Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:19:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690905
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Old Glory Gangland buildings.  (Read 1753 times)

Offline phililphall

• Schoolboy
Old Glory Gangland buildings.
« on: October 08, 2008, 04:04:15 PM »
I bought all five of them and discovered something. They are all corner buildings. You can't put more than two together as they have windows and doors on adjacent sides and often in odd places. There isn't a single building with a door and windows in the front, a door in the rear wall and nothing in the side walls. Trying to put any two buildings together results in a very short "block" of two buildings, and only two buildings will fit together. So how do you handle having a "block" when no two buildings fit together?

The buildings themselves are fair. They are all two story (I'm thinking of cutting the top floor off one of them and making a three story building out of one and single story out of one of them) and the flat roofs need to be sanded to fit flat on the buildings. The brickwork is oversize and isn't architecturally correct around the windows. The casting is pretty crisp and makes for easy painting, although to have "crispness" around the windows you will find yourself having to paint very small bits of brick. The windows themselves are intended to be open to the interior and in some cases the resin in them is thick enough to required a lot of work to open the window.

It may sound like I'm carping about them (I am to a degree), but I'm generally happy with them save for the inability to fit them together in any logical looking city block. I would really like to see them add a couple of buildings with just front and rear doors and blank sidewalls. I would also like to see slanted roofs (common in small town mid-west), and perhaps single floors so you could build up the existing buildings. Having invested in these I'm a bit loathe to start buying other buildings with smaller brickwork.

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Re: Old Glory Gangland buildings.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 04:21:03 PM »
It would require some work, but you could sand down the window panes and fill the window with putty which is then sculpted to match the brickwork.

Also, in some real buildings you will see that windows have been bricked over as new tall buildings went up beside them.

Just some thoughts.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline richarDISNEY

• Mad Scientist
  • Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 02:50:53 PM »
I bought the whole set, and most of mine had some major 'air bubbles' holes in them.   I have not even got half of them filled, and pushed the project aside for a winter month to work on...

This surprised me because I have bought from OG in the past, and had lots of great casts....

I hope that I just got some bad casts, and that yours are better. 
"What exactly is a 'Headpiece to the Staff of Ra'?"

RicharDISNEY

Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club

Offline phililphall

• Schoolboy
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 12:14:16 PM »
The ledges have a few chuncks out of them, but the walls,except for one that is slight bowed, are fine. One of the roofs is warped but I think I can fix it.

The problem with filling in windows is that the ground floors of all the buildings have display type windows with decorative trims on adjacent sides. Three of the buildings have blank walls and any two of them will fit together. But that will leave you with three buildings that don't work well together. I'll figure something out. I've already decided on a vacant lot between two of them.

I bought the whole set, and most of mine had some major 'air bubbles' holes in them.   I have not even got half of them filled, and pushed the project aside for a winter month to work on...

This surprised me because I have bought from OG in the past, and had lots of great casts....

I hope that I just got some bad casts, and that yours are better.