Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:31:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Miniatures for Yakuza/Japanese Gangster games set post-war - late 70's  (Read 3965 times)

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
Inspired by Branded to Kill, The Yakuza and other 1960's/70's gangster films I want to try gaming it myself, any recommendations for miniatures?

28mm is my chosen scale, I know of Dixon and fistful of kung fu but i'm after miniatures  low tech weaponry, revolvers, older automatics/post-war surplus, not uzis and hi tech rifles/machine guns, as Japan was so anti-gun even a simple revolver could be a game changer.

Online Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
There's also the Yakuza Kingpin pack from Foundry's Street Violence range:
http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/our-ranges/street-violence/dark-heart-city-collection-bcsv003/

Otherwise, there are lots of usually lightly or unarmed 1960s or 1970s figures in Crooked Dice's 7TV, Killer B's Geezers (same sculptor as Dixon's Yakuza), and Artizan and Copplestone's Kiss Kiss Bang Bang ranges.  Few are explicitly Japanese, but careful paint work and/or headswaps could change that.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 06:58:04 PM by Steve F »
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
North Star produces a package of Japanese gangsters in support of the recently-released rules "Fistful of Kung Fu". You might find that they work for the time period you mention. (IE, none of them have p90s or cell-phones in hand...)
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
And Dixon
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
Otherwise, there are lots of usually lightly or unarmed 1960s or 1970s figures in Crooked Dice's 7TV, Killer B's Geezers (same sculptor as Dixon's Yakuza), and Artizan and Copplestone's Kiss Kiss Bang Bang ranges.  Few are explicitly Japanese, but careful paint work and/or headswaps could change that.
This would be my best advice
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius

I had a similar idea a few years ago and put these together. At the back 1 Artizan KKBB agent and Two Foundry Street Violence Sumotori. At the front L to R, two Dixon Yakuza and another Foundry Street Violence. They all fit well together sizewise and I chose figures that had a sort of faux 60s look.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 01:08:56 AM by Bugsda »
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
Dixon are nice. you could probably pick up duplicate packs and do some head swaps quite easy.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
I definitely need to pick up one of the fixon lacks, it's pretty much perfect, killer b is an idea especially if they are by the same person...

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
What a timely thread. I picked up the Foundry Yakuza Kingpin pack at Salute (I've been wanting to paint this set for a long time) and am now looking for additional figures. Fortunately for my wallet, I didn't this thread until after Salute, otherwise I might have picked up some Yakuza from Dixon.

BTW - If you are looking for some inspiration, watch the film Black Rain - although set in the late 1980s, it's still great fro atmosphere.
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius

BTW - If you are looking for some inspiration, watch the film Black Rain - although set in the late 1980s, it's still great fro atmosphere.

Good film but I couldn't swallow the Harley beating the Suzuki in a race, My disbelief can only be suspended so far  ;)