Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:05:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Mormons?  (Read 4049 times)

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
Mormons?
« on: April 18, 2015, 08:27:13 PM »
All,
      After watching and reading "Riders of the Purple Sage' and watching "Hell on Wheels", I am thinking of adding some Mormons to my Western games.  Other than somber colors and beards, is there anything else that would make them different from ordinary Cowboys?

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
Re: Mormons?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 10:06:10 PM »
All,
      After watching and reading "Riders of the Purple Sage' and watching "Hell on Wheels", I am thinking of adding some Mormons to my Western games.  Other than somber colors and beards, is there anything else that would make them different from ordinary Cowboys?
they would be more conservatively dress than other cowboys, more like store keepers.
Edit
another good movie is The Avenging Angel from 1995 with Tom Berenger
Avenging Angel is a 1985 Sexy vigilante film with Betsy Russell
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 11:50:28 PM by The Gray Ghost »
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 07:10:30 AM »
And "September Dawn" (Mountain Meadow Massacre) is another movie.

What miniatures do you use? I found it hard to find minis with the characteristic hats and coats

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 10:22:09 PM »
All,
      After watching and reading "Riders of the Purple Sage' and watching "Hell on Wheels", I am thinking of adding some Mormons to my Western games.  Other than somber colors and beards, is there anything else that would make them different from ordinary Cowboys?

Magic underpants.

Alternatively you could take the route of depicting them as 19th C versions of the Osmonds. Lots of dazzlingly white teeth.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 11:22:55 PM »
For the men conservative dress, but even that's a generality - there was nothing to set Mormons apart and the ubiquitous black jacket was the same Sunday best all the other protestants wore. Women clung to the bonnet after it had started to fall out of fashion, but the same could be said of rural folks throughout the west.

Numbers was the big thing to identify Mormons by - Mormons were about as unpopular as renegade Indians and would be blamed for anything if someone thought beating the living daylights out of a bystander would make them feel better so outside of the Mormon strongholds Mormon settlers would travel in groups of three or four minimum, eight or nine would be better.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 01:26:44 AM »
Well, now that just has to be having extra wives to sell off at gold mining camps!   lol

Now get busy and paint your wagons!

Offline admiraldick

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 04:44:21 PM »
looks like you guys have forgotten the single greatest film about Mormons set in the Old West - Cannibal the Musical.

though, the costumes in that are done on such a shoe-string that only the woman in it has anything even approximating something appropriate for the era.

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 07:42:33 PM »

Online marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 11:05:16 AM »
"Magic underpants."  Totally agree!!
Carlos you totally cracked me up - gin up the nose   lol lol lol lol  How would you paint those?  This sounds like a challenge for the ever talented (and mildly demented) Bugsda (What do you say Chris?)
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline admiraldick

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2015, 06:35:37 PM »
Ooh, chairface reminds me of the perry ACW rioters. Their costumes are pretty dated by Wild West era standards, so they fit in quite well as extremely traditional types (which is how they are often depicted in westerns).

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/index.php?cPath=23_32&page=3&osCsid=qv4c88bsf80goabb3ee048bp24

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2015, 07:09:58 PM »
Don't forget the chinny beards. Very popular on the elders especially.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2015, 07:21:29 PM »
What do you say Chris?

Got any research material Lon?

I did try and pull a Mormon bird back in the 70s, unfortunately, unless you were Donny Osmond you had no chance of a look at her pants.  lol

Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2015, 10:44:08 PM »

I did try and pull a Mormon bird back in the 70s, unfortunately, unless you were Donny Osmond you had no chance of a look at her pants.  lol

Names and genders have been changed to maintain the victim's anonymity....

http://scandalouswoman.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/joyce-mckinney-and-manacled-mormon.html

See, there's another option: handcuffs.

:D

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2015, 03:35:54 PM »
Good ideas from all, thanks.