Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:59:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690539
  • Total Topics: 118335
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for 6mm - 8mm ww2/cold war ruleset  (Read 1214 times)

Offline aktr

• Librarian
Looking for 6mm - 8mm ww2/cold war ruleset
« on: February 25, 2021, 08:37:41 AM »
Hi,

A friend of mine was printing me some 1/100 IS-3 tanks for use in Fate of a Nation. He somehow accidently printed a 1/200 scale one instead.

We are now both in awe of this incredibly cute tiny tank and are now looking for recommendations for a ruleset where we can use more tiny tanks.

so does any one have any recommendations so either a WW2 or Cold war ruleset that uses lots of tiny tanks?

A few things I personally would like

1) Lots of tanks - what's the point of playing in tiny scales if your not going to have vast swarms?

2) Nothing to complicated - we are both 'tea and biscuits gamers' don't want anything that's going to take several hours to do one turn

3) hard copy rules - not a deal breaker but I personally like actual physical rule book so if I can et one of those it would be nice

Thanks

Online fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Looking for 6mm - 8mm ww2/cold war ruleset
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 12:35:38 PM »
Blitzkrieg Commander, by Pendraken. Designed for smaller scales, whilst combined arms will work well with tank heavy games. The core mechanisms are pretty straight forward, the optional rules add complexity, but can be ignored to start with. Also have Cold War Commander, if you want to play more recent battles

All Hell Let Loose - on Wargames Vault, by David W. who is part of my gaming group. Designed for 6mm, again combined arms, but can easily be played tank heavy.

Offline aktr

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 02:24:20 PM »
Blitzkrieg Commander, by Pendraken. Designed for smaller scales, whilst combined arms will work well with tank heavy games. The core mechanisms are pretty straight forward, the optional rules add complexity, but can be ignored to start with. Also have Cold War Commander, if you want to play more recent battles

All Hell Let Loose - on Wargames Vault, by David W. who is part of my gaming group. Designed for 6mm, again combined arms, but can easily be played tank heavy.

Thank you. Blitzkrieg commander sound interesting so I shall look into those in more details

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 05:39:32 PM »
Although not my own preference, I can recommend Rapid Fire as a fun rule set that puts lots of vehicles on the table with straightforward mechanics. Loads of supporting force lists, scenarios and campaign guides. It has been around for years and has a big following, designed for 20mm it transfers brilliantly to 6mm/10mm without changing ranges or distances etc.

https://www.rapid-fire-uk.com

I game historic scenario WW2 extensively in 6mm with more involved rules: Kampfgruppe Normandy (now the Battlegroup *** series), Spearhead and Panzer Korps depending on how big a battle we are playing. Each of these has a Cold War/Modern variant also that uses the same mechanics.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 05:52:02 PM »
I like Battlegroup for 15 and 20mm but not sure if they can handle the “lots of tanks”. The PSC modern set “Battlegroup NORTHAG” is aimed at 10/12mm so may be OK but I haven’t played it yet.

Online fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 07:05:17 PM »
I like Battlegroup for 15 and 20mm but not sure if they can handle the “lots of tanks”. The PSC modern set “Battlegroup NORTHAG” is aimed at 10/12mm so may be OK but I haven’t played it yet.

I’d agree with that, I like Battlegroup but feel its for fewer models on the table.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 11:53:28 AM »
I’d agree with that, I like Battlegroup but feel its for fewer models on the table.

You can play big battles with the Battlegroup series rules but it takes a while and needs players conversant with the rule mechanics as it is not a "fast play" system. Although we use the virtually identical KGN (never made the move to the non Warhammer Historical version) we have had several games with over a 100 bases on the table. The way the initiative system works avoids the big game pitfall of having too many things to move & fire in each turn.
Admittedly Spearhead would have given a much better "game" for that battle size, but as players the extra detail of 1 model = 1 tank is absorbing.

Online fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2021, 12:27:02 PM »
I think that is true of most sets, if the players know what they are doing you can play a much bigger game. Our group seems to suffer from too many rules and periods, so there are always players who don’t know the rules. Frankly some of them don’t seem to know the rules even if we play the same game for 6 months!

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
  • Flittering from one project to another
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2021, 10:50:56 PM »
it sounds like you're describing Blitzkrieg Commander/Cold War Commander. It's relatively simple and can be scaled easily from a dozen models/bases a size right up to multi-day mega games.

BKIV is available in hard copy from Pendraken, or as a PDF from the Wargames Vault. CWC is currently being worked on for re-release by Pendraken, however the original is still a great game and available as a PDF from the Wargames Vault.

For my 6mm games I use Fistful of TOWs III. It seems daunting to get into as the rulebook is hundreds of pages; however, the bulk of this is taken up with TO&E and unit stats for a wide range of WW2 and modern forces. You can get the free introductory WW2 (Germans/Soviets/Americans) or modern (US/WARPAC) here which will give you a good idea of how the game plays. FFoT will require slightly bigger forces, with the basic maneuver unit being a western/allied company (2 -4 tanks) against a Soviet battalion (6 - 9 tanks), however you can easily get a good game with a dozen western/allied tanks against 2 dozen Soviet tanks. It's a great game even with just armour, without branching out to infantry combat.

Offline aktr

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2021, 08:17:01 AM »
Hi,

Thanks everyone

I have ordered the Blitzkrieg Commander 4 rules set so hopefully let will cover my needs. I have looked at Fistful of Tows 3 but the rulebook is nearly £50 posted which is a little of the pricey side

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2021, 08:41:40 AM »
Good luck with Battlegroup Commander. Not my cup of tea but they have a loyal following so I must be missing something. A friend of mine bought FFoTs and we tried them a few times. Our conclusion was that they are for “big battles” as the combat is pretty brutal. They could also do with a bit of an edit as IMHO the ordering wasn’t brilliant.

Offline frank xerox

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2021, 08:01:25 PM »
Shout out for  Tankwreck from me