial Plastics  (Read 12569 times)

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
Re: Perry British Colonial Plastics
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2015, 05:25:31 PM »
Those are good thoughts. Yes, I'd agree we probably wont see plastic Highlanders, and almost certainly not Naval Brigade either, so those and the artillery are safe purchases. :)

I plan on buying all the plastics they do, I want my collection to be flexible for all theatres, and I'll certainly play my Empress Redcoats in the Sudan and NWF too.

And oh - HYW French - must resistm Anna, must resist....  :D

Resist to what? Well they are good miniatures, you are helping a small company and the economy, enjoy painting and gaming... I do not see any reason to not buy if you are interested...  lol I stopped to try  "must resist" mantra years ago, wargaming is my only hobby and also part profession if I resist the only funny/enjoyable thing I do... what i have to do... watching television all the day?  :o Anyway few people who say "I must resist" to a perry release then resists... 
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Anna Elizabeth

• Scientist
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2015, 06:43:23 PM »
Oh indeed, I'm so there with Perry HYW. :) It was just a joke. The only real question is when I can afford them after release.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2015, 07:30:22 PM »
Oh indeed, I'm so there with Perry HYW. :) It was just a joke. The only real question is when I can afford them after release.

I think I'll be pre-ordering!1 I just cannot wait- it's all a dream come true for me!  8)

Darrell.

Offline CollarSarge

• Assistant
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2015, 08:54:21 PM »
Interesting and I hope they do well for the twins. One thing puzzles me though. The key with plastics is to sell in bulk.

Compared to Napoleonic warfare the AZW battles may be regarded as small. But they were far from a skirmish between some dozen men. So how much boxes would one need to cover all troops? Let’s count 40 minis per box:

Battle of Isandlwana:  
1.800 British + Native vs. up to 20.000 Zulus = 45 +500 boxes

Battle of Rorke’s Drift:
140 British vs. about 4.000 Zulus = 3,5 + 100 boxes

Battle of Kambula:
2.260 British + Native vs. about 20.000 Zulus = 56 + 500 boxes

Battle of Gingindlovu:
5.670 British vs. about 11.000 Zulus = 141 + 275 boxes

Battle of Ulundi: 5.200 British + Native vs. up to 15.000 Zulus = 130 + 375 boxes
(Source: Wikipedia)

To me that's bulky enough.  lol
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 08:56:23 PM by CollarSarge »

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2015, 08:09:38 AM »
And of course the other thing about this is that a box of 40 would make 3 12 man units for TMWWBK (+ spares), which, if you add upgrades, could be a full 24pt field force. Remove the upgrades and buy a Perry metal Mountain gun or an Empress (or similar) Gardner/Gatling gun to add to that force and you still have a 24 point field force for the Sudan or Zulu Wars. Job done  ;)

Offline Mingans Marauders

• Bookworm
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2015, 08:58:10 AM »
 :o :o I have over 200 of the plastic Empress/Warlord figures, but I think I need 200 more plastic troops!

Lets not forget the Steampunk/VSF crowd who will easily buy up these figures as well. I have a few friends who play In Her Majesty's Name and I can easily see a few of them buying boxes.

One of the things I'm interested in is making more of the battalions I'm interested in, 60th Rifles/KRRC in green (I'm W-I-P in grey serge now)

I just did up about eight figures like them in the green uniform a few weeks ago. They don't have the "propper" piths with the Maltese cross, but I think they look spiffy.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2015, 10:06:24 AM »
And of course the other thing about this is that a box of 40 would make 3 12 man units for TMWWBK (+ spares), which, if you add upgrades, could be a full 24pt field force. Remove the upgrades and buy a Perry metal Mountain gun or an Empress (or similar) Gardner/Gatling gun to add to that force and you still have a 24 point field force for the Sudan or Zulu Wars. Job done  ;)

Stop scribbling on here and get the rules sorted... I want a set... I want 'em now!

o_o  :)  o_o
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Anna Elizabeth

• Scientist
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2015, 01:46:24 PM »
:o :o I have over 200 of the plastic Empress/Warlord figures, but I think I need 200 more plastic troops!

Lets not forget the Steampunk/VSF crowd who will easily buy up these figures as well. I have a few friends who play In Her Majesty's Name and I can easily see a few of them buying boxes.

I just did up about eight figures like them in the green uniform a few weeks ago. They don't have the "propper" piths with the Maltese cross, but I think they look spiffy.

I'm thinking of using the Empress separate heads w/ regimental badge on the pith helmet.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2015, 03:51:38 PM »
I'm thinking of using the Empress separate heads w/ regimental badge on the pith helmet.

Good idea!  8)

Darrell.

Offline abelp01

• Librarian
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2015, 07:42:21 PM »
Yes, another vote for plastic Pathans please.

HEAR! HEAR!

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2015, 08:09:36 PM »
Plastic Pathans would ceratinly be near the top of my wish list too, have fond memories of the skirmish games I used to play with friends using the NWF figures the Perry's did for Foundry.

Although I prefer the NWF, I have to admit I have just ordered a box of the plastic Mahdist to see what they are like.  :D

Steve

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2015, 09:38:06 PM »
Plastic Pathans would ceratinly be near the top of my wish list too, have fond memories of the skirmish games I used to play with friends using the NWF figures the Perry's did for Foundry.

Although I prefer the NWF, I have to admit I have just ordered a box of the plastic Mahdist to see what they are like.  :D

Steve

I can see that as a real possibility if they do NWF Brits in plastic- it's just the next logical step.

I intend to use my Artizan NWF stuff for skirmish type games and eventually use the Perry stuff for regimental actions.

Darrell.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2015, 09:46:23 PM »
I've been waiting for plastic pathans ever since they did plastic mahdists.

I had a quick chat to Michael at Salute. He asked if I was interested in the British colonials, and I told him I certainly was, since I have a large NWF collection - including all the Afghan hill tribesmen figures the Perrys did for Foundry 20 years ago - still the best NWF figures on the market as far as I'm concerned, and some of the best Perry-sculpted figures ever, IMHO.
At this, Michael looked slightly wistful and said he used to have about 150 of them himself, but they got borrowed for a game years ago and never came back - he lost track of where they ended up. All he knows is he doesn't have them any more.

Apart from being a sad tale, this makes me think that he may well be in the market for making a plastic set to replace his loss :D

(I suppose I should have thought about that and just asked him really, but I was still too excited by the second HYW set to think so far ahead...  ;))

Offline Anna Elizabeth

• Scientist
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2015, 11:43:08 PM »
^ And I thought it was sad when a guy chipped up the Imperial Inquisitor I had loaned him for a game.

Maybe they will do plastics for all this, though. :)

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2015, 08:02:07 AM »
I'm wondering if the sets will include Colour bearers? Be nice to have the Colours fluttering over yer Thin red Line as the Zulus come on.

>:D
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 08:04:14 AM by Harry Faversham »