Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:22:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Space, to boldly go where...uh...hrm...wow those are tiny  (Read 14286 times)

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Space, to boldly go where...uh...hrm...wow those are tiny
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2015, 08:03:10 PM »
thanks !

That's why I didn't simulate shipping costs myself, I was thinking that I had to register or something like this. But I have been able to have an estimation without registering, wich is a cool feature (wich is pretty rare these days on internet stores).

The cost (shipping included to France) is about 2euros for one ship, in frosted detail finish.Now I also have to compare more seriously with other products available.  8)

Offline javelin98

• Schoolboy
    • National Cheese Emporium!
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2015, 03:09:11 AM »
Well, it's nice to know that someone from Amarillo Design Bureau is on these forums.

I am sorry to have to be the bearer of bad news, but unfortunately we have received a copyright infringement notice for your model MicroFleet TNG Coalition Sampler (9 pcs).

Therefore we have no choice but to remove your design at this time. I am sorry to have to do this, but Amarillo Design Bureau owns the copyrights and/or various paid licenses with Paramount to this design. They have sent an extensive list of designs which your shop infringes so I would advise you to not upload any more designs which may infringe their copyrights.

Our full content policy is below if you would like to know more, and if you feel this takedown is in error, you are welcome to submit a counter-takedown as outlined here. More information about the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) is here.. Additionally, I am happy to introduce you to the other party if you wish.

Thank you for your understanding. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at any time.

Best,
Natalia

Natalia Krasnodebska | Shapeways Community Manager
natalia@shapeways.com

Shapeways has taken down nearly all the ships now.  However, I'm going to file a challenge to see if I can get them to put all those back up, especially since the majority of them are not designs that ADB has the license to.

Sorry, folks!  I'll try to get this ironed out as quickly as possible!
Visit the
National Cheese Emporium!
For Wargamers with Discriminating Tastes
(Note: No actual cheese was harmed during the making of these miniatures)

Offline Rhelyk

• Librarian
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2015, 07:06:53 PM »
NO! Damnit! I come back to this thread talking about all the awesomeness of those ships just in time for ADB to be prickish :( This is terrible news as I already have sizable (heh heh) fleets for the 3 main races in the skirmish pack and the space stations, but I still need to puck up astra gators, webbians and Kzouti. And the Leerans, I don't remember seeing them on your shop before. A skirmish pack of those 4 races would be absolutely grand, but not if it gets you in any trouble :(

Hopefully that gets settled and the ships come back up for sale, they're FANTASTIC for people that think 3"+ long starships for a game with 1" hexes is stupid

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2015, 11:46:08 AM »
Every time Trek minis come up, I always end up pining for the old FASA ships. There's something almost disgraceful about how the modern licensees with access to modern technology can't seem to come close to the quality of 30 year old hand-mastered minis.

Some of the ADB stuff is okay, but it's very hit and miss, and they appear to be leaning quite heavily on the simplicity of TOS designs.

Attack Wing plastics are just terribad.

The old FASA minis were beautiful, with lots of fine, crisply rendered, visually in scale details. These new ones all have ultra-chunky sculpting, with simplified slab-like shapes and "detail" that looks like it was carved out of cheese with a backhoe. What the heck happened? We have CAD software and hi-res 3D printing now, what possible excuse can modern ship minis have for looking so much more like crappy home card jobs than 30 year old minis?

I feel like home brewed 3D files and Shapeways-like services are the only way to go now if you want good ST ship minis.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline Whitwort Stormbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2015, 06:41:21 PM »
I've seen some very nice repaints of the Heroclix/Attack Wing ships, they just need a little care and attention.  In the scheme of things, not more work than you'd put into a pewter miniature, really.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2015, 08:18:29 PM »
Tooting my own horn here, but I have been working to get Javelins files working on my home printer. Progress so far can be found here:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=76210.0
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2015, 01:02:24 AM »
I've seen some very nice repaints of the Heroclix/Attack Wing ships, they just need a little care and attention.  In the scheme of things, not more work than you'd put into a pewter miniature, really.

I've seen some decent repaints too. It helps a little, but there's a limit to how much you can polish a sufficiently bad mini. No matter how they're painted, they still look like chunky Lego ships.

But I guess that sort of answers my question anyway: the modern manufacturers don't care about quality because they know people will buy them and even defend them regardless.

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2015, 04:06:12 AM »
Every time Trek minis come up, I always end up pining for the old FASA ships. There's something almost disgraceful about how the modern licensees with access to modern technology can't seem to come close to the quality of 30 year old hand-mastered minis.

Some of the ADB stuff is okay, but it's very hit and miss, and they appear to be leaning quite heavily on the simplicity of TOS designs.

Attack Wing plastics are just terribad.

The old FASA minis were beautiful, with lots of fine, crisply rendered, visually in scale details. These new ones all have ultra-chunky sculpting, with simplified slab-like shapes and "detail" that looks like it was carved out of cheese with a backhoe. What the heck happened? We have CAD software and hi-res 3D printing now, what possible excuse can modern ship minis have for looking so much more like crappy home card jobs than 30 year old minis?

I feel like home brewed 3D files and Shapeways-like services are the only way to go now if you want good ST ship minis.
Agree with this completely.  I loved the FASA ships.  My ham fisted teenage self usually wound up bending the nacelle struts on my beautiful enterprise and other federation vessels. 
This is my boomstick!

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2015, 06:44:11 AM »
The only FASA ship I still have is a single Romulan Gallant Wing, which is staring at me across the desk right now. The level and quality of detail on it is amazing (though a bit spoiled on the nacelles by mold misalignment). I want to cast a few resin copies so I can have a squadron or two of 'em if I ever get to play a Trek game.

I actually got this one off a forum exchange out about 10 years ago. Always liked the Gallant Wing because of how well it fits with the movie-era aesthetic, rounding out the K'Tinga and Refit Connie with a perfectly like-minded update of the classic BOP. Though you wouldn't know it from looking at the FASA line art: the actual mini has corrugated paneling that "really ties the room together" so to speak, whereas in the plain line art it looks pretty bland.

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2015, 08:01:32 AM »
I've got two of those gallant wing ships.  I have the same problem with the join between wing and engine being misaligned.  And the feather panels look great with the whole bird of prey aesthetic.  I would be interested in seeing some of your painted ships.  The only one I have remaining that is also painted is a Klingon D7.

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2015, 08:53:36 AM »
Heh, I just got done stripping it, actually. It still had the paint from its previous owner on it (which was actually pretty neat: he'd hand painted a TOS-style bird on the bottom), and I wanted to do my own thing on it to use it with my "build something" entry. Upshot is I should have it repainted to show pretty soon.

The misalignment on mine is on the outside of the nacelles. It's the sort of thing that ordinarily would be super easy to fix with a file, but with this mini it cuts right through a lot of engraved panel detail that'd be hard to to restore, so I might have to just leave it.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 08:56:27 AM by Connectamabob »

Offline javelin98

• Schoolboy
    • National Cheese Emporium!
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2015, 09:26:18 PM »
So, ten weeks later, I have a status update.  While Mr. Cole refuses to even speak with me, I finally got Shapeways to agree that I had met the requirements under the DMCA to repost my ships, so that's what I'm doing now.  It'll take a few days, but I'll eventually get all of them up, along with some newer stuff that never got posted in the first place, thanks to the takedown debacle.

As an aside, I'm already planning on making a couple other of those skirmish packs -- such as one with Coalition and Cardashian ships and my version of DS9 -- and I'd be curious to know what other mix-and-match sets people might like to see.  Any historic space battles people want to fight out?  Wolf 359 comes to mind, of course, but that was a pretty one-sided affair...